2021 SG Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by JoeRockHead, Nov 23, 2021.

1. MR D

MR D Active Member

That is just a total Cheap-Skate move by GIBSON USA !WOW, sorry to hear that...worse than I thought...the one my 202 Standard came in was 'Leatherette' w/plush Cushioned Interior, but the POS is still not protecting an SG Standard...its the one which people try to sell for $75+...and its really not something an SG Standard belongs in.....

2. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Is that a custom shop '64, DD?

3. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

That is the Gary Rossington signature SG. I believe it was from the early 2000's. Basically just a 61 CS with some ageing. I am not exactly sur ewhat other specs it had that set it apart from other 61's. Knowing Gibson, it was probably the only aged 61 available at that time period.

I just looked up the specs. It is a 1 piece body with Tom Murphy ageing, aged nickel hardware, and kidney bean tuners. Nothing really special here. The pickups are burst buckers which I find extremely odd. Not Like Gary was rocking Burst buckers in the 60's and 70's

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  4. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

[​IMG]

None of my guitars have grain like this one . . .

I sure wish they did !

5. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Probably some low-ling new-be tried something new and hit on a winner !

6. JoeRockHead

JoeRockHead New Member

Well after a few weeks with this guitar I must say I am still totally enamored. Of all the electrical guitars if have had the opportunity to have in my hands, this is the first one that actually feels and sounds like a fine instrument. I mean that literally. Every time I pick it up and play a few notes i am amazed at the bell like tones coming out of my amp and seemingly lasting forever. Even unplugged it get this vibe. I am just blown away.

Håkon and pancake81 like this.
  7. zack baker

zack baker New Member

I picked one up a couple months ago and I am in the same boat....absolutely enamored by it, haven't touched another guitar since. but I am curious about Mr. D's question...what do you have your neck relief set at? iI had to set mine fairly high...close to what they recommend to avoid buzzing

8. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Basically, you can lower the strings until they start to buzz, and that's the bottom limit without putting it on the set up bench for more in depth adjustments. Beyond that it is down to taste and comfort. I have known some players who actually prefer a higher than average action. I don't get it myself, but it is what you like that matters on your guitar. I would say if you are happy you are done. :D

9. JoeRockHead

JoeRockHead New Member

I havent messed with my neck relief as I haven't seen any reason t to, I have been happy with the way it came. The only change I did make was the original 10 gage strings because the ones on it sounded muddy even though I usually use 10s. Maybe due to too many fingers playing them in guitar center. I put a set of EB Slinky 9s on it that I happened to have and it brightened right up then i tweaked the intonation a bit. I find now I actually like 9s on this guitar.

10. MR D

MR D Active Member

Bro, I'm sure you know the Doozy LT II's ROCK !! A lot of players dont like them and I've No idea why ! IMO, they are ROCKIN' ! When it comes to engineering, those Germans are pretty tough to beat !

11. JoeRockHead

JoeRockHead New Member

IMG_20211219_094213~2.jpg I actually didn't know there was any dislike for the Duesenburg tremolo, it certainly works well and doesn't seem to have so much of the tuning stability issues so often described of the other trem systems when installed on an SG, especially with a roller bridge. On top of that, it is totally reversible, and even easily transferable to my other guitars with similar original tailpieces. I personally like the look as well, though the position of the large tension spring did take some getting used to at first.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  12. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

My father told me when I was learning that a good guitar player can play any guitar.
    Any neck shape, anything.

For me, that has turned out to be true, so I agree with this. And many of my musician friends play fiddle
    banjo, mandolin, etc. as well. Many of them play electric and acoustic alternately. So when I read posts about
    players rejecting perfectly good guitars because they don't think the neck is right, that perplexes me.
    I own a number of fine instruments and their necks are all different, and I love them all.

guitar slut, I know...

laza616 and Go Nigel Go like this.
  13. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with the above. The only caveat I would entertain is that there are still some necks, looks, shapes, and features that I like better than others for my personal instruments. That doesn't mean the others suck, or that I can't play them equally well, just that when I go to buy, my feelings and preferences come into play. I would also add that I have wound up buying and loving guitars that would have failed to meet some arbitrary criteria I set at an earlier age. As I have aged into my current state as a player, the number of "deal breakers" has been reduced to a handful of things that I accept as being purely personal preferences, not objective faults with a given instrument.