2007 Gibson SG standard ‘61 reissue (possible GOTW content)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by JesseXGibson, Jun 3, 2020.

1. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

So I was doing some digging on my local classifieds, and came across this sg. $1400 cdn. He doesn’t know much about it, and neither do I. But from what I gather online it could be a 61’ ri standard in satin walnut, GOTW #35. I just wanted to see if anyone could weigh in on that. Is that what this is? Should I pull the trigger? Also how can you tell which one out of 400 you have?

arcticsg likes this.
  2. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

Looks legit. Headstock crown is in correct position. Neck joint looks right.

3. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

Perfect, I’m going to have a look at it on Friday!

I did have side question however, another sg came up on kijiji which only happens once every 8 months to a year in my area. It’s a 2016 sg standard, he wants $1100 for it. It’s really clean and comes with hardshell case. Should I save the $300 and get the 2016 standard, or is the ‘61 reissue worth the extra cash? I tried talking him down a hundred or two but no luck. I really only intend on buying one, maybe 2 sgs in my life (ya right) so I want to make sure I don’t miss out on a gem of a guitar, over $300.

4. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

You’re gonna get a ton of differing opinions on this. I really like the dark finish on the 61RI myself.

JesseXGibson likes this.
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

From my experience, an SG '61 Reissue has a Slim Taper neck profile that feels flat on the backside and a 2016 SG Standard has a chunky rounded neck profile.

More $$$ does not always equal better guitar.

Choose the one that plays best for you.
    No one here can make that decision for you.

koaguilds likes this.
  6. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

I only ask because they’re both on a classifieds site, and there’s like a 90% chance I won’t be able to try both. But I am trying.

If the 2016 has a thicker neck, I’ve been looking for a step up in neck size. However if the ‘61 RI neck feels like 60s standard I’d be all over it.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

8. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

Yup that would help lol, thanks! I kind of blindly deciphered it in my head up until “NH1” and figured meh, it’s close enough haha

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Early 60’s had Slim Taper and by late 60’s they were baseball bats.

JesseXGibson likes this.
  10. fishlog

fishlog New Member

The color on the 61 is great... That's a plus as you don't as many. While the 61 neck joint looks sexy as all HEEeelll watch out for the neck flex.
    If the standard has the higher neck heel that neck flex should be much less or non-existent.

11. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

Thanks, I’ll watch for that. I agree it’s much more unique.

Also a bit of an update, I was able to try the 2016 today, it played really well actually and it’s in great condition (also comes with a good hardshell case). I would have sealed the deal but I was also able to arrange a meet up tomorrow with the guy for the ‘61 so looks like I’ll be able to play both and decide from there which is a huuuge plus.

However I won’t be able to play the ‘61 plugged in and I can’t find any sound bites accessible to me, but I’m assuming the ‘61 sounds like any other Sg with 57s?

Thanks for all the info guys, very much appreciated!

koaguilds and cerebral gasket like this.
  12. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

There is a unique vibe of an SG with the larger rounded profile neck attached to the longer style neck joint. Play one next to a slim taper with the smaller 61' style neck joint and you will feel it.

I also have a batwing Standard that has a slim taper with the long style neck joint which is yet another nice flavor of the SG family. I like all the variants.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    JesseXGibson and cerebral gasket like this.
  13. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

I have a pretty good memory of how the 2016 felt, plus it felt kind of similar to an epi sg std I owned a while back, so I’m sure I’ll be able to make a good decision!

14. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

Are the joints on the ‘61 that fragile? As a carpenter my immediate thought is that with proper glue/glueing, joints can be stronger than the wood itself, and with the thickness of the wood on the neck (just an assumption, I’m not sure how thick/thin the ‘61 heel is yet) id imagine it would be fairly hard to flex by hand, unless you apply down force to the body at the same time for leverage, for that tremolo arm effect, which I don’t do. Or maybe a poorly fitted case?

15. BenTobith

BenTobith Member

It has the modern tuner screws rather than push-in bushings. (Which is not surprising, since it isn't Custom Shop.)

16. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I think the deeper tenon shoulders (sides) on the long neck joint is what might contribute to any perceived increase in rigidity. The 61' style neck joint is fine and stable but the tenon has much shallower shoulders (or side surface) in the section that extends under the neck pickup. Not sure if any of that really has much to due with the flex topic.

JesseXGibson likes this.
  17. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

I take really good care on my instruments so I’m sure I won’t have any issues regardless

Bit of an update aswell, I pulled trig on the ‘61!! talked him down an extra $100 and couldn’t be happier! the thing plays and feels much much better to me than the 2016, it’s in amazing condition for the age, it has ver minimum wear but in all the right places. Very proud new sg owner!!

will post a ngd when I have time to take some pics!

koaguilds and rotorhead like this.
  18. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I think you made the right choice, based solely on my on personal preferencea lol.

Before I saw your last post (where you already pulled the trigger), I was going to add that $1,100 is a bit much for a used 2016 std, even in pristine condition. My '17 cost about that much and it was brand new from the store.

JesseXGibson likes this.
  19. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

I think so too! this one played and felt a lot better than the 2016. $1100 is cdn price, in not sure if you saw or if that’s what you paid was cdn$. Even though the 2016 played great, this one beat it by far I’d say and the feel of the neck is right up my alley. Very very happy man right here!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    rotorhead likes this.
  20. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Ahh sorry, I didn't catch the cdn$ ref.

JesseXGibson likes this.