1980 SG Firebrand headstock color

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I saw that price tag too. The closeup of the gap at the back of neck joint worries me, but if stable as they claim it to be, looks like a nice early 1979 model with the harmonica bridge. Wonder if the bridge pup is a Velvet Brick?

drown

Reaction score
BTW the other vendor I initially posted about acknowledged an issue with the headstock, rewrote the posting and offered it to me at significant discount.

jgodin312

Reaction score
Looking at an SG Firebrand from a seller claiming it's a 1980 model. I'm not an expert but most I've seen the headstock was a natural finish. This one has a black finish. Branded logo seems rather unclean and finish on headstock has some issues. Wondering whether it's possible this is a fake? Or that previous owner painted it black? Some other issues with the guitar including not original pickups. Thoughts? Serial numbers appear to check out to a 1980 era Gibson SG. I've seen non-ebony Firebrands from 1982 with black headstock like this....

Switch is in correct location for a firebrand. But all the other I've seen had tulip shaped tuners, whereas this one has kidneys....
so, I own this actual guitar now - bought it from Atomic Music in MD. It's been great, though I did a lot of work to it - re-fretted, new GraphTech nut, and replaced the pickups with lower output seymour duncans. (the seymour duncans in it were way too hot for me). Here's a video:

MR D

Reaction score
As others point out, headstock was painted...too bad about that CRACK..... the ones I had of this model had a silk-screened GOLD GIBSON logo...

Having owned a number of these guitars (all 1979 'The SG's) I thought they were the shizzle...and for a time I guess they were...until i picked up a 2017 SG Standard......just no comparison...... and my beloved '79 'The SG', 'THE ONE' remaining one that I thought I would never sell...was gone shortly thereafter...... DGMW, for $499 back in the day, they were a bargain. LBR, you get what you pay for, hopefully.

Last edited:

jgodin312

Reaction score
Nice Playing JGodin. Love it. Any other links to your music?
Thanks, I'm trying to post links but it won't let me because I get a message that it's considered 'spam'. If you go to the youtube channel for that video above, and click 'about', and then the instagram link, there's more music there.

Latest posts