62 les pual custom

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Sheldon Pearcey, May 21, 2021.

1. JackStraw

JackStraw Member

Gibson has opened their new repair & restoration shop & they'll give you an estimated cost for the work.

DJGranite and pancake81 like this.
  2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

great suggestion

3. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

Hi Sheldon - I'm lucky that the original PAFs were still there even though a lot of the guitar had been messed up. The bridge p'up had to be rewound, the neck was fine. Its an incredible sounding guitar. Early 60s SGs are still an amazing deal compared with crazy Burst prices.

zhivago likes this.
  4. 76Standard

76Standard New Member

That’s a strange routing next to middle pkup and matching hole in the pickguard. Anybody know what that’s about?

5. Sheldon Pearcey

Sheldon Pearcey New Member

Well it's nice to know that gibson has a repair facility I'm going to contact them. The hole in the pick guard was for a switch that my dad added then later removed thanks for the help everyone

6. DaveSG

DaveSG Member

Is that a large metal plate over the entire guitar? If so, have you taken it off to see what's underneath? Any more pictures of you have of the top and (like others have said) the neck/twist?

That is a nice guitar, and valuable. Those pickups look pretty legit from my untrained eye. That's $6000+ right there. Make sure it goes to someone who is reputable and is familiar working w/ vintage Gibsons, such as BCRgreg, Bavarian customs, etc. There are folks who specialize in vintage SGs.

I would recommend making a post over at the lespaulforum.com and posting your guitar and all the pictures you have in the 'Vintage SG' section, and asking for some good leads on who can help you get a restoration started. I've seen some very, very impressive work, including

I wouldn't take it back to Gibson. Their prices would be sky high and I think some of the people who are very experienced with these guitars can do a better job w/ more authentic materials to restore it.

fernieite likes this.