2019 SG Special neck vs ‘61 SG Standard

Knightrich

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here. You all know your SGs! I recently got a 2019 SG Special in Pelham Blue and I really like the neck on it. I am finding that I may be more of a humbucker guy though, and can get a deal on a new ‘61 Standard through Sweetwater. My question is, are the necks the same on these two models? Online specs seem to say so but I want to be sure before ordering.

Backstory, I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery in both wrists and just had to return a 2020 Explorer because it was just a little too big for my hands and I just didn’t get along with it. For whatever reason, the neck on this Special works and I’d like to stick with the SG now.
Thanks!

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
No two necks will be identical.

2019 SG Special and 2020 SG Standard '61 are listed as Slim Taper, so they should be similar in feel.

They don't list the 1st and 12th fret thickness in the specs anymore. It's not only the thickness, but the amount of shoulder that makes a difference and whether it is rounded or flat on the backside.

Best to try them in person beforehand, but if not possible, then order from a source that has a good return policy in the event that things don't work out.

Knightrich

Reaction score
No two necks will be identical.

2019 SG Special and 2020 SG Standard '61 are listed as Slim Taper, so they should be similar in feel.

They don't list the 1st and 12th fret thickness in the specs anymore. It's not only the thickness, but the amount of shoulder that makes a difference and whether it is rounded or flat on the backside.

Best to try them in person beforehand, but if not possible, then order from a source that has a good return policy in the event that things don't work out.
Thank you. Yeah I think that’s the best option. Right now it looks like I’ll be waiting till March for their next shipment. Plenty of time to try to bond with the P90s.

Dangerhouse77

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Sg Jr with a slim taper and a 2019 SG Standard that has a rounded profile. Both are very comfortable to ply and honestly though the Standard is thicker it’s hard to tell a difference

Knightrich

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Sg Jr with a slim taper and a 2019 SG Standard that has a rounded profile. Both are very comfortable to ply and honestly though the Standard is thicker it’s hard to tell a difference
I feel like I may have found the Goldilocks SG neck with this Special. I plan on ordering a ‘61 and if that neck feels good then I’ll sell the Special. Just need to try it out.

fishlog

Reaction score
I had that same Pelham blue SG and felt it had a wider flatter neck than my 2017 standard. Got another special on the way curious now how much they’ll be the same or different.

Knightrich

Reaction score
I had that same Pelham blue SG and felt it had a wider flatter neck than my 2017 standard. Got another special on the way curious now how much they’ll be the same or different.
Cool which one did you get?

Kyle Lanning

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here. You all know your SGs! I recently got a 2019 SG Special in Pelham Blue and I really like the neck on it. I am finding that I may be more of a humbucker guy though, and can get a deal on a new ‘61 Standard through Sweetwater. My question is, are the necks the same on these two models? Online specs seem to say so but I want to be sure before ordering.

Backstory, I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery in both wrists and just had to return a 2020 Explorer because it was just a little too big for my hands and I just didn’t get along with it. For whatever reason, the neck on this Special works and I’d like to stick with the SG now.
Thanks!
If you really like the feel of your neck, I’d say don’t go for a different one. The carves may be identical on paper but no two will be exactly the same. I have a late 2018 special and love the neck and I love the P90’s. Have you considered swapping the pups for some mini humbuckers? Lollar makes a killer sounding mini humbucker that would be an easy swap. You can listen to the tones on their website. Take it from a guy who almost traded his special.... don’t! They’re sweet guitars and there are so many good options that have you keeping it! Best of luck either way you choose to go!

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
SG Special 2016 T
P-90's and Mini Humbuckers.

full

SG Special 2016 T
Neck: P-90
Bridge: Mini Humbucker

full

2004 SG Classic
Neck: P-90
Bridge: P-90 size Stacked Humbucker

full

P-90 at the neck for cleans and P-90 size Stacked Humbucker at the bridge for hi gain use. That's my favorite pup combo.

Last edited:

Knightrich

Reaction score
If you really like the feel of your neck, I’d say don’t go for a different one. The carves may be identical on paper but no two will be exactly the same. I have a late 2018 special and love the neck and I love the P90’s. Have you considered swapping the pups for some mini humbuckers? Lollar makes a killer sounding mini humbucker that would be an easy swap. You can listen to the tones on their website. Take it from a guy who almost traded his special.... don’t! They’re sweet guitars and there are so many good options that have you keeping it! Best of luck either way you choose to go!
I have had time to “adjust” and I like the P90s now! I actually did a total 180 and got a Rickenbacker 360 on a whim and am now deciding between these two. I have to get rid of one and I’m leaning toward the SG. It just plays like butter. Bends are super easy and it’s unique. I thought about getting some chrome covers for the P90s and getting a cream pickguard but I can’t quite picture it in my minds eye.

Kyle Lanning

Reaction score
I have had time to “adjust” and I like the P90s now! I actually did a total 180 and got a Rickenbacker 360 on a whim and am now deciding between these two. I have to get rid of one and I’m leaning toward the SG. It just plays like butter. Bends are super easy and it’s unique. I thought about getting some chrome covers for the P90s and getting a cream pickguard but I can’t quite picture it in my minds eye.
This may get me kicked outta the SG group, but I'm a strat guy through and through! haha

I like the P90's because my 04 LP has burstbuckers that are a little muddy for my liking in the neck position and I feel like the P90's are a sweet spot between my other axes.

I feel ya on the slinky action. I know people have their thoughts about the intonation and adjustability of the lightning bar tailpiece but mine is perfect and playing 11's on my SG feels as light as playing 9's on my strat. I never was a fan of a slim taper neck on my LP and I know the carve on my SG is very similar but for some reason, as a package, the whole thing just works. My only (minor) gripe with the SG special I have is that I wish I could see wood grain. The finish is beautiful but I'm a snob for some see through finishes haha

Last edited:

Latest posts