2021 Gibson SG Standard-soft case

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by iluvcrap2000, May 15, 2021.

1. iluvcrap2000

iluvcrap2000 New Member

well I have a reserve order for a new SG, but the few ones available had the Brown case, and the look of the guitars turned me off of them, but the last two I got shown had the Black case, (still the last two wasn't my preference), So I called Gibson and asked is the 21' model have a new case color? and the Rep had Absolutely no clue what I was talking about. They Don't even educate their own employees on upcoming new products or changes, kinda pitiful. So if anyone notices the new guitars come with a Black Leather(hopefuly)soft case don't be surprised. Still like the Brown one though. Thoughts? --oh just found out it's VINYL!, Pfft. Cheapos.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    papagayo likes this.
  2. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I can see why the rep had no clue as to what you're talking about.

Are you saying that you'd prefer the brown case, the black case, or some other new color?

3. iluvcrap2000

iluvcrap2000 New Member

The brown looks more better, the Black looks dingy/Dirty.

4. Paul M

Paul M New Member

It might be just me, but I think an SG Standard should come with a hard shell case.

5. iluvcrap2000

iluvcrap2000 New Member

I agree but Gibson Charges a lot for it. But understandably they want to keep a price point level for certain guitars. the 61's are $1800+ and come with a case that's $300 for a case, the sg junior/specials would be around $1k with just a gig bag. But on Gibsons' website you can get a hardcase for $200. So Basically Gibson is upcharging you to include a case. what a rip. For $50 more they could have included a Hard case!

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    dumpster chicken likes this.
  6. MR D

MR D Member

Gibson has nerve not including a Hard Shell case on any 'Premium' guitar, Standards and up.....If a Player buys a Standard they should get a Hard Shell case and that is really all there should be to it....frikkin' cheeep skates.
    the gig-bag that accompanies the new SG Standards, the 'Modern' series is it(?) is P.U.(as in stinks) Leather and its not protecting a $1600 Guitar from much of anything other than a really dangerous cup of coffee

Dave, zebra and JackStraw like this.
  7. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

OOP's . . .

. . . CRUNCH !

8. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Of course it’s Vinyl. A real leather gig bag of that quality would far exceed what a plywood and vinyl hard case costs.

9. MR D

MR D Member

Right, the definition of leather is where it gets sketchy(?).
    The people that sold me my 2020 SG Standard told me (as I was ordering a Black Gibson Hard Shell case) that the Gig-Hag-Bag that came with the guitar was Poly-Urethane Leather, commonly refferred to as PU Leather (coz it stinks)...it is cheap disgusting garbage and the SS Case actually doesn't look half bad, but I just coud not have my new SG Standard sitting in anything but a Gibson USA Hard-Shell Case. That just aint happening.
    The SG Standard I bought was stamped Dec 22, 2020 and is a 2020 Model, according to the serial#, and that is a 1st for me as I have never seen a Gibson USA Solid-Body (or ES Model too) Electric stamped that late in the year actually be that years model.Production on the next years Guitars usually begins in Early October(?) from my past Xperiences...so guitars, well, no need to explain, you know the rest.....

10. MacDiarmada

MacDiarmada New Member

When I bought my Special new in 91, it came with the pink lined hard case. It’s obviously a cost cutting measure, that they’ve gone to those soft gig bags. Sad.

11. Les537

Les537 Member

I have the brown case that came with my '18 SG special. I really hate how it looks and how bulky it is (yeah, protection, sure). I'd take that black one in the OP all day long.

The 61s come with the hard case (got a '61 stop bar myself). Anything below that is a soft case (I assume they are still brown, but I have no idea) - including standards - as far as I know.

12. Lewbypls

Lewbypls New Member

IIRC, the sg specials come with hsc and it's the same price as the standard and the sg juniors are $100 cheaper than the standard and it also comes with a hsc

13. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

My 2018 special had the brown version gig bag but I got it for just north of $500.

no way I’d be happy at or around 1k and a gig bag, but that is the way of the world now.

My bFg Les Paul and my EB bass came with those horrible flat triangular gig bags, but I got them cheap enough to not be too bothered.

zebra and cerebral gasket like this.
  14. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I purchased my two SG Classics and SG Special Faded second hand. When new, the guitars were shipped from the factory with gig bags. The previous owners had purchased Gibson USA hardshell cases for the guitars and included them with the sale when I received the guitars.

[​IMG]

15. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Cheap skates. If one buys a Standard model, they should include the hard case. End of discussion. These soft garbage cases are good only for home use. But other than that it has the same protection to the guitar as a garbage bag on it.....
    Get rid of this garbage case, sell it, add something and buy used hard case.....

16. macdog

macdog Member

My '13 Junior came with a gig bag so I bought an Epiphone hard case for a fraction of the price of the Gibson case. Says Epiphone on the outside but so what?

laza616 and rotorhead like this.
  17. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  18. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

If you move around to gigs, studios etc a HSC is absolutely a must. That said, I am a crummy home studio player. And despite the fact I would never part with them, I loath that I have a stack of hard shell cases monopolizing one corner of my room

papagayo likes this.
  19. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

And the Gibson case is made in China, so there’s that.

20. Greg Connor

Greg Connor Well-Known Member

The soft case is one irritant, but what really gets me is the black paint on the back of some models. Take a look at the SG Modern. Nice flame maple top and black on the back and neck.