2018 SG Standard love

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by madhermit, Oct 31, 2020.

1. madhermit

madhermit Member

I LOVE my 2018 Standard now!

I got this guitar in early 2019 and it sounded good, but not great. I dabbled with putting a Les Trem on it for a while (I didn’t dig it) and fiddled with the pickups a bit. I knew I liked the pickups, as I had a 2019 Les Paul Standard with the 61s in it, and I loved it. I used to think that the SG didn’t work as well with the 61s.

I started fiddling with more focus and I got the pickup heights dialed in just right. The bridge pickup is higher than I expected, but man this thing screams, and has a grind, power and clarity to it I LOVE. Then I finally took it for it’s warranty set up and this thing is just perfect now.

I am so happy with this guitar! Sounds great! Plays great! Looks great!

SG’s are frickin’ great!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

that's a beautiful instrument... Welcome to ETSG!

You are discovering what many of us have also discovered. SGs Rock!
    That's why they've been in continuous production ever since 1961. Players
    keep buying them. And lots of excellent music has been made with them.

Of course this is true of Strats and Teles, and Les Pauls of course, all these have
    been getting the nod from players all these years. Many of us have other guitars we
    play. So there are plenty of aficionados of Strats and Teles and Lesters on these
    boards. IMHO there's no reason to wrangle over which is the best.

All the guitarist needs to do is decide which is the best for the particular song
    he's working on. And THAT'S why we like to own them all if we can.
    It comes down to the song... and what it needs.

But if you can only afford one, get the SG... because SGs Rock!

3. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Beautiful guitar! Is that a limited edition finish? And I don't know if the amber knobs are stock or not but I love the vibe.

madhermit likes this.
  4. madhermit

madhermit Member

I agree! I see different guitar models as different colours. I have amassed a collection of all the main flavours, and I love being able to choose a guitar for the sound, vibe, and feel I am after. I am spoiled for choice. Similar with amps. It’s a lovely room to be in if you like guitars!

5. madhermit

madhermit Member

Nope. Regular production colour for that year. They also did black and heritage cherry. Every now and then they used to do a burst type finish. I had ordered a 2015 fireburst previously and could not believe how awful it felt to me. I have never rejected a guitar over a neck as I just adapt after a minute or two, but that thing was brutal. I think I had heard by 2019 that Gibson was going back to traditional choices, so I figured it may be a while until a burst finish makes an appearance again. And autumn shade, while sounding cheesy, looks great in person. Kinda like heritage cherry with a burst effect.

Black knobs were standard on mine. I forgot I had changed them!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    arcticsg and Didds like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Neck binding looks great on that one.
    That’s how they should all be.
    No pink or cream.

arcticsg and madhermit like this.
  7. madhermit

madhermit Member

Pink binding? I haven’t seen that myself. Sounds gross, but maybe it looks better than it sounds.

8. cerebral gasket

9. madhermit

madhermit Member

I am pretty sure I wouldn’t like that in person. :shock:

cerebral gasket and Didds like this.
  10. Retrop

Retrop Member

I agree about the 2018 Standards... mine is a hell of a guitar! I didn't change the electronics as I love how it sounds but I did put reflector knobs and an ABR-1 bridge on mine. I have the same finish too, Autumn Shade, and it's just gorgeous!

papagayo and madhermit like this.
  11. madhermit

madhermit Member

Damn fine guitar you got there!

Retrop likes this.
  12. Retrop

Retrop Member

Thank you, as is yours! Gibson has definitely been doing a great job the past few years after going through a rocky period.

madhermit likes this.
  13. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Beautiful guitar. I have the other two you mentioned, Heritage Cherry and Ebony. The GC signature came in Vintage Cherry.

[​IMG]

And while I bought silver capped knobs and switch washers for all my 2017-2018 Standards, I have yet to install them. One of my 2018s actually included the switch washer with the case candy. I think these would greatly enhance the appearance of the 2017 Standard in Alpine White.

[​IMG]

Oh and the 2015 SG Standard in Fireburst was one of my favorites for that year. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    madhermit likes this.
  14. cerebral gasket

The grain looks amazing on that one.
    I find that when you have a guitar that plays, sounds and looks great, it inspires you to play it more.

Retrop and madhermit like this.
  15. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Active Member

I love my 2018 Standard in ebony. I put reflector knobs and pointers, Les Paul tenon cover, and plain truss rod cover. The 61s sound great. Really versatile.

Retrop likes this.
  16. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Active Member

I have yet to play an SG w/61's, or any guitar, with those P-Up's....most people like 'em, a few don't. I stayed away from them just because I like the '57's so much.......I have yet to hear anyone say they do not like '57 Classics ! IMO, GIBSON's Burst-Bucker series of P-Up's are pretty much Bullett-Proof and I have seen no reason to swap any of them out of any Standard GIBSON I have purchased since 2017. I sold all my 70's vintage GIBSON's and have zero regrets. IMO, since the 2017's came out in October 2016, the GIBSON Standards have all been strong Guitars! Not a turkey in the bunch that I have seen, although a few are always going to get out the factory door.....I bought 5 Standards since that time (because I believed that GIBSON USA was making a strong comeback from the MIN E-Tune & G-Farce disasters of 2013-2015).........and they are all ROCKIN A$$$ Guitars !

I am sure that once you have the guitar set-up and dialed in to where you want it to be, as it seems you have just done, you will be more than pleased w/that Guitar which is BTW, a BEAUTY !!! 'Autumn Shade' is the color, yes?

CONGRATS ! Play the $#!T out of that Bad-Boy Bro !

madhermit likes this.
  17. Retrop

Retrop Member

I have a Les Paul Traditional with '57 Classics and I love those too. I have thought about swapping the pickups to try the '61 pickups in the LP and the '57 pickups in the SG but so far I have left them alone since I love how they both sound stock. I also have a spare '61 lying around but it has yet to find a home.

18. Justin

Justin Member

Congratulations! What was that finish color called? It is gorgeous!!

19. Retrop

Retrop Member

The finish is Autumn Shade which was only available on the 2018 standards.

20. madhermit

madhermit Member

Yep, Autumn Shade. Currently playing the hey-zeus out of it!