'67 SG Standard batwing tips

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by jk67SG, Aug 4, 2020.

1. jk67SG

jk67SG Member

My '67 Standard pickguard started to show the common 'tip uplift' due to the black/white layers shrinking at different rates. Has anyone successfully been able to correct this problem, and if so, how? My initial thoughts were to sandwich the pickguard between 2 aluminum plates with weight on top and a source of gentle heat like a heat pad and warm it slowly over a long period of time.

Anyone?

2. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

I’ve glued down warped single ply Fender pickguards with a dab of SuperGlue or Gorilla glue, but these were not vintage lacquer finishes.
    I had an old J-45 that curled up the pg. Double sided tape was the Rx, after removing the rubber cement Gibson originally used.

3. Danelectro

Danelectro New Member

I'm late to the party here, but I just wanted to say that I've tried flattening warped celluloid with pretty much zero success. I have some really nice looking NOS celluloid tortoise sheets that unfortunately are too warped to use for pickguards. I've tried back-bending the sheets and it always reverts back to its original warped shape. The celluloid sheets have a much better memory than I do.

I had read a suggestion online to sandwich a warped pickguard between two sheets of glass and put it in the sun for the afternoon. Well it was winter and the ground was covered with snow so that wasn't practical, so I came up with the brainiac idea of stress relieving the material by warming it in an old toaster oven. I sandwiched a warped celluloid DC Junior pickguard between two sheets of glass and put it in the oven at the lowest setting. As it turns out, this REALLY BAD IDEA. After about 5-6 minutes I noticed smoke coming from the oven so I popped the door open and a two-foot ball of flame instantly flared-up. The celluloid combusted as soon as the oxygen hit it. I knew celluloid was flammable, but I didn't expect it to flash like gunpowder.

Once the weather was warmer in the summer, it was time to experiment again. I took a sheet of the warped celluloid, sandwiched it between glass and set it out in the sun over concrete for a several hours. The glass got quite hot (luckily no flames this time). When I opened the glass, the celluloid sheet was flat as a pancake so I thought "success" but is it cooled, it reverted back to its warped-as-a-potato-chip shape. Apparently heating the material does not relieve the internal stresses in the material.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    zhivago likes this.