2018 SG Jr

dkal24

Reaction score
It's not mine yet. The owner is my buddy but he knows only how to play the guitar. He has zero tech skills. But anyway, this is a good one. It weighs under 6 lbs and is extremely lively and resonant with a great P90. He would like me to do a setup on it which is cool because I can play it for a couple weeks.
Going to try to get some pics up. Well pics aren't uploading yet.....I lowered res and it still won't upload......any tips? I'm missing something.

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
It's not mine yet. The owner is my buddy but he knows only how to play the guitar. He has zero tech skills. But anyway, this is a good one. It weighs under 6 lbs and is extremely lively and resonant with a great P90. He would like me to do a setup on it which is cool because I can play it for a couple weeks.
Going to try to get some pics up. Well pics aren't uploading yet.....I lowered res and it still won't upload......any tips? I'm missing something.
Shrink the pixel size to 1800 being the largest side. Should load right up!

dkal24

Reaction score
IMG_20220210_111019~3.jpg
Only got one to upload so far.... it's a work in progress

dkal24

Reaction score
On a roll. Now I just have find a way to get better pics with my phone

dkal24

Reaction score
I do have a question about the wraparound. This is a regular tailpiece. Do you just let the strings wear in over time or do some of you make a nick with nut files to hold the strings?

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
I feel you. Never owned a smooth wrap-around tailpiece and always wondered how the intonation worked on those, along with the possibility of the string being pulled out of position on the bridge/tailpiece when executing bends. It must be possible because they keep issuing them and I'm sure there are veterans who will have stories of their love/hate relationship with this kind of bridge, but a fine tuned intonation set up always seemed improbable just looking at it.

MR D

Reaction score

a JPEG 'Optimizer' is what I usually use to get pics uploaded on websites like this one (Put in an I-Pad MINI) by removing a % of the pixels (40%) the pics are small enough, file size wise, to upload...but sometimes if you take too many pixels out the picture ballons to the size of the page, which is not annoying at all (OMG ! ERR ERR)......a JPEG 'Opitimizer' should work, even if its an annoying process. BTA, sometimes nothing I try works.....

davesultra

Reaction score
I feel you. Never owned a smooth wrap-around tailpiece and always wondered how the intonation worked on those, along with the possibility of the string being pulled out of position on the bridge/tailpiece when executing bends. It must be possible because they keep issuing them and I'm sure there are veterans who will have stories of their love/hate relationship with this kind of bridge, but a fine tuned intonation set up always seemed improbable just looking at it.
I definitely have a love/hate relationship with those style wrapovers. When I had a ‘56 LP Junior the strings stayed put when doing bends due to there being grooves in the bridge that had developed over the years. I also have owned an R4 & R5 and both the newer Special & Junior. All but the Special had issues with the strings moving after doing bends. My 21’ SG Junior with the “Lighting Bar” bridge doesn’t have that issue. I’m willing to guess that the string movement issue is why many swapped their smooth wraptails for ones with saddles. I’ve never had any problems with either, as far as intonation is concerned. “Close enough for Rock & Roll” has always worked for me.

Last edited:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
50's style wraparound bridges have no notches or lightning bar and are installed at an angle in relation to the pup. These were carried over from the LP Juniors and Specials to the 1961-62 SG Juniors and Specials.

60's style wraparound bridges have notches, or lightning bar and are installed parallel in relation to the pup. These were first used on the 1963 SG Juniors and Specials. Many of these also were fitted with the short vibrola.

The 50's and 60's style wraparound bridges are not interchangeable and the alignment of the bridge posts is what determines which style bridge to use.

That 2018 SG Junior is borderline between parallel and at an angle to the pup. I'm surprised it intonates properly, if at all.

I swapped the stock 50's style wraparound on my Custom Shop LP Junior DC and LP Special Single Cut for a MojoAxe CWT wraparound bridge and those guitars intonate perfectly up and down the entire neck.

Those stock 50's style wraparounds are too rounded at the string break point and sometimes create a sitar effect on the high strings. The MojoAxe CWT solves this problem with a subtle ridge that creates a crisper string break at the top of the bridge.

dkal24

Reaction score
Thx for replies guys. The wraptail is new to me, but I do have a few hours of playing on it now and it does seem to be settling in.
The initial problem was all the different string nicks on the back of the tailpiece. I could not keep it in tune. The string to string spacing was horrible when I first saw the guitar.

My friend said I could hang on to the guitar for a few weeks. It's been sitting unplayed in the case for the last year and a half. I'll will play the hell out of it. So far, so good and I'm kind of digging this setup. The intonation is not bad either.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Thx for replies guys. The wraptail is new to me, but I do have a few hours of playing on it now and it does seem to be settling in.
The initial problem was all the different string nicks on the back of the tailpiece. I could not keep it in tune. The string to string spacing was horrible when I first saw the guitar.

My friend said I could hang on to the guitar for a few weeks. It's been sitting unplayed in the case for the last year and a half. I'll will play the hell out of it. So far, so good and I'm kind of digging this setup. The intonation is not bad either.
I would also say, if you have the disposable income, to buy a lightning bar or a bridge with adjustable saddles, like the Leo Quan, and see how you like them. Of course, keep the original tailpiece if you want to sell your guitar down the road, but if you want to do a bit of customization/reversible modding why not go for it? It could turn this guitar from being merely passably playable to something you'll fall in love with.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
The lightning bar compensated bridge is installed parallel to the pickup. The smooth non-compensated is installed at an angle.
As CG said, they’re not interchangeable.
The mojo axe bridge might fix it.
Most of the imitation badass bridges look pretty cheesy. I’ve had a tonepros with saddle vibration issues before.
The Pigtail looks pretty good…

BD69F745-B6C7-4114-B13B-BACD5D74DA20.jpeg

JimH

Reaction score
At some point during the production of these guitars, 2019-present, Gibson switched from the smooth wraparound bridge with angled studs, to the lightning bar with parallel studs. Anyone who is interested in buying one of these juniors should check out the bridge configuration of the particular guitar they are buying to make sure it has the bridge they prefer. Both options are available.

*Edit for clarity

Last edited:

dkal24

Reaction score
I have not tried the lightning bolt bridge yet, but I am enjoying the smooth wrap tailpiece. Intonation is fine. I break less strings than the abr-1 type bridge.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
The lightning bar compensated bridge is installed parallel to the pickup. The smooth non-compensated is installed at an angle.
As CG said, they’re not interchangeable.
The mojo axe bridge might fix it.
Most of the imitation badass bridges look pretty cheesy. I’ve had a tonepros with saddle vibration issues before.
The Pigtail looks pretty good…

View attachment 47285
And this is why I shouldn't try to dole out technical advice! I'm going to shut up and play my guitar now. Lol...

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
OP’s ‘18 Junior also has a headstock inlay not found on the later models.
‘21…
0B9579BA-9952-44E1-9BB6-052714924790.jpeg

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
It looks like a stenciled logo to me, but I'm willing to be wrong.
Oops yea, the flower pot pineapple thing.
I guess it’s not an actual inlay.
Thanks, I’m going to shut up and play my guitar now too.

Latest posts