2020 Epi Standard vs 61

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by UTGrad, Jan 17, 2021.

1. UTGrad

UTGrad Member

Hello folks I have a 2020 Gibson Les Paul 1950s Slash Standard and I want a SG for my collection. For 2020 there is an Epiphone Standard with Alnico V Classic Pros and the 61 reissue with Alnico II Pro Buckers.

I’m stuck between which one to buy. My Les Paul has the Alnico II Gibson Slash Buckers so I’m leaning towards the Standard Epi SG cause it has Alnico V pups with a more “modern” tone.

Also the supposedly the Standard has a little more beef at the heel and maybe a thicker neck.

Has anyone tried both of these guitars?

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I doubt that any Epiphone SG has anything other than the Slim Taper. Only the Muse seem to have something different called Custom C.

UTGrad likes this.
  3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

the prophecy line is a little different too, "asymmetrical ?" something or other.
    feels more like a modern "metal" profile. but I doubt its a 16" radius or anything.

I've played around on a few new epi Sg's. in general they felt more C shaped than D shaped. i like them.

UTGrad likes this.
  4. No Talent

No Talent New Member

I test drove two 2020 Epiphone SGs. One was the Muse, the other was the SG special with P90's. Both had slimmer C shaped necks and the Muse seemed slightly fuller to me but as we know there can be small variation in neck size even on the same model guitars.

The shop does have some Epiphone SG standards but I did not play them. According to Epiphone they are supposed to have the 60's slim taper necks too. The Epiphone SG special I test drove at GC had the fullest neck of any Epiphone SG I had ever picked up kind of a large 60's/small 50's rounded D shaped profile.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    UTGrad and DrBGood like this.
  5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The Gibson SG '61 Ri is a top level SG

UTGrad likes this.