2013 gibson sg 50's tribute

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by sg61reissuefc, May 29, 2015.

1. sg61reissuefc

sg61reissuefc New Member

I recently bought a 50"s tribute from Sam Ash, it came in perfect condition, very impressed. The funny thing about it is the tuneomatic bridge has allen screws for the up and down adjustments and intonation. I didn't know they put those on that model. How could that have happened? It was a nice surprise. Also do you have any recommendations on the p 90 heigths for the bridge, I moved mine down a little. What is your preference or a good starting point for measurements.

2. sg61reissuefc

sg61reissuefc New Member

Sorry I double posted this.

3. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Somebody upgraded to the Tonepros, that's very common (I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be excellent). I presume your guitar was seconhand then, which is fine if it's in great condition with sensible upgrades.

Do you have pictures?

4. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Yeah if it has the Tonepros bridge that's a big plus. If it has them on the tailpiece as well then you would have the full set

5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I've seen TonePros bridges described in some Gibbie literature from recent years, and Gibson
    was also buying Tuners from TonePros (for several years, including 2012) and installing them
    stock on various models. I have Tone Pros tuners on my 2012 SG special, which was not an
    expensive model (branded Gibson Deluxe). But it has a regular Nashville bridge. Go figure or go fish.

I don't know about the contracts and financial deals between Gibson and TonePros. I believe
    they are a rocky shore... TonePros recently announced they've quit manufacturing the Kluson
    style tuners, so what's that all about, eh? Financial undercutting by Henry Jay and his Hatchetmen?
    (yeah, man I played with those dudes...)
    or Greed and wrong choices on the part of TonePros? Or a new factory set up in China to throw
    more Americans outa work and pay those other guys diddly-squat...

Who knows? not me. But if you have a TonePros locking bridge and/or tail on your Gibbie,
    be glad. Those are excellent.

Oh and I've just bought my first P-90 guitar ever, and I have the same question
    about p'up height.
    One member here suggested (on my NGD thread) to start with the bridge p'up very close to the strings. I wouldn't go closer than 3mm myself, but my mind is open on the subject. I have mine at about 4mm right now, and it sounds great to my ear. One thing I did was to radius the pole pieces, so their arc matches the radius of the bridge, the strings and the fretboard. I began with the low E flush with the cover, and then cranked the A a little higher, and the D a little more, and the G about the same, and the B a little lower etc... now I'm listening while I play, to decide if I need to go up or down with any individual strings.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Crazy_8 likes this.
  6. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I think the tuners on my 2011 Standard might have been the TonePros Gibson Deluxe ones. They are considerably nicer than the Gibson Deluxe ones on my 2007 Special Faded. It didn't come with the TonePros bridge and tailpiece set though, I had to add that myself.

Apparently some LTD Vipers - like the Viper 1000 - came with TonePros bridges and tailpieces. Is that correct? Great deal if that's the case.