2019 Quality?

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Was wondering how the 2019 SGs are stacking up so far? Am considering picking one up soon, but am unsure as to whether I should spring for a new one, or try and find something used?

Last edited:

arcticsg

Reaction score
They definitely changed things up for 2019. I had such high hopes but nothing jumps out and grabs me. I think they really dropped the ball on the Standards. I wanted the Blueberry Fade HP but don't do Richlite fretboards. The only one I may end up with for 2019 is the Standard 61, but it'll have to be at the end of the year when it gets slashed by 25-30%, and even then just not sure. I may not end up with any 2019, which is weird as I was ready to pounce, lol

As for the quality, if it's as good as 2017-2018, they'll be just fine.

fuzbuzz78

Reaction score
My 2019 SG Special is excellent. Typically I expect to see imperfections in paint or clear coat but this thing looks great. As far as playability, I adjusted the neck and brought the bridge down a little and the guitar holds tune great. Intonation was dead on out of the box. Having said all that, I hate the quick taper on the volume and tone pot. Not too stoked they are throwing PCB’s in these but it wasn’t an unexpected surprise. I was planning on wiring in my own harness anyway. Otherwise, I’m quite happy with it!

Robert Morris

Reaction score
I got the standard 61. You can read my posts about it. Bottom line: at this point I’m very happy with it. Fit and finish are great. Definitely don’t pay full price. I got mine slightly used from GC for $999. Don’t buy the hype about the whole plek thing-it sucks. Mine needed a fret level. I also was a bit disappointed that the input jack was made in China-replaced it. But I saved so much upfront that I could afford the necessary repairs. I think the Les Paul Junior might be my next Gibson, that thing looks way cool and I need me some P90 tone in my life.

GrumpyOldDBA

Reaction score
Yikes here we go ...

I predict this one is going to get everyone posting.

I dont have a 2019 but in my opinion gibson putting out great product in last several years!

Jump on in the waters fine ( with caveat of knowing what return policy is ).

Even Honda makes a lemon every once in a while!

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input.

Right now I'm deciding on whether to go new or used.

The advantages of "new" as I see them are 1) warranty, and 2) no wear and tear. The disadvantages primarily being the limited color options for 2019.

Biddlin

Reaction score
AfraidDeafeningBassethound-max-1mb.gif

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
My Gibsons are a 1991, 2011, 2015, 2017, and a 2018.

All but the 1991 were bought online.

The 2011 had some fret sprout because it was a couple years old when I got it, so it's doubtful the factory was negligent. It was the only one I had seen actual pictures of before purchasing. All others just had stock photos.

Girl_Rock

Reaction score
My 2019 SG Special is excellent. Typically I expect to see imperfections in paint or clear coat but this thing looks great.
Was Gibson problems about the quality of the wood? Or has someone resolved them? I read that, principally, wood quality was the main trouble of Gibson guitars (I mean, excluding various gafs outside the instruments production), or wasn't it the main problem or am I writing mistakes? This is what I can see and say about my 2014 Gibson Sunburst (I know we are speaking about 2019 models), its wood is really soft (you can scratch it with the pick), but the paint and electronic components seem to be ok

jojo68

Reaction score
The whole internet complaint about certain years is a bunch of crap. Personally I have not seen any issues with any of the guitars I have bought or tried.
Pretty well known the brass nuts and robot tuners failed alot.

Robert Morris

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input.

Right now I'm deciding on whether to go new or used.

The advantages of "new" as I see them are 1) warranty, and 2) no wear and tear. The disadvantages primarily being the limited color options for 2019.
With GC you have 30 days satisfaction guaranteed even on used stuff. No questions asked. I won’t hesitate to go that route again.

GrumpyOldDBA

Reaction score
Pretty well known the brass nuts and robot tuners failed alot.

Gibson gives free replacement titanium nuts if you have a brass one.

The robo tuners usually ditched if problematic i have 3 sets of them uninstalled.

papagayo

Reaction score
I played the 2019 SG Standard '61, it' s a very good instrument. SG Special is great too.

jtees4

Reaction score
I think the 2019's are nice, and the quality is generally good. It still makes sense to buy used though, at least for me. $$$

Reactions: Ray

Latest posts