84 SG standard stock 330k volume 100k tone pots to muddy...500k too bright.Sugestions?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by TSB, Nov 21, 2021.

1. TSB

TSB New Member

I have a 1984 Gibson SG standard that came with tarback pickups 330k volume pot and 100K tone pot... This combination is just too muddy... I replaced them with 500K volume and tone pots and it's too bright.. Currently have a .27 Sprague Black Beauty as capacitor.. Any suggestions?

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

It's only natural for it to sound brighter with the changes you made.

If the Tarback is a bright or shrill pup by design, then a 300K volume pot, 500K tone pot with 0.022 uf cap would be a good starting point.

Do you have other guitars to compare it with?

You could also turn the treble and presence down on the amp or if using an EQ attenuate the higher frequencies in the 3-4 kHz range.

It's easier to remove brightness than to add what is not there to begin with.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  3. TSB

TSB New Member

Yes I have many Gibson's and other SGs..
    This guitar was my very first Gibson and I got it brand new in 1984 when I was 14... I've tried about 10 different Gibson pickups... eventually settling back on the original Tarbacks... I really don't use the neck pickup so that's not really a concern . Just trying to dial in this bridge pickup... I will try your suggestion see how that works

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

Drop your tone pots to 250K with the 500K Volume and hear that.

Norton likes this.
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I believe that if you've got 500k volume and tone pots in that guitar now
    you should be good to go.

Just use your tone controls. Also, if you haven't been using your neck pickup and you think your bridge p'up is too bright, just use your guitar's controls to mix in some of the neck pickup and round out the tone.

Another simple idea is to get an EQ pedal and put that in your f/x loop, or put it before
    the amp. Cheaper than many other fixes, including replacing p'ups.

DrBGood and Go Nigel Go like this.
  6. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

https://www.eio.com/products/elenco...MI_KHGzvy39AIVR0KGCh3eQQFUEAQYBSABEgJci_D_BwE

https://www.parts-express.com/Elenc...MI_KHGzvy39AIVR0KGCh3eQQFUEAQYBCABEgK_q_D_BwE

Buy 2 each of these things and temporarily wire them up to your guitar instead of the tone pots and caps.

Then mess around with all the different possible combinations of values until you stumble upon perfection.

An adventurous inventor could build everything into one box then have a detachable connector and jumper plug that gets hard wired into the guitar for the guitar player that has everything.

The "Guitar Tone-Master " kit could go for a few hundred bucks with an easily doubling profit margin.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I have to ask ... did you try adjusting your pickups height ? Any bridge pickup to close to strings, whatever the mods you do around it, will sound shrill.

8. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Go for the bright 500k option and use the tone controls on your amp to bring it back to where you like it. Starting with more and cutting back is always better than starting with not enough and trying to recover it.

Norton likes this.