1979 “The SG” Value?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Oig, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Good score.

[​IMG]

PS. I have a '79 The Paul that I haven't played since shortly after buying it about 8-9 years ago..(on right))
    000_0136 (5).jpg
    Hey! Maybe it's time to dig that bitch out & sell it now??

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Or play it... :D If it's anything like mine it should play really well. Mine still has the lowest action in my stable, and has never needed adjustment since I initially set it up 35 years ago. Solid as a rock, though admittedly it's also about as heavy!:rofl:

3. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Oh they are solid AF no doubt about that. And if you love seeing wood grain (guilty) they can be quite satisfying visually, although I'd rather see a one piece or split & complimentary matching 2 sided splices right down the middle.

Truth be told, this was bought years ago at a really decent price (approx $700 us) largely because I could see it had the original T-Top pickups & I absolutely love that tonal response of these pups (as well as earlier versions of course) and at the time, those T-Tops were regularly selling for $125-$150 (& up beyond that for Patent Sticker pups) so.. the math said BUY IT!

Ya see, truth be told, I'm a tremolo loving / needing guy & the stop-taill set up always eventually leaves me.. oh lets just say, wanting.

But, really it is a perfectly great guitar otherwise!

I guess it comes down to being all about personal wants & needs don't eh?

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get that. Guitars and desired features are a very individual thing. If you should decide to sell/trade your "The Paul", I'm sure you won't have too much difficulty finding a buyer. There is a lot more interest in them now than over the past 20-30 years. A lot of people thought mine was a rather boring looking instrument, except the ones who took me up on the offer to let them drive it around a bit.

5. Southpa

Southpa New Member

From the 2021 Vintage Guitar Price Guide.

The SG 1979-1983. Offered as The SG Standard (walnut body) and The SG Deluxe (mahogany), ebony board, 2 HB's. $650 - $850.US dollars

6. MR D

MR D Active Member

Bro, if its an opinion your after, I owned a few of those 'The SG's.Original Pickup's sounded pretty bad-ass and the walnut/ebony wood combo does have a sound of its own plugged in, acoustically it sounded pretty bad, deadest sounding guitar I ever played AAMOF. The original 'Chainsaw' HSCase was the best thing about it really, though it did have a TP6 Tailpiece, the one I kept... I Kept one for sentimental reasons, thought I'd never sell it...then a '17 SG Standard came along and blew the strings off of the '79 'The SG'. I looked at the prices on reverb and they are fairly ridiculous IMO.Those guitars were $500 new and IMO are worth not a dime more than $1100, and that much only because USA money is becoming worthless.IIWY, I'd spoend $2 Grand on something else.
    If it was already yours I would say keep it and never sell it as it will only go up in value...not because it is worth it, but just because the vintage guitar market tends to go up.I sold all my vintage GIBSON's and,IMO, got better sounding ones made in the last 5-7 years !

7. Oig

Oig Member

Maybe they’re being conservative, but this doesn’t seem to reflect actual market values at all. Here’s what they’ve been selling for on Reverb… FCC8B45B-4852-40B0-B914-92B5F98871DD.jpeg

Chuteboxehero likes this.
  8. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Reverb sold listings are the best source regarding what someone is willing to pay currently for any particular guitar. And right now the market dictates it's 2 to 3 times what the vintage guitar price guide suggests. The used guitar market has gone insane over the past year and a half.

Oig likes this.