3way switch for 3 pickups

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by THRobinson, Jun 6, 2020.

1. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

I have an old Hagstrom Swede guitar from 1970, which has two 3way switches at 90 degree angles, a 5lug for pickup selection, and a 7lug for tone select.

Switchcraft seems to have 5 and 9 lug.

If not mistaken, the SG Custom with 3 pickups uses a 3way 7lug switch, correct? If so, do you modify a 9lug? Or is there a part#?

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Freeway 6 way toggle for 3 pickup guitars. It’s the boss hoss

3. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

I need a 3-way toggle though

Basically on an old Hagstrom, the 3way toggle has a 0.0047uf and a 0.015uf cap connected to it. Middle position is straight through, then up is one cap down the other.

Plus, 0.047uf caps on the tones knobs. Some diagrams show a resistor as well, some don't... my Hagstrom Swede is apparently the 3rd one ever built so, I'm using the oldest diagrams I can find. :)

I can't read most, so been working on a more visual diagram like Seymour Duncan provides. The Hagstrom site has a PDF of the modern wiring, and very similar which says the 7 lug switch, but a few spots in the diagram are a bit messy and confusing.

Modern Diagram

[​IMG]

4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need DPDT switches, and although I'm not 100% I think that's what it's showing in the schematic.

5. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

Yeah, I think I came across a Fender made toggle switch that will work

Fender 3-POSITION (DPDT) Toggle Switch
    Part# 0068469000

Didn't know they used one, but I guess not everything by Fender is a Strat or a Tele. :D Surprised that no one here had any info though... since again, I think they use these for the HHH SG's.

[​IMG]