61 SG Standard Late NGD from Christmas

Josvasen

Reaction score
This is my first post on here. My girlfriend (now fiance) bought me this guitar for Christmas.

This is my first SG, and I love it! It plays and sounds great. No neck dive! I swapped the pickguard out for a Creamtone one which I think looks better. I believe the body is a one piece, but I could be wrong. I know most of the new ones are 2 piece. Thanks for looking

UA7VnnM.jpg
H516IJE.jpg
SdhJ6Z7.jpg
nc0JtrR.jpg

Last edited:

vancouverois

Reaction score
Nice guitar!
Coming from your fiancée, a pretty nice present ;-)

Just a thought, Is your guitar stand ok with Gibson nitro finish?
I know that my guitar stand is not, the rubber/foam material may discolor or cloud the finish.

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Nice guitar!

I know that my guitar stand is not, the rubber/foam material may discolor or cloud the finish.

That looks like a Hercules stand, they're supposed to be nitro safe...

Josvasen

Reaction score
Nice guitar!

The stand is a Hercules. From their site:

"HERCULES takes great pride in providing you with the highest quality and most trusted stands in the world. HERCULES had conducted numerous trials on our SFF foam and is pleased to conclude that the foam does NOT react with the large majority of popular instrument finishes on the market, including Nitrocellulose. These trials included subjecting an assortment of high end and budget friendly instruments on our variety of stands to punishing heat, bitter cold and common room temperatures for periods of up to six months without disruption.

However, each instrument manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose, with varying proportions of the chemical agents involved. There are thousands of variations of lacquer in use in today’s instrument manufacturing processes, making it impossible to test them all. Therefore, to maintain the level of respect and support your valuable instrument deserves, we recommend you refer to your instrument's owner’s manual for more information regarding the proper storage of your instrument."

Honestly, I am trying to get better at playing so she bought me this guitar knowing that I was going to leave it out. If I was super worried about the finish, I would probably leave it in the case over a stand.

Josvasen

Reaction score
Rumor has it that glue makes all the bodies one piece.

I don't really care how many pieces the guitar is, but I have seen some where the two pieces were like BAM in your face because they weren't matched very well

Neezduts89

Reaction score
This is my first post on here. My girlfriend (now fiance) bought me this guitar for Christmas.

This is my first SG, and I love it! It plays and sounds great. No neck dive! I swapped the pickguard out for a Creamtone one which I think looks better. The believe the body is a one piece,, but I could be wrong. I know most of the new ones are 2 piece. Thanks for looking

UA7VnnM.jpg
H516IJE.jpg
SdhJ6Z7.jpg
nc0JtrR.jpg

is that a DSL40CR? If so that’s a great amp. I use one too and I love it

Neezduts89

Reaction score
Yes, I really enjoy it. The only bummer is that we live in an apartment so I can barely turn it up most of the time lol

Same here lol I’ve used it on the low output setting mode and it just doesn’t have the same kick as it does at full power, but it’s a great amp either way. Both of my SG’s sound killer through it. That’s a beautiful 61 you have by the way. Enjoy!

DRC68

Reaction score
What a wonderful fiancée you have, and a beautiful instrument. Congrats!

gypsyseven

Reaction score
Looks killer, congrats! My SG seems also to have some piece body...that pickguard is the icing on the cake!

Latest posts