2021 Gibson SG Standard-soft case

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by iluvcrap2000, May 15, 2021.

1. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

61 has a slim-taper neck profile. Standard has a rounded profile, which I admit isn’t much bigger. It just feels like a fat slim taper to me. Not like a 50’s rounded. I can’t flop my thumb over the top so I guess it helps me play better.

JimH likes this.
  2. SoundsGood

SoundsGood New Member

i heard people who have used the bags for flying with their axe carry on luggage

3. Decadent Dan

I just received a 2021 Junior with a Gibson hard case. The empty case weighs 12lbs and was made in Costa Rica by GWW.
    So, my 6lb Standard and the 5.8lb soft case together weigh less than an empty hard case.
    7679DCD7-59BC-4B2A-8898-03B8A65910BA.jpeg

4. gervase bucktrout

gervase bucktrout New Member

For the price of a Gibson guitar you’d expect a hard case and for it to be delivered by a naked Balinese hand maiden.

Decadent Dan likes this.
  5. Decadent Dan

On my recent Gibson delivery, the Fedex driver decided to skip my house.
    I took the day off to receive it and watched him drive by without stopping. He didn’t even slow down.
    The tracking then updated saying they had attempted delivery.
    I drove across town twice that day and had them take it off his truck when he returned. I picked it up at the terminal that afternoon feeling like I rescued my Junior from the FedEx driver.

6. trypeus

trypeus Member

Needs to be a hard case - end of story.

7. mvenuti1980

mvenuti1980 New Member

I bought a used 2021 Standard from GC and ordered the Gator HSC at the same time. GC somehow manage to forget the gig bag and sent me the guitar naked! Somehow it managed to survive UPS without any protection at all! I called and complained and GC sent me the gig bag 2 Day. I sold that gig bag for $90 on eBay which help offset the $130 for the Gator HSC. I like that that the Gator has a shroud and extra neck padding on the top, but you really have to press the guitar down to get the body to fit in.

papagayo and Decadent Dan like this.
  8. Decadent Dan

What’s the purpose of the shroud?
    I’ve cut two out before.

9. PGSG

PGSG New Member

I had a new Geddy Lee jbass in a gig bag and had to bring it to a hotel and put it in the closet. The next day I looked and there was a huge dent from what looked like a vacuum hitting it. Of course the management was thinking I was pulling one on them. So I found a new body and transferred everything over and sold the dented one.

fast forward to now and my SG T was shipped in a bag, no packing in the bag or around it in the box. Sure enough the nut is broken a little and the fretboard separated from the neck near the top. Some dents too near the bottom. Could this have happened earlier? I’m not sure, I’m in the same position as the hotel.

I didn’t even bother contacting the seller. I lowered the action and adjusted the truss rod and it’s better now - before TONS of dead spots and wasn’t even playable.

…..so in the end hardshell case from here on out for any guitar I have!!!