2020 SG Standards and 61s: Quality?

BenTobith

Reaction score
Anyone have a new 2020 SG? I’m curious how you find the quality to be, and especially with the GraphTech nut? I’m assuming they are Tusq nuts?

gball

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Les Paul Special. Looked hard at the SG but preferred the feel of the LP. Either way though, the quality of the 2020's is remarkable...they have really got it dialed in at the moment. Have not even noticed the nut, which I suppose is a good thing.

BenTobith

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Les Paul Special. Looked hard at the SG but preferred the feel of the LP. Either way though, the quality of the 2020's is remarkable...they have really got it dialed in at the moment. Have not even noticed the nut, which I suppose is a good thing.

Well that's good to hear! I'm looking to replace the nut on my 2013 SG with a GraphTech Tusq, which I believe they now use on most guitars.

gball

Reaction score
Well that's good to hear! I'm looking to replace the nut on my 2013 SG with a GraphTech Tusq, which I believe they now use on most guitars.

I replaced the factory nut on my 2016 Firebird with a Tusq and it's great. Actually seemed to improve the tone (chaged it because I thought the factory one was cut just a touch too low as I like my necks to have basically zero relief)

DelBoy-00

Reaction score
I have SG standard that is made in late 2019. (2020 model), I've been scared of new models, because I've heard and seen horrible stuff about QC. But it's perfect, the only small thing is that on some 20th fret there's a few little shiny lacquer spots.

It still smells (good) really strong, and the fretboard is a bit squeaky, i guess that's because it's new and dry. Nut is great, stays much better in tune than my old SG special.

ivan H

Reaction score
I have an original collection SG Standard 61, dated September 15, 2019. Not sure if that is late enough to makes it a 2020 model or not, but I can tell you that the build quality is excellent. The nut is also good, well cut & at a good height. No string buzz (almost no relief) & no pulling sharp when fretting the first couple of frets. IMG_20200415_104725.jpg
I looked at 3 & this one spoke to me, but the build quality on all was similar. (I had a full length pic but it wouldn't upload due to file size). Gibson is hitting it out of the park with these. Cheers

BenTobith

Reaction score
I have an original collection SG Standard 61, dated September 15, 2019. Not sure if that is late enough to makes it a 2020 model or not, but I can tell you that the build quality is excellent. The nut is also good, well cut & at a good height. No string buzz (almost no relief) & no pulling sharp when fretting the first couple of frets. View attachment 41051
I looked at 3 & this one spoke to me, but the build quality on all was similar. (I had a full length pic but it wouldn't upload due to file size). Gibson is hitting it out of the park with these. Cheers

That’s awesome! Is your ABR-1 bridge rattle-y or buzzy? I just picked up a 2020 Les Paul Standard 50s and the ABR-1 drives me CRAZY when I play the guitar unplugged.

Robert Morris

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Is your ABR-1 bridge rattle-y or buzzy? I just picked up a 2020 Les Paul Standard 50s and the ABR-1 drives me CRAZY when I play the guitar unplugged.
My 2019 Standard 61 Had the same exact issue. I refused to keep it like that, just irritated me to no end. Switched to a Nashville-problem solved. Fit and finish were great. But I did have a couple high frets that required work by my luthier. Which makes me question the whole Plek machine voodoo.

JesseXGibson

Reaction score
I can’t speak for the sgs but my 60’s les Paul standard (dated Jan 22nd of 2020) is top notch. And I know, ugh so corny, but it is the best les Paul I’ve ever played. Granted if I had to guess I’ve only played about 30ish in my life. Although my standard hp is still a really wicked lp, my 60’s takes the cake for #1.

BenTobith

Reaction score
I can’t speak for the sgs but my 60’s les Paul standard (dated Jan 22nd of 2020) is top notch. And I know, ugh so corny, but it is the best les Paul I’ve ever played. Granted if I had to guess I’ve only played about 30ish in my life. Although my standard hp is still a really wicked lp, my 60’s takes the cake for #1.

Is your ABR-1 noisy when unplugged?

BenTobith

Reaction score
My 2019 Standard 61 Had the same exact issue. I refused to keep it like that, just irritated me to no end. Switched to a Nashville-problem solved. Fit and finish were great. But I did have a couple high frets that required work by my luthier. Which makes me question the whole Plek machine voodoo.

Thanks. I plan to switch to a Kluson aluminum Nashville-style as well, just as I have on my SG Standard.

JesseXGibson

Reaction score
Is your ABR-1 noisy when unplugged?

It only happened once near the b string saddle after i fine tuned the setup when I bought it (I was adjusting the saddles a bit so I’m sure that’s when the retaining bar lifted). All I did was push down on the retaining bar lightly, but firmly with my pick while I was playing. I heard a faint “click” and it seemed to have seated and went back to normal. No issues since, or before the setup!

BenTobith

Reaction score
It only happened once near the b string saddle after i fine tuned the setup when I bought it (I was adjusting the saddles a bit so I’m sure that’s when the retaining bar lifted). All I did was push down on the retaining bar lightly, but firmly with my pick while I was playing. I heard a faint “click” and it seemed to have seated and went back to normal. No issues since, or before the setup!

What retaining bar? I didn't realize any 2020s had that. Mine doesn't. Odd.

JesseXGibson

Reaction score
@BenTobith I’ll try to post a picture but I’ll try explaining it aswell. Now that I look, it looks more like washers, but I had experience with retaining bars in the past so I thought that’s what it was and never looked twice. If you look on your bridge, specifically the screws to adjust your saddles, there’s bars or washers Around the screw shaft that sit in slots on the bridge. I pressed on the one at the b string and it fixed my problem almost immediately. If that’s not the case with yours I’m not quite sure, but a Nashville bridge will indeed ensure you it doesn’t happen again

Last edited:

JesseXGibson

Reaction score
@BenTobith [GALLERY=media, 3363]C33BFC63-1E38-48A8-A64D-2A10DD7EF68B by JesseXGibson posted Jun 3, 2020 at 7:17 PM[/GALLERY]

This is the best I could do, I’m not sure I’m uploading pics right

rivercider

Reaction score
Bit off topic maybe,but I have noticed that the 2020 SG Juniors have now got a compensated tailpiece instead of the plain wraptail on most of the 2019 examples I have seen.

SG_Manic

Reaction score
Bit off topic maybe,but I have noticed that the 2020 SG Juniors have now got a compensated tailpiece instead of the plain wraptail on most of the 2019 examples I have seen.

Have you got any links to any photo examples. This is interested because I am GASing for a SG Junior and noticed the price difference between the two models. But I thought they were the same specs.

Edit: Edit to say I've very quickly googled this and have seen the photos on Sweetwater....

Do you SG guys think this makes much of a difference?

rivercider

Reaction score
Here in the UK I've seen photos throughout 2019 which all had the plain wraptail, but newer ones (and the Gibson website itself) are now showing the lightning tailpiece. Everything else seems identical. I guess intonation would be a bit better with the lightning tailpiece.
As you say, Sweetwater also shows this change so it must just be something Gibson have done with little fanfare at all - I don't know if it's regarded as an improvement or not really. Over to the SG experts.....

Latest posts