2016 SG Special T owners?

Sweetums

Reaction score
Got to play one of these today in a store. Wow. Loved it. Didn't have the money today, and leaving it there on the racks felt like being away from a new partner.

I like the weight, the shape (of course), the finish, and the fretboard / neck. I didn't crank it in the store, but it sounded good to me clean and fairly quiet. I like that it could be converted to P-90s down the line, although the minibuckers were fine to me.

So for those who have one or had one, what are the best things about it? Negatives?

Super fuzz

Reaction score
I've always been interested to know how the minihums sounded. I love the satin finish of those too.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
April 07 ebony@100.jpg You Rang?

Yes, I'm a fan of the Mini Hums. These are the same pickups that Gibson installs in the Firebird and also in the
Les Paul Deluxe. (I checked). So there are no flies on these pickups, and how suitable they are for your music
depends on what your style is like and what you like to listen to.

I think there are lots of us on this forum who own the mini hum guitars. Mine is from 2012, the first SG with minis
that had been seen in a long time. Gibson re-issued these for 2016 and they seem to be very well accepted.

The pickups themselves have a great sound to my ear. Crisp and focused... clear highs with no ice pick to the ear,
nice bottom if you EQ it that way, firm and present midrange. Balance between the neck pickup and the bridge pickup
seems decent. It's not perfect, so I'm still setting my bridge pickup full on and dialing back the neck pickup, but I do
that on all my instruments when I want that bridge p'up to step out. Supposedly Gibson installs a hotter mini hum bucker
in the bridge position in order to give this effect. My experience is that it's only a little hotter.

I also am a fan of the small block inlays... those immediately attracted me to this guitar. Then when I realized that the mini
humbuckers were a new design with blade sensors, I began to bubble with G.A.S. What I like about this particular guitar
is that it has a unique voice all its own. If you're trying to play the sound of someone whose music you admire, these are
not likely to help. If you're trying to sound like yourself and emerge from a crowd, then I think these pickups may help with that.
Line up fifteen or twenty rockers with their #1s and you might be the only one playing minis. You'll see plenty of Lesters and
Starts and Ibanez shredders. Then it's up to you. But the instrument will not hold you back IMHO.

JereSG

Reaction score
I just got one today in vintage sunburst and only had to adjust the bridge pickup and tune it - surprisingly no truss rod adjustment needed - great guitar that plays very fast and sounds terrific - the mininess takes away the muddiness of the humbuckers away - i got the faded t 6 months ago and it has muddier pickups (though more powerful and good) and nicer tuner knobs - both have a great feel and are different enough to justify buying both ... :)

JereSG

Reaction score
I just got one today in vintage sunburst and only had to adjust the bridge pickup and tune it - surprisingly no truss rod adjustment needed - great guitar that plays very fast and sounds terrific - the mininess takes away the muddiness of the humbuckers away - i got the faded t 6 months ago and it has muddier pickups (though more powerful and good) and nicer tuner knobs - both have a great feel and are different enough to justify buying both ... :)
Btw, the pickups of the two are different - which ones you like better will come down to personal taste - I wouldn't swap either

JereSG

Reaction score
View attachment 22266 You Rang?

Yes, I'm a fan of the Mini Hums. These are the same pickups that Gibson installs in the Firebird and also in the
Les Paul Deluxe. (I checked). So there are no flies on these pickups, and how suitable they are for your music
depends on what your style is like and what you like to listen to.

I think there are lots of us on this forum who own the mini hum guitars. Mine is from 2012, the first SG with minis
that had been seen in a long time. Gibson re-issued these for 2016 and they seem to be very well accepted.

The pickups themselves have a great sound to my ear. Crisp and focused... clear highs with no ice pick to the ear,
nice bottom if you EQ it that way, firm and present midrange. Balance between the neck pickup and the bridge pickup
seems decent. It's not perfect, so I'm still setting my bridge pickup full on and dialing back the neck pickup, but I do
that on all my instruments when I want that bridge p'up to step out. Supposedly Gibson installs a hotter mini hum bucker
in the bridge position in order to give this effect. My experience is that it's only a little hotter.

I also am a fan of the small block inlays... those immediately attracted me to this guitar. Then when I realized that the mini
humbuckers were a new design with blade sensors, I began to bubble with G.A.S. What I like about this particular guitar
is that it has a unique voice all its own. If you're trying to play the sound of someone whose music you admire, these are
not likely to help. If you're trying to sound like yourself and emerge from a crowd, then I think these pickups may help with that.
Line up fifteen or twenty rockers with their #1s and you might be the only one playing minis. You'll see plenty of Lesters and
Starts and Ibanez shredders. Then it's up to you. But the instrument will not hold you back IMHO.
Great info thanks

sn4001

Reaction score
I have one of these and love it. The mini hums are a little hotter than the 57 Classics in my Standard. The bridge has more mids than the 57 and the neck is a little brighter. They sound good and Im not going to change them. I did add a 5 ply pick guard to it which helps the looks.

Sweetums

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Owners seem to love 'em. The affordability and versatility mean I'll be looking to get one used or on sale by the end of the year.

Latest posts