2000-2010 SG Standard

Browning

Reaction score
I was given some advice to look for SG Standards from 2000-2010. Is it true that these production years were better?

Thank you

papagayo

Reaction score
I have 3 SGs Standard, 2000, 2012 and 2015. The three SGs are very good guitar. May be my 2004 SG Special is the best... :cheers:

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Aside from certain features and options changing through the years, there is nothing inherently "better" or "worse: Just get one that you like and enjoy. Most of the cork sniffing involves fixating on very specific features or criteria that is then blown out of proportion to justify some imagined "golden age" . When buying and selling used guitars with inflated price tags, cork sniffing usually comes into play at some point.

Last edited:

laza616

Reaction score
How could someone tell this? Its only possible
to judge the instrument by the year if the one played every single one from all these years and after and before..... compared them .... And based on a close comparison he came to some valid results.....
Its impossible!
And if someone buys for example 2014 sg and it didnt meet his expectations he automatically calls the entire year bad? What if i or anyone else picked this exact guitar and played it and said its amazing? Would it mean to you that the entire year is great?
This is such a nonsense......everyone has a different expectations, criteria .... So every opinion is heavily personal ,...so its not important for you what your neighbour says about one particular year of Gibson guitars
So the only answer for that kind of question is : play the guitar, try it. And of you like it and feel like its the one, then buy it
If not, try another until you find the ONE....
Thats it.
The beauty of this is, that you can apply it to literally ANY brand or any type of a guitar.
After all, its you who will play the guitar. Dont get false hopes for some "year" because someone randomly said on the internet that this yesr was good ..... What if 2022 will be the best Gibson year at all? Should we all sell our guitars and wait until 2022 will come out. Hell, my 2009 is fine and i am happy with everything on it. If 2022 will be "better"? So be it, good for Gibson and players too.

Bbr6704

Reaction score
Nothing more to say, except if you're looking for a special year for a particular reason (year of birth?).
This apart, SGs, and guitars in general aren't wine (and even with wine, opinions may vary...)

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Yup, the main difference between new and "vintage" instruments is that the older a guitar is, the more likely it is a survivor. The lemons from 1963 were most likely scrapped or fixed by someone who cared long long ago. A guitar that just left the factory with bad intonation or a high action will almost certainly not have that problem after a few years of being out in the wild because someone will have recognized it and fixed it or had it done. More serious problems can also be repaired if you care enough. Again, the older an instrument is, the more likely someone has done exactly that.

Latest posts