73 SG truss rod cover

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Synthesizer29, Aug 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Synthesizer29

Synthesizer29 New Member

Hello I have a 73 SG with (SG) on the truss rod cover. Was just wondering if it’s era correct or not . I have not seen any other 73’ with it.. also it has top hat knobs?!? Any input??

Attached Files:

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Yes, it's on the front, right next to the control knobs.

As for the trc and knobs, I don't think they're original, judging by the publicity shots from that era, as seen here. I'm not sure when the 'S-G' trc design dates from, I've seen it before but by the end of the 70's they were fitting covers with 'SG', which is more common. I'm sure someone here will know. :)

EDIT: Just had a quick look at the Tony Bacon book - there's a '74 with an S-G trc, but it still has speed knobs, rather than top hats.

3. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I have a '74 Standard that has a blank TRC and speed knobs. Both of which I'm pretty sure are original. Not to say it might have been different in '73.

4. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

By chance have you looked at the pot codes? I think what you have there might actually be a '74-'75.

My rational is that in those years the bridge pickup was moved closer to the bridge, like it is with yours. Also, the truss rod cover is ear correct for from roughly '74-'79. I think you're right that a '73 wouldn't have that truss rod cover like that. That's another reason I'm wondering if it could be a '74-'75. I think the knobs may have been replaced.

I have a '74 and had a '75. Both look(ed) identical to yours with the exception of the knobs (and before I replaced the bridge on the '74).

Regardless of what year you have, yours looks great.

Here's my '74, (I replaced the harmonica bridge)

74.png

Here's two shots of the '75 before it was sold:
    75headstock.png 75body.png

5. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

After seeing all 3 of these, I'm wondering when the next binding started. My '74 doesn't have a bound neck and has an ebony board. I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure the pot codes were early '74.

6. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

SG Standards produced between mid 73 and 75 generally didn't have neck binding, but they did have ebony boards. Assuming the OP's S-G truss rod cover to be original, I have no doubt it is, I would have guessed this guitar to be a late 75 model at which time the binding with rosewood boards was re-instated and S-G branded truss rod cover adopted. The knobs are out of character (speed knobs being the standard), but some just prefer top-hats.