1971 SG Custom body project

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by TNT, Aug 20, 2009.

1. TNT

TNT Active Member

2. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

:Droolin:

I want that.

I'd either repaint it black and switch it to two PUPs and white PG, or just restore it to the original color and options. Either way it's a beaut.

3. TNT

TNT Active Member

I was thinkin' white with white 3-pup guard/ gold hardware like the infamous Strange Brew/Entropy Dave guitar.

4. TNT

TNT Active Member

I was curious as to whether anyone here is bidding on it?

5. suicidehummer

See what I was saying though about the early Norlin SGs... $1400 for a Custom (okay, no electronics, but I've seen a black Custom in working order go for $750).

6. TNT

TNT Active Member

I'd say that it slams your theory actually. $1400.00 for almost a bare body! They are rare though. Built up and restored it would probably push over $5k. Here again, if you see any SG Custom for $750.00 you'd better buy it! The one you saw must've been a copy or a spray bomb nightmare with a busted neck.Think about that $1400.00 and what new guitars you can buy for that price.

7. suicidehummer

8. TNT

TNT Active Member

I would be afraid of what was under the paint, and apparently so were the bidders. The volute looks more like a '72-newer BTW. That being said, ESG member Brucewayne131 could make it a nice guitar, but you'd probably double that price to get it there.

9. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Well, you'd might want tone pro's parts and hand wound pups to ones taste , mine being Jim Rolphs's, then maybe RS controls so they work right, with vintage moulded caps from the 50's to loose that modern harshness and while ya at it get the volute shaved down and Louigie to do it up in Phelham blue, if I even spelled that roit .. the case we could leave as is ;D .. all runs, hits and no errors :) like last nights Yanks/Boston Game :coolsmiley:

10. suicidehummer

[quote author=TNT link=topic=19655.msg238465#msg238465 date=1251161537]
    I would be afraid of what was under the paint, and apparently so were the bidders. The volute looks more like a '72-newer BTW. That being said, ESG member Brucewayne131 could make it a nice guitar, but you'd probably double that price to get it there.
    [/quote]

He explained exactly what was under the paint; plugged holes and repaired breaks. But it's a black guitar and I would keep it black so it doesn't bother me.

And there's no way it's a '72 or newer because the '72 Stds had front mounted PGs and the later SGs had the PUPs right against the FB.

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=19655.msg238468#msg238468 date=1251162561]
    Well, you'd might want tone pro's parts and hand wound pups to ones taste , mine being Jim Rolphs's, then maybe RS controls so they work right, with vintage moulded caps from the 50's to loose that modern harshness and while ya at it get the volute shaved down and Louigie to do it up in Phelham blue, if I even spelled that roit .. the case we could leave as is ;D .. all runs, hits and no errors :) like last nights Yanks/Boston Game :coolsmiley:
    [/quote]

I wouldn't shave the volute. Not only does it reinforce the HS from snapping, it helps distinguish it as a Norlin era SG.

And Pelham blue on a large PG SG?... :-\

11. TNT

TNT Active Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19655.msg238479#msg238479 date=1251176082]
    He explained exactly what was under the paint; plugged holes and repaired breaks. But it's a black guitar and I would keep it black so it doesn't bother me.There are repaired breaks, and there are badly repaired breaks

And there's no way it's a '72 or newer because the '72 Stds had front mounted PGs and the later SGs had the PUPs right against the FB.It's not a Standard, remember? It's a Custom. Customs never had the front mounted control cavity cover and I'm not sure about the fingerboard/neck pup spacing on the early '70s Custom

I wouldn't shave the volute. Not only does it reinforce the HS from snapping, it helps distinguish it as a Norlin era SG....which you loathe.

And Pelham blue on a large PG SG?... :-\Again, it's a Custom, and a custom Custom at that. Any color could be specified. It would just as original as the black.I've seen some limited run recent SG Specials in a satin Pelham that look really nice with the full 'guard.
    [/quote]

12. suicidehummer

Pelham Blue just ain't for me.

And true, the breaks could be badly repaired.

And yeah, I forgot that the Customs didn't change.

And I don't loathe Norlin era SGs, I just don't think they're worth much. I actually kind of like them in a weird way.