2019 Epiphone Classic Worn P90 replacement tuner suggestions

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Moco de Fuego, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Moco de Fuego

Moco de Fuego New Member

Greetings SG lovers. Recently nabbed an Inverness Green 2019 SG Classic with P90s. Having owned a 1976 Gibson SG in the past, I must say I really dig this axe! Well, except for the stock tuners that is. I set this axe up to standard D/drop C with 9-46 gauge strings, and these tuners just won’t hang with ‘em no matter how well I stretch them out.
    Looking for the cheapest alternative that also isn’t having me resize the peg holes. Any advice welcome. I’m eyeing some Kluson or Grovers, but I’m not gonna lie...
    The cheap Amazon China clones look tempting, but probably no better than what I already have. Thinking about slotted tops as well, as they were the “original” old school “locking” solution. Thanks in advance.

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Tuning issues are rarely the fault of the tuners themselves. I would look to the nut first.

Go Nigel Go and Moco de Fuego like this.
  3. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Gotoh are reasonably priced, great quality and come in a range of sizes/types. I upgraded an Epi with Gotoh tuners, and along with careful nut slotting and general setup it worked very well.

Moco de Fuego likes this.
  4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Yes, make sure nut is set up right and that you've wound the strings round the tuners correctly.

Moco de Fuego likes this.
  5. Moco de Fuego

Moco de Fuego New Member

I also noticed the truss had a “loose spot” immediately upon turning, and didn’t grab until after a few quarter turns. Under the truss cover was also something weird. The #6 in ink. Odd.
    I attempted to widen the bottom slots of the nut, and applied some extra graphite for lube, but the drift post string stretching is just frustrating. I’m not ignorant in regards of basic setup and mods. I tamed an Agile LP to except C standard tuning and 12 gauge strings after a few tweaks, but the drift on this SG makes me suspect weak tuning machines. Thanks for the comments.

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Like said above, very, very rarely does the tuners affect tuning stability. I have the exact same tuners on my LP Special and they work flawlessly.
    Three things I see:

- The nut needs to be looked at. Maybe widen the slots a tiny bit with sandpaper, really not much. Try not to touch the bottom of those slots. And lube with a graphite pencil.
    Edit: it seem like you did that.

- Your string winding technique. if you don't lock the string on the post, you're giving it a chance to slip. This is how it's done. No more than one turn around the post.

- The way you play. Your Agile probably had a substancial neck. SGs are more flexible in that area, they need to be played with a lighter touch. If you tend to grab the neck as you play, you're flexing it and making it go out of tune.

About the truss rod. Some of those new 2020 seem to be delivered with no tension at all on the truss rod. Your's was probably like that. Nothing wrong with the guitar. You just have to turn it until it grabs and leave it there, if neck relief is OK like that.

What do you mean by that ?