5 String Tentone

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pingdum, Jan 26, 2017.

1. pingdum

pingdum Member

Here's a project I've been working on. I call it the 5 String Tentone because its 22in scale is between a Tenor guitar and a Baritone Ukulele. I started with an Epiphone Les Paul X-Press. It's tuned dD G B E. I've been using pretty much all SG parts.
    The pick-up is from an 82 Special II, the Bigsby is a Gibson branded one from a 70s SG and I have tuners from an SG-X that still need to be installed.
    The main problem I'm having is with the instability of the Bigsby. It has nylon bearings which tend to stick. Does anyone know of replacement bearings of this size are available? I got some modern roller ones but they didn't fit.
    Any ideas? img_0937.jpg img_0938.jpg img_0939.jpg

SG John likes this.
  2. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about your questions, but that is awesome.

pingdum likes this.
  3. pingdum

pingdum Member

Thanks, my question concerns the Bigsby.
    It was made by Bigsby but branded Gibson. They put them on SGs for a few years in the 70s. The bearing that the main shaft rides on are made of nylon instead of the metal roller bearings they use today. It's hard to keep it lubed so often after using it sticks a bit and doesn't quite return to center, making the guitar a tad flat.
    I was wondering if someone made a replacement metal bearing. It's a different size than the standard one.

SG John likes this.
  4. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Sorry for the slow reply, I just noticed this thread. That's a cool build. Do these guys have anything that will fit. I'm sure with accurate dimensions, something could be found.

http://www.impactbearing.com/brochurepg30.pdf

5. pingdum

pingdum Member

Looks like a great resource. Next time I take it apart I'll measure. I cleaned it and lubed it up so as long as pay attention while I'm playing I can keep it in tune. Here's a vid of me playing it...

SG John likes this.