2 amps wired to 1 set of speakers?

Sweetums

Reaction score
Got a question. If I really like the speakers in a combo amp (AMP 1), is there any reason I could not / should not make a new input jack for just the speakers and run another amp head (AMP 2) through just the combo speakers?

As long as I match wattage ratings, ohms, etc., this would work, right?

I would just use the positive/negative connections for the new "in" jack on each speaker that AMP 1 is not using, right?

To be clear, I understand I should not have AMP 1 powered on while using AMP 2.

Below is an example of what I'm talkin' bout... vox cab.jpg

Clifdawg

Reaction score
There's no reason you can't (I remember seeing someone do this with a Fender Mustang III once so they could swap between modelling SS and a low-wattage tube head), but the problem is that inevitable one time you forget to plug the speaker back in on amp 1 and crank up.

It's not altogether inadvisable, just risky. If you're willing to double check the inputs every time you turn on, go for it. Otherwise, get a dedicated cab.

Sweetums

Reaction score
Okay, but I could rewire the speakers to connect to an jack input plate, rewire AMP 1 to a jack (instead of directly to the speakers), then I would just be able to plug in either AMP 1 or AMP 2 in the single jack input plate. Right? I've seen this in other amps, like a Blue Deville.

Reactions: LDS

gball

Reaction score
Does the combo amps speaker connection terminate with a standard 1/4” plug? Unplug and use an extender cable.

Latest posts