2017 SG Standard T - My Opinion

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pedecamp, Jun 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I got my hands on one this weekend to check out in the local music shop. My first impression was the slim tapered neck was so thin and narrow, I wasn't sure I liked that, I'm used to a chunkier neck that's pretty much on every guitar I own no matter what the brand. My other concern was the weight of the Grover tuners, the guitar was balanced well, the Grovers did not affect the balance of the guitar what so ever, no neck dive to worry about. The fit and finish was top notch Gibson all the way although the fretboard looked pretty dry and could've used some oil. Plugged in and sound wise the 57 Classic pickups produced some nice classic tones, if I got one of these guitars I'd probably replace the bridge with a 57 Classic Plus to be a little hotter. Overall I give the guitar two thumbs up, being I'm a lefty I'll have to wait until the lefties are released so I can really play one and determine if I will trade in my 2005 faded SG for one of these. At the moment I'm thinking not, that I like my faded better but I wont really know until I get to spend some time with a new one. I do have a Tele with a thinner neck than the rest of my guitars and it didn't take me too long to get used to it, I suspect the SG slim tapered neck I'd be able to get used to it too, unless Gibson has something else released with a fatter neck which I do prefer. I'll have to look and see. So there you have it! :yesway:

koaguilds, dexspeed, Bettyboo and 3 others like this.
  2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I've had mine since February, so I have gotten some solid playing time under my belt with it and I have to say it has become one of my absolute favorite guitars. I wouldn't personally change a thing about it, and while I was originally concerned that the slim-taper would be too thin, as I have grown more accustomed to the shape/size it has proven to be one of my more comfortable and fast-playing necks.

3. pedecamp

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a lefty if they ever come out, and hope the neck doesn't matter.

AngelDeVille and Logan like this.
  4. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Active Member

My 2017 standard is probably my favorite guitar ever. It just feels right :dude:

pedecamp, AngelDeVille and barnesto like this.
  5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I know peoples that can fix that left handedness.

[​IMG]

If could only have one guitar my T would be it.

6. Dickey001

Dickey001 Member

I think it's ugly. Crappy, chintzy bevels; looks like a Norlin guitar. Actually, the fakes look better. No thanks. I'll keep my '012. 014.JPG

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Logan and koaguilds like this.
  8. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

The 2017s look very nice and seem to be made very well although I personally prefer the 2016s, 2012s and 2011s. All are good, and some folks even love their 2013s, 2014s and even the 2015s (which I've noticed, locally, are still selling for $300 more than the 2017s, or rather they are not selling at that price).

9. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Goofy features aside, the 2015's build quality is outstanding.

Bettyboo likes this.
  10. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

^ especially for folks that like a slightly wider fingerboard and/or that case. The special with the zero fret and the zebra 61s looks really interesting too.

11. pedecamp

I'm really drawn to the small pickguard and the extra bling on a Standard. With that said, I'm thinking my faded SG might be a better guitar.