3D Models for SG Pickguards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by THRobinson, May 14, 2021.

1. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

Hey guys, I have a small desktop CNC machine (Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO) and still learning with it. Grabbed it mostly for making pickguards for guitars where pickguards can't be bought for (ie. Teiscco, Kay, Kawai, etc...)

Got a 2004 '61 Reissue SG, but all the plastic/hardware is missing.

I found the template on Electric Herald's site for the pickguard and tenon cover, haven't printed a test yet.... but no back cover.

Does the back of this use the same as the Les Paul by any chance? I mean... I guess technically it is a Les Paul, but I mean, the modern LP?

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Same back cover for SG and LP ? Nope.

Can't you make a template from your guitar ? I made one manually for mine.

Cavity control cover.jpg

3. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

If I have to I will, but if a template exists I'd rather use it.

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    My method for reproducing things like this is to put it in a scanner with a ruler alongside. Then I import the picture into Solidworks and scale it until the ruler is the right length. Then I use spline curves to create the outline and simple circles for the screw holes. That leads easily to a toolpath that goes into my CNC machine. This is a guard I made for an SG. I did two versions - one for humbuckers, and another for a set of Strat pickups
    upload_2021-5-14_17-56-26.png upload_2021-5-14_17-56-45.png

5. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

I do the outline in Illustrator then export as a DWG and import into Fusion 360.

I did one for a Kay SG, which has the half sized pickguard plus front control cover because routed on the front like a Strat. Came out looking good, not yet CNC'd it though. Printed a test copy and fit well but different from a Gibson/Epiphone.

Same deal... Neck and body only. Enough of an outline on the body where the plastic was, thanks to years of dirt, that I was able to trace it out with acrylic paint markers, then with tracing paper was able to trace it out, scan it, outline it, etc.

Modded it though from 2vol and 2tone to 1 of each. Plan was to put Telecaster pickups in, but the Kay pickup rings are huge, almost 1" longer than standard, and putting tele pickups in looked kinda goofy. I have a set of mini humbuckers from GFS I'm using instead.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  6. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

Well, after a lot of printouts and fine adjustments I got a really good fit for the backplate... Why they didn't just use flat sides and a 1in radius on corners beats me.

Printed the 2 diagrams I found for the half size pickplate, close to one another but not the same... Neither will work. Apart from screw spacing being way off as with number of screws, the swoop at the bottom extends too low and will overlap the plastic 3way switch plate.

For simplicity you'd think that for plastic parts like this, Epi would use the same templates as Gibson.

At least the diagrams were pdf and editable... I can import to illustrator and tweak it to fit.

Unless someone is able to pop theirs off and scan the bottom for me? :)