2017 Gibson SG Special VSB

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by sg61reissuefc, Mar 27, 2017.

1. sg61reissuefc

sg61reissuefc New Member

Hello. I noticed something on my new SG Special that is kind of unusual. Inside of the control cavity compartment, the ground wire is sticking out like usual. But instead of coming out of the tiny hole that is drilled going to the tailpiece stud. The ground wire runs up through where the pickup wires go. Then I guess it goes to the stud. The tiny hole is there, but the ground wire is ran in a different spot. Is this okay? I tugged on it lightly and it is connected well.
    Thanks SG

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

If it works, you're golden. Just opened it up for a look, did we?

3. sg61reissuefc

sg61reissuefc New Member

Thanks for getting back with me, actually I bought it from the Stratosphere. I already had the parts that were new and happened to notice it. Just seemed kinda weird. Maybe I can post some pics of the finished product when I am through. I do like looking under the hood of guitars though!
    SG

4. Born to Go

Born to Go New Member

E="sg61reissuefc, post: 474297, member: 5634"]Hello. I noticed something on my new SG Special that is kind of unusual. Inside of the control cavity compartment, the ground wire is sticking out like usual. But instead of coming out of the tiny hole that is drilled going to the tailpiece stud. The ground wire runs up through where the pickup wires go. Then I guess it goes to the stud. The tiny hole is there, but the ground wire is ran in a different spot. Is this okay? I tugged on it lightly and it is connected well.
    Thanks SG[/QUOTE]
    Mine is exactly the same plus they also put a hole through a bit of the centre route for the neck pickup but never used it. The routing looks like they threw the guitar at the router. It took a sharp chisel to make it respectable and splinter free!