2013 SG Standard question

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by AllmanPhan, Apr 10, 2017.

1. AllmanPhan

AllmanPhan Member

New member here. The 2013 standard seems similar to the 61Ri (small guard, joint at 22nd fret). Can any 2013 Standard owners offer insight on the neck profile? I would like to know how it differs from the Gibson usa 61Ri.

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I can't answer your question as I have not owned either but do want to say welcome to the forum!

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Welcome,

If the neck doesn't feel like a baseball bat, then its a slim taper.....

Gibson should list the specs.

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

This seems to be the page for the 2013 SG (MinEtune option gives it away).

Gibson list it as 0.800 / 0.875 – 'Slim 60s' profile. Here are a few measurements I gathered from Gibson's site recently, to give an idea of the variations they quote, (note the last 2 are not from Gibson):

0.775 / 0.850 – Extra Slim Taper
    0.775 / 0.910 – Slim Early 60s (Zappa signature model 'Roxy' SG)
    0.800 / 0.875 – Slim Taper or Slim 60s
    0.800 / 0.895 – Slim Taper DT
    0.800 / 0.900 – Slim Taper or Slim (’14 Standard)
    0.818 / 0.963 – Rounded (’16 Standard) or Rounded 50s Profile
    0.870 / ?? (Non-Gibson source) 2008 SG, 50s Rounded
    0.900 / 1.000 - (Non-Gibson source) Early 50s

Seems to me it's the early 50s profile that's the real 'baseball bat' - but there's still quite a difference between Slim 60s & Rounded. FWIW, I have Slim Taper & Rounded and I don't notice much difference, but the one i had with a real thick 50s neck was uncomfortable for me.

grausch and AngelDeVille like this.
  5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

That's getting into the complicated realm, I didn't know there were that many variations.

6. santosdotcalm

santosdotcalm New Member

I own a '61 Reissue and played it along with a 2013 Standard. They were in the store at the same time and played both, comparing them back and forth. They are VERY similar. By looks, you can barely tell them apart. The only discernible difference was that the neck on the '61 Reissue was a little slimmer, but the neck on the 2013 Standard was slim too. I even think they have the same pickups, which are '57 Classics. Most believe the 2013 Standards were the previous year's '61 Reissues that Gibson just rebranded.

I was actually going to buy the 2013 Standard over the '61 Reissue, as both were used and I was getting a better deal on the Standard since it sold for new cheaper than the '61. I felt like I was getting basically the same guitar for a better value, but when I went back to the store, they had already sold the Standard, so I pulled the trigger on the '61 Reissue instead...

7. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

They didn't offer the '61 Reissue for 2013. The 2013 Standard was pretty much the same the same specs as the '61 Reissue, but at a lower price point. It was kind of a direct response to the criticism of the 2012 line.

8. +Mastodon Fan+

+Mastodon Fan+ Active Member

Same guitar minus the wider headstock of the 61'. Same specs, pickups, and neck profile. It'll be a gem and a desired piece in the future. Buy one and consider it an investment. Lol

9. AllmanPhan

AllmanPhan Member

Wow! Thanks for the info, folks. Definitely like the smaller headstock of the 2013. We will see what opens up for sale soon.

Yes G likes this.
  10. joy-z

joy-z Member

Just get a 2017 SG standard. Same neck profile, better neck joint.

koaguilds likes this.
  11. Yes G

Yes G Active Member

I'm a huge fan of the 2013 Standard. Here's mine.
    2013 STD.jpg

12. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Active Member

Love those deep bevels!

13. AllmanPhan

AllmanPhan Member

Well that brings up another question... For some reason I can't seem to find any in person, so I thought I'd run it by the forum. How do the bevels on the 61 and the 2013 Standard compare to each other, and additionally, to what one would find on a historic? Is there any difference at all?

PelhamSG likes this.
  14. Yes G

Yes G Active Member

Me too. I'm exceedingly happy with this model. It's an absolute keeper!!

15. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Active Member

That's a great question! They might be the same because I read that Gibson used the 61 RI bodies for the next model year standards. Not sure if it's true or not, but definitely an interested question

16. +Mastodon Fan+

From what I've found they're exactly the same minus the wide headstock. I love my white 2013, it's perfect imo.

Yes G likes this.
  17. Tonerider

Tonerider Active Member

2013, 2014 and 2015 SG are build like the '61 RI

18. grausch

grausch Active Member

Just quoting a specific section here to highlight what I found while looking for neck shapes. The Rounded or Rounded 50s Profile (0.818) is what you would find on the non-custom shop SGs or Les Pauls that have a Rounded Profile. An example would be here - http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-50s-Tribute.aspx. This is my favourite profile, but it seems to be an endangered specie right now. I have not found bigger on a SG, but I only looked from 2013 onwards and can't comment on the 2008 SG profile.

The Les Paul Traditional has a neck profile that fits in after the Rounded profile at 0.828 / 0.973 - not sure if this was ever on any SG. - http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

Other Gibson neck profiles I have found are:
    R0 - 0.800 / 0.900 - http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Custom/True-Historic-1960-Les-Paul.aspx
    R9 - 0.900 / 1.000 - http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Custom/True-Historic-1959-Les-Paul.aspx
    R8 - 0.900 / 1.000 - http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Custom/True-Historic-1958-Les-Paul.aspx
    R7 - 0.900 / 1.000 - http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elec...storic-1957-Les-Paul-Custom-Black-Beauty.aspx

Oddly enough, the neck profiles should be increasing for each R, i.e. R9 should be smaller than R8 which should be smaller than R7, but based on current specs that does not seem to be the case. Perhaps the profiles changed for 2017?

SG standard likes this.
  19. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Except that in 2014 the SG Standard seen the end of the much maligned 'NIB' or as Gibson Propaganda writers put it, "undercut frets over the binding for extra playing surface"!

This action was a return cl\oser to 1961 in the sense that Gibson did not use the plastic from its binding to finish the fret ends like we started seeing happen around 1991 or so & continue through 2013 creating the Nib.

(Fret over Binding technique below)
    [​IMG]

That explanation rather simplifies what was a much more involved process of several things changing in the fretboard / neck construction process from '61. Since '61 the frets got thinner & higher (gone is that classic 'Fretless Wonder' Gibson with it's low & fat frets & low 'n fast effortless playing action) AND the binding got wider!

(Here is wide binding with large plastic Nib fret ends below)
    [​IMG]

Here's an up close 'n personal pic of a real sloppy Nib job below.
    upload_2017-4-20_4-58-7.png
    (You can already see the problematic separation gap between the differing metal & plastic mediums above)

Anyway the old way no longer made financial sense for Gibson to file all that extra fret height away to a smooth taper as it was faster & cheaper to trim the binding in the contour, shape & height as the metal fret & continue the fret-plain in plastic to the end of the fretboard! Phew!

So, the fret over binding technique that Epiphone & others finally got incorporated into Gibson build process in 2014 because... well because plastic frets are stupid & useless right!? LOL

But wait! In 2015 we see even more usable player minded changes on the SG Standard! The fretboard now got a little wider! Or in Gibson speak...
    "Increased playing area with the same string spacing. A wider neck & fingerboard increase player comfort for Hammer-ons, Pull-offs & Bends, while the same string spacing retains a familiar consistent feel." (pretty slick huh?)

Oh we ain't done with meaningful changes yet! 2015 also seen the addition of an adjustable height zero fret Nut & a high precision 'Pleked' fret plain! Combined with a lower fret height these features make the SG Standard HP the most playable SG with most precise intonation ever given a mass produced Non-Custom Shop Gibson!

Thicker Rosewood fretboard, thicker gauge internal wiring & an improved contact 1/4" jack are all also significant seen in the SG Standard HP since 2015 & let me tell ya, these guitars are mind blowingly fantastic to play!

Gibson finally upped it's mass-produced guitar game in 2015 & started producing the highly playable guitars their reputation would suggest they're capable of making.

I feel that if you are really serious about playing guitar & want the most highly playable guitar you can get for the money from Gibson, then you'll definitely consider looking at a 2015 SG HP or newer.
    The hardest part about getting one of these newer SG HP's will be deciding what to do with those auto-tuners!

Happy Shopping.

Logan and grausch like this.
  20. +Mastodon Fan+

I'm content with my 2013. The 2015 is just too wide for my hands. I like the idea in theory, but in real life it's just too wide. The great NIB debate...I think they feel smoother going up and down the neck but are problematic especially with crazy vibrato and down bends. So my only other option would be the 2014, but that's outta the question because of that silly 12th fret inlay. So...I'll covet my 2013 and be happy. If I every do a refret it'll lose the Nibs and then it'll be perfect. Just my opinion though and personal preference.

AllmanPhan and Yes G like this.