2013 Gibson SG Standard - Legit and Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by jaygl, Nov 15, 2017.

1. jaygl

jaygl Member

headstock.jpg Hey all, I'm looking at black 2013 SG Standard. Does it look legit? I don't see any red flags but I'm far from an expert, so I appeal to the gurus on here. Also, what are owners of the 2013 Standards thoughts and opinions about them? Was it a good year and how do they hold up to other years? Thanks and cheers!! front.jpg
    body.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it is pretty much impossible to say from those pictures.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Pics are too small for details. Close up of fret ends (nibs)
    nibbed.jpg
    and the bridge 1nvlbdg.jpg
    would be helpful. Generally looks OK.
    My thirteens are all great. ask me again in twenty years for meaningful results.

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Close ups of bridge area, back of headstock and control cavity would help.

5. jaygl

jaygl Member

Those are the only pics I have of it. I'm going to look at it this evening...any tell tale signs to authenticate it...nibs...pcb in control cavity...posts not screws on bridge...anything else?

6. donepearce

General fit and finish. The picture is taken from a bit of an angle, so it is hard to tell, but check that the truss rod cover is nicely centred. Check the neck joint. The red nitro should end in a tidy line, and not be spilling up onto the binding. And check the binding joints. 45 degrees and coming to a tidy point with the join in the middle of it. Work the tuners - they should feel solid with no play. Run your fingers along the fret ends - they should be smooth.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

One other thing. If the price seem too good to be true, it probably is.

8. jaygl

jaygl Member

$1000 Canadian so the price is on point.

DrBGood likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Active Member

2013's do not have pcb in the control cavity
    Great year for SG's

58pit likes this.
  10. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

As others have said, it's hard to tell from the photos.

I have a 2013 Standard and I think it is a great guitar. I consider it to be a very good year for SG's. They didn't make a '61 Reissue that year and instead made the standard very similar to the reissue.

I believe the only main difference was the neck shape, I could be wrong though.

If I was looking for another one, I'd buy one for $1000 CAD.

How does it play, sound and feel?

11. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

2013 is regarded as one of the best recent years...
    ...in truth, this generalization means nothing. You have to play it, then you know.

If you're wondering if it's fake, Gibson has a place on there website where they will
    validate your serial number, and tell you when the guitar was made, and what the
    original color was, and what the original equipment was.

You mustn't just order a thousand dollar guitar unseen, and unplayed. Of course, guys do
    but not many of us would recommend it. We recommend that you demand good pictures
    from the seller, including a clear shot of the serial number. With that, you can verify the
    guitar.

After determining that the instrument is not fake, then you have to play it through your
    own signal chain, and listen to the tone, and feel the strings under your fingers, and work
    the controls, and strap it on to see if it balances right. If you do all these things, then
    you will know if you want to give up a thousand of your hard earned dollars for it.

The price is fair, if all these check list points are good. The photos you supplied look
    like a real one. But the Chinese fakes are getting better and better, so you have to look
    closely. Here's an article from the Gibson web site about the fight agains fakes:

http://www.gibson.com/news-lifestyle/features/en-us/CounterfeitGibsons.aspx

The problem is, this article is ten years old. There's been a lot of improvement in the
    "looks" of the fake guitars. So you have to find more modern info. But this gives you
    a place of beginning. Just google: How to spot a fake Gibson SG and you should increase
    your buyer's sense.

58pit and bwotw like this.
  12. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Good advice from the Col.

One thing puzzles me if those are the pictures you've been supplied with by the seller: Are they recent pictures? The protective plastic film is still on the pickguard, which makes me think they were taken when it was new, and might not reflect it's current condition. If they are recent, then it may be the guitar has seen little use, (and I'm not sure if fakers go for that kind of detail, after all their customers know they're buying fakes).

2013 is generally considered to be a particularly good year for the SG Standard, certainly in terms of the "61 style SG". Personally, I chose the '14 in preference, but many were put off that year by the 12th fret anniversary banner. 2015 things changed a lot, and since then many people feel the Standard has lost something of the look of the '61 model (if that matters to you).

Hope it turns out well & you find yourself a well looked-after bargain. :)

13. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

I own a cherry 2013 Standard. Really love her. Sounds and plays great. The guitar in question seem 99,99% legit.

Comparing to other year's line up? A good guitar builder company is good whatever the year.. I believe that all gibsons sound great, so i see no point in comparing guitars from diffirent years.

If you like the look of a 61 RI, then go for it.

Last, the standars in 2013 came wired point to point. No PCB.

Here is my baby back in 2013 when she was brand new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If in good shape, buy it, you'll not regret it. And then post a lot of picds here.

Cheers

lcw likes this.
  14. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

!!!!!My 2013 SG Standard did not have PCB!!!!!

I think pots were branded "Gibson"

ypnos likes this.
  15. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

Mine were.

16. jakbur

jakbur New Member

2013 was a sweet year for the SG Standard! Nice find!

17. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Well-Known Member

Many people remove the PCB so its not a tell tale sign. Better signs are things you can't change... or in the case of the bridge not easily anyways. Back of the neck (font and type of stamp/serial #) bridge (small screws) and making sure the knob placement is not all wonky (common on fakes). And then look at the truss rod, if the nut is one of those nub bullet looking things its good, if its just a regular allen wrench nut then its asian import. Im no expert, but if I checked those things out I'd be personally confident...

18. Bonzo21

I've seen many legit Gibson owners complain about the finish running into the binding... you might be talking about something else though, no personal experience to lean on here for me.

19. donepearce

No, I was talking about that. Sad, isn't it, when the faults we talk about to distinguish a fake are features on the real thing.

20. Bonzo21

yeah... lol. For some reason though, I still love em.