2020 SG Standard review?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SteveFord59, Jun 30, 2020.

1. SteveFord59

SteveFord59 New Member

Has anyone here played one of the new Standards?
    I see that it has a rounded neck profile and I'm hoping it's something a bit more like my old 74 Standard and less like that gargantuan thing on my old 2006 SG Classic.
    With the plague afoot it's not like I can run over to Guitar Center and give one a whirl.
    Thanks in advance.

2. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

I have one from the late 2019 (november) so idk if that classifies as 2020 model or not, but neck is pretty fat and rounded. Best to try it yourself. I like it

3. SteveFord59

SteveFord59 New Member

Yes, I suppose that's best to wait until the stores eventually reopen. I'm afraid the guy who made my SG Classic neck is still working there, it was just ridiculously fat and rounded.

SG standard likes this.
  4. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

That's pretty funny.

Just hope the quality control guy who worked there is not still working there. That guy was both blind and deaf.

SteveFord59 likes this.
  5. SteveFord59

SteveFord59 New Member

I only have experience with one recent guitar at the moment (a Flying V) but if that's any indication they're back on track. Those extra light bulbs in the shop paid dividends or maybe the QC guy finally retired.

6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Surely you jest.

From my experience, SG Classic necks are perfect. I have a 2004 and 2006.

I prefer fat rounded necks. Try a 1970 SG Junior for size. That's ridiculously fat and rounded. It's like they cut the baseball bat in half lengthwise and glued a fingerboard on top.

[​IMG]

jonnyfez and arcticsg like this.
  7. sazista

sazista Active Member

Is that legal?!

DelBoy-00 likes this.
  8. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Louisville slugger... :D

cerebral gasket likes this.
  9. SteveFord59

SteveFord59 New Member

The neck on my old SG Classic felt like it belonged on a much larger guitar. Maybe it was just that particular one.
    I'm looking for something like you'd find on on a 60s profile Les Paul.
    Take a 61 Reissue neck and add some more girth to it, that's what I'm hoping they did.

10. KS 5150

KS 5150 Member

I find that the neck on my new '61 Standard is very comfortable.

budg likes this.
  11. OV7

OV7 New Member

I just got a 2020 SG Standard and it has a pretty thin neck to me. It feels tiny compared to the Boatneck profile I have on all of my Warmoth assemblies.

SGBreadfan likes this.
  12. SteveFord59

SteveFord59 New Member

Thank you for your input, I found what I was looking for, I'll post up another thread.

13. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

My newer ‘61 Original is .81 at the first fret and beefs up to .95 at the 12th with my calipers. My 2010 Standard has the more rounded neck (batwing in avatar) and feels beefier than the ‘61, but it’s actually smaller at .81-.91. It’s more about the neck shape than the actual measurements, the ‘61 has a much flatter neck which gives the illusion of it being thinner.

budg and SG standard like this.
  14. budg

budg New Member

This is my experience as well. I just purchased a 61 Standard and it is flatter giving the appearance of small. I’ve had skinnier slim taper necks on some Gibson’s , but this one feels very comfortable. The 61 Standard is just a great guitar overall.

SGBreadfan likes this.
  15. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

This is absolutely right, I had quite a surprise when I got a caliper and started measuring my guitar's neck depths. I'd always been curious to see how they compared. But I found my 'super skinny' Guild turned out to be deeper than my '14 SG Standard - 0.821/0.930 against 0.808/0.914. In fact there were so many surprises I figure it's a waste of time looking at the neck depth figures some dealers publish - you're just as likely to be put off a neck you'd love because the numbers aren't giving you the whole story.

SGBreadfan likes this.
  16. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

If like my 2016 SG Standard the neck is great for my small hands

17. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars Member

68-71 had some weird necks. I had a 70-71 sg special with a baseball bat. I got a great price on it, but I returned it anyway because it was nearly unplayable. Neck almost as thick as the body.

I have a weird franken-guitar with perhaps a 1969-1970 SG junior neck on it. That one is chunky but actually feels amazing.

I agree the SG Classics have a huge neck. I think the biggest modern Gibson necks I have experienced were those and the SG Fadeds.

Attached Files: