2011 Standard incoming.

One-Wan

Reaction score
Gday Folks,
I’ve had a hankering for a humbucker equipped guitar for a while now, toyed with the idea of a Les Paul but they just never felt or sounded quiet right to me. I’ve had my eye on this one for a while at one of the local shops, he was asking a bit too much for it though.
Curiosity got the better of me and I went in and had a play, and made an offer. Accepted!
It plays really nice, is in excellent condition and has a great neck that’s very close to my ‘08 Classic.
I’m not sold on the 498t 490r combo though, it might end up with some 57 classics or SD 59’s....
I pick it up in a couple of days.

Cheers, Scott.

SYwrmxB.jpg

Last edited:

lcw

Reaction score
Congrats! Awesome SG!!

PS do NOT put 57s in it. Stick with the 490/498

One-Wan

Reaction score
Congrats! Awesome SG!!

PS do NOT put 57s in it. Stick with the 490/498

Why do you say that mate? Not a fan? I’ve actually picked the guitar up just now, I’ve screwed the bridge pickup down a bit to balance it out a bit better with the neck. That seems to improved the way it sounds in the middle position. I also noticed it’s got a PCB in the back, so I’ve just ordered a vintage wiring kit with 500k CTS pots, switch craft jacks and PIO capacitors. I’ll give this a run before I start thinking about pickups. I think the PCB mounted pots are 300k?

Cheers, Scott.

Last edited:

One-Wan

Reaction score
Update. Yeah it sounds pretty nice with the standard pickups, I think Ill leave well enough alone. It will be getting the vintage wiring/500k audio taper pots treatment though, just something I prefer. More pics below, sounds awesome through the mini Z. And a pic with its sister....

Cheers, Scott.

X8Me1Yy.jpg

FidysJR.jpg

Last edited:

VetPsychWars

Reaction score
Why do you say that mate? Not a fan? I’ve actually picked the guitar up just now, I’ve screwed the bridge pickup down a bit to balance it out a bit better with the neck. That seems to improved the way it sounds in the middle position. I also noticed it’s got a PCB in the back, so I’ve just ordered a vintage wiring kit with 500k CTS pots, switch craft jacks and PIO capacitors. I’ll give this a run before I start thinking about pickups. I think the PCB mounted pots are 300k?

Cheers, Scott.

Why on earth you'd waste your money replacing a perfectly good circuit board I have no clue.

In any event, the pots are somewhere between 250k and 300k measured in circuit with the pickups disconnected.

I sure hope you ordered linear pots for your tone controls.

Tom

One-Wan

Reaction score
Why on earth you'd waste your money replacing a perfectly good circuit board I have no clue.

In any event, the pots are somewhere between 250k and 300k measured in circuit with the pickups disconnected.

I sure hope you ordered linear pots for your tone controls.

Tom

Gday Tom, well call me old school, but I just don't like PCBs. All the pots in the Vintage wiring kit are Audio taper 500k. I have the same kit in my SG Classic and it sounds and performs great! I like that I don't have to turn the knobs as far to get tonal or volume changes.

Cheers, Scott.

VetPsychWars

Reaction score
Hey, your money. For the rest of you watching this, there is zero reason to remove your circuit board, especially when you have quick connect pickups.

The reason for the linear pots in the tone controls is because, unlike volume, we perceive the tone change linearly. If it's audio taper, then the center position is not at 5, it's closer to 2.

If you don't mind that, then you're set.

Tom

Latest posts