490 Pickups in my Special T...blah.

laza616

Reaction score
Well, according to their website they are not the cheapest pickups they offer.
And even if they were, i see it as a win for me that i can get a decent great pickups for a lower price!

And honestly, higher price doesnt mean superior quality. This is pretty short-minded opinion, that the more expensive thing, the better. Its completely out of reason to think this way. I mean, if you have a 490s set you dont want or you have a special need to spend more money l can give you my adress or my bank account number and i will appreciate any of it hahah.
No, honestly, more expensive pickups or guitar wont make you better guitarist.
I agree that Standard modeles MUST be shipped with the hard case. Period

Rich Cuellar

Reaction score
That was a really interesting thread. Regardless of perceived value, a LOT of people prefer the 490 combo over other pickup choices regardless of cost. There are so many factors involved as to how a pickup sounds (ie amp, string choice, room, volume, touch etc), that I'm realizing in my short time playing guitar that high dollar pickups aren't always good, and inexpensive pickups aren't always bad. As I mess around with my amp settings (Supro Blues King 10, '65 Princeton Reverb) Im finding I love the 490s through my Supro, not so much with my Princeton.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
In my personal experience I also find no reliable correlation between cost and benefit. As stated above, overall sound is a result of how everything in your signal chain interacts from the string to the speaker cone. If you don't like the sound you are getting, change something.

You can spend a lot of money or a little, but don't expect to just be able to go down a list and buy "all the premium $#!t" and always get the best results. It is also a mistake to assume that what works best for you is going to work best for everyone else, and visa versa.

Barring any objective evidence of fault, there are just opinions. I have seen plenty of folks who are quite happy with their 490s and plenty who didn't like them. If you don't like them don't use them, we are "spoiled for choice" like never before in terms of pickups, and there is no reason anyone should be stuck with something they don't like. Pick something else. There is also no reason to presume your choice is the only correct one.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I have the same reaction when I see people drive around in the CHEAPEST Rolls Royce. Those cheap fckn bastards!

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I don’t know why they still use CHEAP cloth insulated wire on the more expensive guitars. Surely the plastic insulation is better? :rofl:

Col Mustard

Reaction score
There are so many factors involved as to how a pickup sounds (ie amp, string choice, room, volume, touch etc), that I'm realizing in my short time playing guitar that high dollar pickups aren't always good, and inexpensive pickups aren't always bad. As I mess around with my amp settings (Supro Blues King 10, '65 Princeton Reverb) Im finding I love the 490s through my Supro, not so much with my Princeton.

To me, it still comes back to basic EQ. and how you adjust your controls.
Also, leveling the 490 pickups with the strings makes more difference than it does with
other pickups. So IMHO there's no reason you can't get good tone with your existing
equipment... especially with those amps. Those amps sound great if you plug in an SG
or a Telecaster, or a Stratocaster, or a Les Paul, or what.

Weaselcoon

Reaction score
I have two SGs with that set. A standard and a Special T. They actually sound fairly different in the different guitars. My big guard standard is louder and punchier IMO. The Special T is a little darker and woodier sounding. But they both sound good. I just use the knobs on the guitar and amp until it sounds good. Usually takes less than a minute.

But all our ears are different

Rich Cuellar

Reaction score
I ended up buying a used set of '57 Classic neck/'57 Classic Plus Bridge. Once i install them Ill report back here if anyones interested.

MR D

Reaction score
In my personal experience I also find no reliable correlation between cost and benefit. As stated above, overall sound is a result of how everything in your signal chain interacts from the string to the speaker cone. If you don't like the sound you are getting, change something.

You can spend a lot of money or a little, but don't expect to just be able to go down a list and buy "all the premium $#!t" and always get the best results. It is also a mistake to assume that what works best for you is going to work best for everyone else, and visa versa.

Barring any objective evidence of fault, there are just opinions. I have seen plenty of folks who are quite happy with their 490s and plenty who didn't like them. If you don't like them don't use them, we are "spoiled for choice" like never before in terms of pickups, and there is no reason anyone should be stuck with something they don't like. Pick something else. There is also no reason to presume your choice is the only correct one.
If you are reffing to my opine, its not the sound of the pickup, it is the price of a set of new 490R&T's....and when GIBSON puts 490's (which, BTW, ARE GIBSON's cheapest Humbucking pickup's) in a Standard or even has the nerve to put the 490's in a $5,000.00 Les Paul CUSTOM (like they did in the Lester CUSTOMs from 2012-2020 and maybe still do, instead of $700/Pair Custom-Buckers) , IMO, it is a cheapskate move by GIBSON (just one of many over the decades)....this is my one and only point.....GIBSON doesnt have to put its cheapest HB pickup's, the 490's, in a Standard or a CUSTOM, they sure don't..... A set of 490 R/T's go for $275 +/- new, and a set of '57's will run you roundabout $400, BB Pro's even more $$$, Custom-Buckers...fuggedaboudit....That is my only point., NOT whether or not someone prefers the tone of a particular pickup......or not....A cheeepskate move is a cheeepskate move is a cheeepskate move is all.

ME? Personally? I'm not a fan of the 490's, theyz da only pickup's GIBSON makes that I do not particularly care for....but that is just my ears, I know plenty of playerz that like them.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Would you feel better if they just charged more for the 490's? Assuming Gibson is winding their own pickups rather than paying full retail, I can't imagine they are saving much money one way or the other. What exactly is the "secret sauce" that makes one pickup worth 75 bucks a pair, and another 750 bucks? My guess is marketing and internet mystique.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I ended up buying a used set of '57 Classic neck/'57 Classic Plus Bridge. Once i install them Ill report back here if anyones interested.
We're always interested in how something works for you, especially when someone asks for advice or suggestions. In spite of my saying that the 490s can be EQ'd to give you just about anything, I also believe the '57 Classics are an upgrade. Getting them at a discount is the way to go.

Personally I wonder if you'll hear much difference between the 490R and the 57 Classic when you swap the neck p'ups. I didn't. But I liked my 490R, and I like my 57 Classic neck p'up, so there you are.

For me, the '57 Classic plus may be my favorite pickup. It's wound hotter than the 490R
but not as hot as some others discussed here. I like that. And I hope you do too.

Rich Cuellar

Reaction score
We're always interested in how something works for you, especially when someone asks for advice or suggestions. In spite of my saying that the 490s can be EQ'd to give you just about anything, I also believe the '57 Classics are an upgrade. Getting them at a discount is the way to go.

Personally I wonder if you'll hear much difference between the 490R and the 57 Classic when you swap the neck p'ups. I didn't. But I liked my 490R, and I like my 57 Classic neck p'up, so there you are.

For me, the '57 Classic plus may be my favorite pickup. It's wound hotter than the 490R
but not as hot as some others discussed here. I like that. And I hope you do too.
Thanks! I got the pair for about $200 even, so I felt it was a good deal. I also bought a good wiring harness from a local business called Gunstreet Wiring. I’m sure the stock PCB harness is fine, but I just figured if I’m going to do it, I might as well go all the way(;

MR D

Reaction score
Would you feel better if they just charged more for the 490's? Assuming Gibson is winding their own pickups rather than paying full retail, I can't imagine they are saving much money one way or the other. What exactly is the "secret sauce" that makes one pickup worth 75 bucks a pair, and another 750 bucks? My guess is marketing and internet mystique.
OH Yeah, I want to pay $200/per 490 so I can brag about how much I paid for a 490....NOT ! !

Try playing a Lester w/Custom-Buckers in it, next to one w/490's yes? Then you can tell me if there is a difference (BIG ?).......IDK but it might have something to do with the Alnico III magnets and, maybe Magnet material (Ceramic or Iron or Lead, IDK) and type of wire and coating used and # of turns,.......BUT IDK, I really don't,,,,,, I'm not an Electro- Physicist (IDK if there is even such a profession either)

BUT one thing I do know is that w/GIBSON you pay for everything.......and players especially PAY for the FINER things...want a Head-Stock Binding ? Cost you a kidney...or maybe a Figured Maple Cap,? You be Uppin that 1st Born Son.... etc.....you cant even buy Custom-Buckers, by themselves, from Gibson.

So, IDK......BUT.... IMO, the 'Secret-Sauce', whatever that is, has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Sootio

Reaction score
I tried a few different sets of pickups in my Faded Special and wound up putting the 490's back in. They work well for me. They're called 490's because that was the in house part # for the original PAF's. If they were called Duanebuckers or something like that people would love them.

Rich Cuellar

Reaction score
The neck 490R is good for me, I like it but the 490T is really weak, not enough output level. The 498T is fine with the 490R.

5Ih0bpg.jpg
Interesting, The BB Pros and the 490s have nearly identical output ranges. I wonder what the big differences is between the two as far as construction. I know theirs a definite price difference.

MR D

Reaction score
I tried a few different sets of pickups in my Faded Special and wound up putting the 490's back in. They work well for me. They're called 490's because that was the in house part # for the original PAF's. If they were called Duanebuckers or something like that people would love them.
Interesting, The BB Pros and the 490s have nearly identical output ranges. I wonder what the big differences is between the two as far as construction. I know theirs a definite price difference.

The Magnets in the BB Pro's are Alnico 5, IIRC, the 490's are Alnico 2 Magnets

MR D

Reaction score

Posting problems...so this may come out twice.

The BB Pro's have Alnico 5 Magnets, the 490's have Alnico 2 Magnets

MR D

Reaction score

Interesting...what Pickup's did you try in the SG Faded ? I had one w/490's and I sold it...its just about the only guitar I was ever sorry I sold.....that li'l guitar was a freak, had that 'IT' factor goin on....and it was a bargain too @ $542 new 'out the door' @ GC, DANG...LAL....

Sootio

Reaction score
Interesting...what Pickup's did you try in the SG Faded ? I had one w/490's and I sold it...its just about the only guitar I was ever sorry I sold.....that li'l guitar was a freak, had that 'IT' factor goin on....and it was a bargain too @ $542 new 'out the door' @ GC, DANG...LAL....
I tried some Duncan Antiquities and a set of 57 Classics. The 490's sounded and felt better to me. My Faded definitely has an "it" factor going on. It's a keeper.

Latest posts