50s Wiring with a Coil Split

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Roo, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Roo

Roo New Member

Hi, I was wandering if any of you guys could give some advice or point me in the right direction. Im taking the PCB out of my SG standard and rewiring from scratch. Im wanting to do it 50s style, with orange drops, and a coil split for the neck pickup only (push/pull on the volume). The wiring I'm using is 4 core (normal Gibson pickup stuff).

I know there are many very similar threads to this but i have tried to figure them out and am having a hard time doing so, its my first time doing anything like this. I can't find an exact circuit diagram of what i want to do, though i have found ones demonstrating how to do 50s wiring, or how to do a push/pull coil tap, but not how to combine them. Can anybody either explain to me what i might want to do, point me in the direction of somewhere i can find out for myself, or even be a bloody legend and just draw me a circuit diagram haha

2. Roo

Roo New Member

[​IMG]
    I like this diagram a lot, it makes intuitive sense to me. However i don't know how to incorporate a coil split on the neck volume pot. Any help would be much appreciated, even if someone just MSpainted the push/pull on top!

3. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Ok, ignore the way the pot is wired in this diagram, and just pay attention to the push/pull switch, and the "tap" wires connected to it. Use the two wires that are taped together, and you should be fine.
    https://guitarelectronics.com/1-humbucker-1-volume-pull-for-north-single-coil/

There is another way to do a coil tap, that doesn't require adding a switch. Simply solder the tap wires to that unused lug on the tone pot. From 0-9, you will have a humbucker. When turned to 10, it will be a single coil. Simple enough to try, without needing more parts. I use that at times, to see if I like the sound of the tapped pickup.

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Or... You could skip the push pulls and do Seymour Duncan Triple Shot rings if you're mildly talented with a soldering iron.

Doing it this way allows you to wire it exactly the same as the first diagram as the TS rings would have a hot, a ground, and the shield wire exiting them.

5. Roo

Roo New Member

cheers guys, my guitar doesn't have pickup rings (full size pick guard), and I've already bought the push pull so i think ill stick to it for now. also that turn it up to 10 for single coils idea is really interesting, but as i said i might as well use the push pull now i have it haha.

so if I'm correct, i would do exactly as in my diagram there, except ground the bottom left pin of the push pull, attach the green and white wires to the middle left pin, and leave the top left and the entire three right pins completely untouched? that sounds doable.

6. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

50's wiring is simply connecting the tone pot to the output of the volume rather than the input, so using the middle lug of the volume pot.

Hook up the bridge pickup (non push/pull) like this

50's volume.PNG

and the neck volume like this

push pull volume.PNG

The wire color codes on your pickups might be different, a quick Google will tell you which ones are which.

7. Roo

Roo New Member

Nice, cheers again. That’s what I was thinking. The diagram kind of cofuses me because they haven’t put the capacitors bridging the gap between the pots, but I know that doesn’t really make a difference

8. Roo

Roo New Member

hay guys, been looking at the diagrams there and drawing my own complete one. just a quick question, why is it in the one that plankton drew me, the tone and volume pots are connected by the two middle lugs, but on the original diagram i found the pots are linked from the third lug of the tone to the middle lug of the volume. why is that? does it make a difference? cheers

Edit: also only the middle lug of the tone pots are used at all? just making sure, want to get this right first time if at all possible haha should I earth the middle lug on the tone and have the capacitor wired to the third lug?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  9. Roo

Roo New Member

Deleted

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  10. Roo

Roo New Member

Hi guys, can someone check this diagram over for me, I think this is correct. Im planning on doing this in a couple hours, so a response soon would be great! thanks for the help :) tried as hard as i could to make it as clear as possible...

diagramguitar2.jpg

11. Bad Penguin

Yes, you got it.

12. Roo

Roo New Member

Cheers man, wish me luck!

13. plankton

That's my mistake, the original diagram wasn't 50's wiring so I erased those wires and redrew them incorrectly, they should go from the middle lug of the volume to the left hand side of the tone not the middle. Sorry for any confusion. The diagram you drew looks good.

14. Roo

Roo New Member

It’s no worries man, cheers. Well it went pretty well. Took me many hours haha but it’s done, the switch I thinks nackered but it was on its way out to begin with, there’s maybe a teeny bit of noise, and I couldn’t for the life of me get the knobs to sit as low as they used to against the guitar. But overall pretty chuffed!

15. plankton

Different pots can have different length shafts as well as the sleeve the the shaft protrudes from, so if they're longer than your old pots the knob will sit higher.

16. Roo

Roo New Member

yeah, i recon ill just have to live with it for now, its noticeable but I've seen worse. overall pretty chuffed, its messing with my mind hearing my SG sound like a strat, but its added a bit of versatility. I'm a one guitar man for now so this is a good thing!

Raiyn likes this.
  17. Roo

Roo New Member

one further question for you fellas. I've noticed a fair volume drop off in the middle position, and when i turn down one of the volume knobs the overall volume goes back up to normal. if I'm not mistaken those are the symptoms of an electronically out of phase set of pickups....can anybody understand why that would be from my diagram? didn't mean to wire them out of phase....though actually sounds pretty good

18. Bad Penguin

Very simple: One of the pickups are wired opposite of the other. What that means is that the ground and hot wires are reversed. to fix that, is simply reverse the ground with the hot wire on ONE pickup. If it's red to pot lug, and black to ground, then make it black to lug, red to ground. OR............

https://guitarelectronics.com/2-hum...tch-2-volumes-2-tones-coil-tap-reverse-phase/

this will add a second push/pull switch to yours. This way, you make it come on when you want it. A very 70's kind of tone.

19. Roo

Roo New Member

Yeah, I had a google, seems the Gibson pickup colour code isn’t consistent on the PCB humbuckers. It’s very odd. So you say it’s as simple as swapping the black and red on one? Nice. Yeah, for now I’ll pick either in or out of phase and keep it that way, had enough of wiring up new pots for a while haha. Cheers guys. Been a great help