60th Anniversary 61 SG vs 64 SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by hi13ts, Oct 14, 2021.

1. hi13ts

hi13ts New Member

Hi all, I'm on the hunt to upgrade my SG to a custom shop SG and essentially "be done" with the trade ups. I've done it on just about all my other Gibsons, and my SG is one of the last. I have a 2015 SGS3 which I've modified quite a bit and is overall a great guitar. Very versatile and easy to play. The three pickup thing can be annoying sometimes. I feel as though that extra pickup, even when not engaged, is affecting the tone. The guitar is overall more choked than most other SGs I've played that don't have the third pickup. I played a few three pickup Customs that I felt had a similar tonal characteristic. That and the fact that my playing style seldom uses the middle pickup makes it an easy choice to let go.

I've had the pleasure to play a few 60th Anniversary 61 SGs at CME a few weeks ago and I must say, they were pretty great. Beautiful to behold and full of character, each one. However, I'm not a fan of the sideways vibrola and I personally feel as though it's less desirable, tonally, than the Maestro vibrola. So I figured the natural choice would be to find a '64 Reissue with the Maestro vibrola. Unfortunately, not so easy to find at the moment.

My question is if anyone has had a chance to play both, what are some striking characteristics of each that you've observed. Did you prefer one over the other? I understand neck profile is different and the trem system, but everything else should be identical or at least very similar. I appreciate your sharing in advance!

2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Awesome Custom Shop SGs :cool:

Temp 47756.JPG

JackStraw and Norton like this.
  3. MR D

MR D Active Member

I sadly had to send back an zzounds 'Exclusive' '19 Sideways Vibrola SG 3 Pickup model in Ebony w/Gold H'ware as the Fret-board was rotted, FFS, ICBI !! That Guitar had the best TONE I have ever heard out of an SG. It had 3 '57 Classics and was frikkin SICK. it did not stay in tune, but I planned on locking the Vibrola and I wanted to keep it but was advised of the defect and it had to go back. Long story shortened: The 2019 SG Maestro I got to replace it is a FINE instrument, IT definitely ROCKS ! Another 'Exclusive' @ ZZounds its the only other '57 classic equipped SG GIBSON USA issued in 2019 and is why I bought it (19Th fret Neck joint too!). I put a GIBSON '61T in the Bridge and w/the stock '57 Classic in the neck its a GREAT Guitar, but the sideways Vibrola equipped 3 '57 P-Up SG Model I just mentioned was just a better sounding Guitar. IDK if that helps but that's my $1.380
    Sometimes w/GIBSON's ya never know until you play one.

Voxman likes this.
  4. MR D

MR D Active Member

BOTH are BAD-A$$....I'll take two of each, PLEASE !....but If I could only have one? The one on the left will do nicely ! Does the white one have the Double Cut Diamond Head-Stock In-Lays ? Those are just all-out KILLER lookin' and in the looks dept., well, all else being equal, that would make it a 'NO CONTEST' for me !