1970s Tribute

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Angry Tele, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

good move with the baking soda and superglue. and it's good to publish how you did it, lots of guitarists visit this site, and if they don't know about this trick, let them learn here.

I still am GASing over your pix...

2. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

the baking soda and super glue trick also works well on small stripped screw holes like on the rear tuning pegs,etc..

3. Alowishus

Alowishus New Member

This is such a sweet guitar man, I actually went 2 weeks ago in search of a really reliable gig guitar with good tone. I went to GC and was really losing hope trying out every guitar, and getting rather annoyed hearing every other person playing "sweet child of mine" lol but! then i saw the 70's tribute in vintage burst and absolutely lost my mind, it looked so freaking cool and the mini buckers are what definitely grabbed me, not too heavy and not too flimsy in tone! and low and behold i had found my guitar, put it on layaway and pull it out from its prison on monday! im so freaking excited and seeing someone who loves theirs just as much confirms as to why im going into that forsaken place every 2 days to just sit down and play it lol

question: did you have trouble finding a good fitting case for it? mine just wasn't fitting right in any of the cases they had there and it was really frustrating.

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I bought the genuine Gibson case for my SG... like getting my favorite lady a new dress. I'm head over heels for my SG, and nothing's too good for her.
    The real deal case is pricey, but it fits perfectly and looks great. SKB makes a more practical case, I have one of those for my Telecaster and it's Gorilla tough, fits very well and I'd highly recommend it. The Gibson Case seems more vulnerable to road damage... the SKB is less expensive, less attractive but very good protection.

I also bought my SG from godforsaken GC, and they let me trade in the included gig bag on the good case, so that took some of the sting out of the price. SGs need to be protected well, as they are fragile in the headstock area. So a good case is cheap insurance. Like good tires.

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

I don thave a case yet. I plan on getting a real Gibson case as they are really nice. My local has them for $129; GC , where I bought the Sg charges $169 :dunno:

Ill say this: the softshell case I got with the guitar is really nice, with the contrasting white interior.

I keep my squier CVC in it. :applause:

SG + Sofcase =impending tragedy. (volute or not)

I will get a hardschell case soon.

6. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Good Idea! A hard case for a SG is pretty much mandatory.

7. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

only just seen this. bit late for hngd. but just had to say im loving the pics. what a cool guitar and some cool posts.

my sg came in a hard case and its such a snug fit that i wouldn't even think of putting it in anything else. i got a second hand brown gibson case for my epi lp that only cost me £70. i know its different to the sg case, but my point was you could get a second hand case a bit cheaper.

8. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

I was at my local M&P, and I asked the guy if they ever get any used cases for sale.(because I would gladly buy a slightly beat-up, but perfectly fine case for half price) He said, "No way man! For me to buy a used case it would have to be mint" :ohno:

then I saw he had a used G&G Fender case all beat to hell and I said, "like that! but a Gibson" he just walked away. :dunno:

they just wanna sell brand new ones

9. cigblues3

cigblues3 Member

I just got my 70s tribute and agree with everything said. They are different in a good way. Any other cases fit and support neck other than Gibson? How about brown Gator?

10. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

a tad cheaper than a Gibson case
    SG Type Hardshell by SKB Cases