2020 SG Standard review?

SteveFord59

Reaction score
Has anyone here played one of the new Standards?
I see that it has a rounded neck profile and I'm hoping it's something a bit more like my old 74 Standard and less like that gargantuan thing on my old 2006 SG Classic.
With the plague afoot it's not like I can run over to Guitar Center and give one a whirl.
Thanks in advance.

DelBoy-00

Reaction score
I have one from the late 2019 (november) so idk if that classifies as 2020 model or not, but neck is pretty fat and rounded. Best to try it yourself. I like it

SteveFord59

Reaction score
Yes, I suppose that's best to wait until the stores eventually reopen. I'm afraid the guy who made my SG Classic neck is still working there, it was just ridiculously fat and rounded.

NMA

Reaction score
I'm afraid the guy who made my SG Classic neck is still working there.
That's pretty funny.

Just hope the quality control guy who worked there is not still working there. That guy was both blind and deaf.

SteveFord59

Reaction score
I only have experience with one recent guitar at the moment (a Flying V) but if that's any indication they're back on track. Those extra light bulbs in the shop paid dividends or maybe the QC guy finally retired.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I'm afraid the guy who made my SG Classic neck is still working there, it was just ridiculously fat and rounded.

Surely you jest.

From my experience, SG Classic necks are perfect. I have a 2004 and 2006.

I prefer fat rounded necks. Try a 1970 SG Junior for size. That's ridiculously fat and rounded. It's like they cut the baseball bat in half lengthwise and glued a fingerboard on top.

full

sazista

Reaction score
Surely you jest.

From my experience, SG Classic necks are perfect. I have a 2004 and 2006.

I prefer fat rounded necks. Try a 1970 SG Junior for size. That's ridiculously fat and rounded. It's like they cut the baseball bat in half lengthwise and glued a fingerboard on top.

full
Is that legal?!

SteveFord59

Reaction score
The neck on my old SG Classic felt like it belonged on a much larger guitar. Maybe it was just that particular one.
I'm looking for something like you'd find on on a 60s profile Les Paul.
Take a 61 Reissue neck and add some more girth to it, that's what I'm hoping they did.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I find that the neck on my new '61 Standard is very comfortable.

OV7

Reaction score
I just got a 2020 SG Standard and it has a pretty thin neck to me. It feels tiny compared to the Boatneck profile I have on all of my Warmoth assemblies.

SteveFord59

Reaction score
Thank you for your input, I found what I was looking for, I'll post up another thread.

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
My newer ‘61 Original is .81 at the first fret and beefs up to .95 at the 12th with my calipers. My 2010 Standard has the more rounded neck (batwing in avatar) and feels beefier than the ‘61, but it’s actually smaller at .81-.91. It’s more about the neck shape than the actual measurements, the ‘61 has a much flatter neck which gives the illusion of it being thinner.

budg

Reaction score
My newer ‘61 Original is .81 at the first fret and beefs up to .95 at the 12th with my calipers. My 2010 Standard has the more rounded neck (batwing in avatar) and feels beefier than the ‘61, but it’s actually smaller at .81-.91. It’s more about the neck shape than the actual measurements, the ‘61 has a much flatter neck which gives the illusion of it being thinner.

This is my experience as well. I just purchased a 61 Standard and it is flatter giving the appearance of small. I’ve had skinnier slim taper necks on some Gibson’s , but this one feels very comfortable. The 61 Standard is just a great guitar overall.

SG standard

Reaction score
It’s more about the neck shape than the actual measurements, the ‘61 has a much flatter neck which gives the illusion of it being thinner.

This is absolutely right, I had quite a surprise when I got a caliper and started measuring my guitar's neck depths. I'd always been curious to see how they compared. But I found my 'super skinny' Guild turned out to be deeper than my '14 SG Standard - 0.821/0.930 against 0.808/0.914. In fact there were so many surprises I figure it's a waste of time looking at the neck depth figures some dealers publish - you're just as likely to be put off a neck you'd love because the numbers aren't giving you the whole story.

Bubbalou88

Reaction score
Has anyone here played one of the new Standards?
I see that it has a rounded neck profile and I'm hoping it's something a bit more like my old 74 Standard and less like that gargantuan thing on my old 2006 SG Classic.
With the plague afoot it's not like I can run over to Guitar Center and give one a whirl.
Thanks in advance.
If like my 2016 SG Standard the neck is great for my small hands

Reaction score
68-71 had some weird necks. I had a 70-71 sg special with a baseball bat. I got a great price on it, but I returned it anyway because it was nearly unplayable. Neck almost as thick as the body.

I have a weird franken-guitar with perhaps a 1969-1970 SG junior neck on it. That one is chunky but actually feels amazing.

I agree the SG Classics have a huge neck. I think the biggest modern Gibson necks I have experienced were those and the SG Fadeds.

Attachments

• IMG_4551.JPG
    IMG_4551.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4552.JPG
    IMG_4552.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts