2019 SG Special neck vs ‘61 SG Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Knightrich, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Knightrich

Knightrich New Member

Hi all,

First post here. You all know your SGs! I recently got a 2019 SG Special in Pelham Blue and I really like the neck on it. I am finding that I may be more of a humbucker guy though, and can get a deal on a new ‘61 Standard through Sweetwater. My question is, are the necks the same on these two models? Online specs seem to say so but I want to be sure before ordering.

Backstory, I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery in both wrists and just had to return a 2020 Explorer because it was just a little too big for my hands and I just didn’t get along with it. For whatever reason, the neck on this Special works and I’d like to stick with the SG now.
    Thanks!

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

No two necks will be identical.

2019 SG Special and 2020 SG Standard '61 are listed as Slim Taper, so they should be similar in feel.

They don't list the 1st and 12th fret thickness in the specs anymore. It's not only the thickness, but the amount of shoulder that makes a difference and whether it is rounded or flat on the backside.

Best to try them in person beforehand, but if not possible, then order from a source that has a good return policy in the event that things don't work out.

No Talent, Go Nigel Go and Knightrich like this.
  3. Knightrich

Knightrich New Member

Thank you. Yeah I think that’s the best option. Right now it looks like I’ll be waiting till March for their next shipment. Plenty of time to try to bond with the P90s.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. Dangerhouse77

Dangerhouse77 Member

I have a 2019 Sg Jr with a slim taper and a 2019 SG Standard that has a rounded profile. Both are very comfortable to ply and honestly though the Standard is thicker it’s hard to tell a difference

Knightrich likes this.
  5. Knightrich

Knightrich New Member

I feel like I may have found the Goldilocks SG neck with this Special. I plan on ordering a ‘61 and if that neck feels good then I’ll sell the Special. Just need to try it out.

6. fishlog

fishlog New Member

I had that same Pelham blue SG and felt it had a wider flatter neck than my 2017 standard. Got another special on the way curious now how much they’ll be the same or different.

Knightrich likes this.
  7. Knightrich

Knightrich New Member

Cool which one did you get?