2021 Gibson SG Standard-soft case

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by iluvcrap2000, May 15, 2021.

1. madhermit

madhermit Member

When did they stop including a hardshell case with the Standard? My 2018 came with an HSC. And prices have gone up quite a bit since then.

Edit: I see the Original series 61 Standard comes with an HSC, but for $300 less, the Modern series Standard has the soft shell case. It also has a pcb in the wiring too, which I would guess helps make it cheaper.

2. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

They stopped supplying a HSC for Standards in either 2019 or 2020, I believe.

3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The SG Standard are offered in gig bag for two years, I prefer a case the guitar is well protected everywhere at home, in the car, at friend' s home.....

4. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Member

I bought a 2021 '61 with Maestro vibrola from GC about a month ago. It literally just arrived and was taken out of the shipping box in front of me. It came with the brown hardshell case with purple fuzzy lining, but of course was a $2000 model. I agree that guitar over a $1000 should come with a hardshell especially the $1400-1500 price range Standards and Specials. I bought a $1500 PRS and was very put out that it came in a softshell gig bag even though the bag was of decent quality.

I did buy a used Tony Iommi Epiphone model off of Reverb a while ago and the previous owner shipped it in a super thin gig bag. Luckily, it arrived in good shape but I immediately ordered an Epiphone hardshell for it. For a $120, it was of extremely good quality and seemed just as good and sturdy as a Gibson case for $80 less (retailing for $199). So if you're not bothered by printed logos on the case, it is definitely a good option/bargain.

5. JH1968

JH1968 Member

This is why I won’t buy a new Gibson. If I’m paying $1500+ for a guitar I expect a hsc to come with it.

Robert Morris likes this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Does not matter how much the guitar cost.
    They all used to ship with hard shell cases.
    Don't understand why it is a problem now.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  7. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Not having a hard shell case is not a deal breaker for me. The provided soft shell case actually looks pretty good to me. For the home musician, or even studio musician who is reasonably careful it will work just fine. If you travel a lot, or live in a house with children,lots of parties, or large pets, a factory hard shell case might be a good idea, but I have never seen a factory hard shell case that was really up to being regularly freighted for a touring musician without additional protection. If you are putting your guitar through the rigors of daily road use, you are going to need a better case costing hundreds of dollars anyway, so even getting no case at all is just not an issue to me.

8. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Member

25EDFC43-F59A-4C9E-A979-525365F6BCA6.jpeg My observation is that it only provides a soft support between the 1st and 7th fret. That and the damned zipper to get your guitar out. It’s a fancy dust cover.
    Then there’s the strap…

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

10. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

As someone with many Hard cases in the corner of my music room, I kind of fancy the soft shell case for something different. For a soft shell case, it looks classy

Attached Files:

Tim D., Go Nigel Go and rotorhead like this.
  11. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

IDK where the PU Leather Gig/Hag-Bag is made but the GIBSON Hard-Shell Case I just got to put a 2020 SG Standard in was made in Canada.I also got one HSC that was made in Costa Rica (Les Paul CUSTOM). Considering I am buying an American Made Guitar, I did not like that at all...but at least it was not made in frikkin CHINA, Like the GIBSON HOODED Sweat-Shirt I bought a while back from SWEETWATER was/is...Frikkin inside label of the SWEAT-SHIRT SAYS "GIBSON USA" w/Logo etc right on the label, and right underneath that, where you just can not miss it, it sez "Made in CHINA", FFS....it is a pretty cool lookin Hoodie tho, I will say that.

12. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

Deal breaker, door slammer. Noop. Sorry. Shop used, get a case not a Big Gag.

13. Tim D.

Tim D. Member

The specifications of the guitar is the object of purchase. The difference in the production costs between the ‘61 and Standard are minimal, and lies mainly in the time to build the electronics (PCB vs Soldiering). The hard case costs more than the soft case for Gibson to purchase. Take these small costs and put them through the margin cycle from the manufacture to the dealer and you have the difference in price. Simple.

14. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Member

15. Spiral

Spiral Active Member

It's a put off not having a hsc. I've been drooling over a Kauer Banshee (boutique Gibson Firebird), but no hsc for those either. That's a deal breaker. Any guitar over a 1k needs one, IMO.

16. MR D

MR D Active Member

That is disappointing, that label and where it sez its made....I have one of those things , and my SG Standard has not spent a second inside of it...and I'm thinking of how I could destroy it in as nasty a manner as possible, make a video of doing it and posting the episode...any ideas?
    Torching it might be perilous due to toxic fumes, who knows WTF that thing is really actually made of.Hacking it with an axe might not CUT it...Shooting it would only make it leak.....HHHMMMMM....????

17. Tim D.

Tim D. Member

Y
    You could send it to me and I’ll put it to use with my SG special that came with an even less protective Gibson rifle bag. I’ll pay shipping and I promise to treat it badly!

madhermit likes this.
  18. MR D

MR D Active Member

If ur not kidding.....I could ship it,unwrapped...just slap a label on it is what I'd be willing to do with the piece of 'IT'.. IDK what it would cost...Bro, It might not even be worth shipping even as IDK if it would be a waste of $20 if it were that much to ship.Doesn't weigh much but its linear inches thats chargeable ? U have to know that its really not going to protect a Guitar from much of anything.Out to the car and back...IDK, maybe.....
    BUT BUT BUT, u have a point, those Gibson Rifle Bag's are even worse, well beyond pre-frikkin-posterous! I also have one of those that REALLY needs to be destroyed, so I could still have this li'l bit of a good time I'm planning and maybe even help a Bro out as well....LMK.
    BTW, If you send me an address to ship it to (IDK if I know how to get private messages on this site). I will not tell anyone what it is and will forget it as soon as I send the piece of 'IT'. I'm not kidding, I am #oly $#!t SICK of looking at the piece of 'IT' and its taking up space......a few people on this site have helped me get some things done. SOOOOO...now what came around, gets to go around and its your turn.
    If this was a joke, oh well, ya got me !

19. dumpster chicken

dumpster chicken New Member

Might keep it from getting stolen.

macdog likes this.
  20. budg

budg New Member

I’ve got a LP Tribute that has a soft case, but on an SG standard? Seems like cheapness to me. That would be most of the difference in price between that and a 61 Standard. It was one of the factors that swayed me to the 61.