2014 Gib SG Special fretboard issue

GitterMan

Reaction score
I bought an 2014 SG Special brand new online. It has the 490r/490t pup's. She is a very pretty guitar, however the lower register on the board seems a bit dead. Note's sound, but they don't sustain, like the lower register. I have not adjusted the pups at all. I was wondering if a pup adjustment or a good setup could help fix the problem? It seems to be all the notes below the 15th fret, not just a dead spot here and there.

alans sg

Reaction score
sounds like you need to check the neck relief , to check it , capa the first fret and hold down the low e string at the last fret , you should have a .010 space between the fret and bottom of the string at the 8th fret cheers
Alan

Last edited:

guitarded

Reaction score
When you say the lower register seems dead, do you mean near the 1st fret or near the 24th fret?

nbeersiii

Reaction score
that guitar came with a 490t in the bridge? My special HH has one and it seems kinda blah to me.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
New strings and a set up, definitely.
;>)/

I second what Bidd says. New strings should perk things up. Also, a good setup of guitar will adjust neck, string heights, correct any strings hanging up in the nut or high frets etc, and put the pickups within good range for sound all over the neck.

Good luck

PS. do a search in a number of threads, and you will find info on benefit of nut lubes, graphite, Vaseline etc. This plus a proper filed nut goes a long way to correcting tuning instability.

GitterMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Guitaded I misspoke the upper register mainly from the 14th-24th frets. I use GHS burnished nickel rockers. I put on a brand new set that did help, quite a bit. I do play with a rather low setup. I originally installed a set of 10-50 and they were completely dead. They just would not ring, nor sustain. Switching back to 10-46 help a lot. Again the action is low, but not to the point where there is any string buzz.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Congratulations on getting a new Gibson, and welcome to ETSG. Common wisdom on these boards is that pickup
angle can be critical, especially with 490s. They really perform best when level with the strings (not the guitar top)
so some of us who have SGs without pickup rings (large Pickguard) will put some stiff foam under the rear edge of each pickup, enough to tilt the pickup level with the strings. It makes a real difference, so it's worth the hassle involved in removing bridge & pickguard. If you're planning to take your guitar to a good luthier for setup, do this
before you go, and then let the luthier do the rest. I'd begin with a piece of foam maybe 20mm high for the neck p'up, and maybe 25mm high for the neck p'up. It's a fiddly chore, but very worth it IMHO. And a good way to get to know your new SG. Guard the finish with taped on cardboard or something while you've got the pickguard off... if you're clumsy like me.

If your SG special has pickup rings, then sometimes just raising or lowering the pickup on one side or the other can make a difference in the tone. My neck 490 likes to be down deep, away from the strings (cuts the woofiness a bit), and the 490T likes to be close, about 4-5mm on the bass side, more than that on the treble side.

I also recommend a pro setup which should include precise measuring (and adjustment) of neck relief, nut slot depth, fret leveling, fret end smoothing if necessary, bridge height, intonation and pickup height as well as new strings.

I believe that no one can properly evaluate a guitar before this is done.
We see a lot of posts where people try
anyway. Some online guitar sellers like Sweetwater claim that they do this before shipping guitars out, and in
Sweetwater's case, I believe that they do. Gibson is supposed to do this before shipping guitars out, but no one
knows how long the instrument sits in a warehouse at M/F or Sam Ash etc. Long enough for the strings to go dead
and even for frets to protrude in some cases. We see posts here about it.

Anyway, I wish you well with your new guitar, and hope you get it sounding like you want it too very soon.
Don't forget our motto here at ETSG:
PICTURES, OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

Last edited:

Latest posts