'89 SG G-310 upgrades

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Hi all,

After having the guitar refretted (and the luthier did a great job) it's time to think about the electronicals....

Decided I'm going to remove the originals in one (minus pickups) and keep together. Tracked down a loaded 310 body to provide a pickguard and possibly the switch if it's still serviceable, so have the opportunity to build a full harness from scratch.

After a bit of reading up (and a lot of surprise at the sheer amount of options out there) I'm leaning towards 50's wiring connections, but the bewildering array of pots and caps has my head reeling....

In my day, you went to Maplins for a 500k pot and they had one type... if you were lucky it was fairly close to 500k! (Yes, I'm that ancient!)

So, I thought I'd access the ESG Hivemind and see what you folks could come up with?

I'm prepared to try several different cap types to find a nice tone, and maybe even swap pots a few times - no stranger to soldering - not after a specific tone as such, just something that will give a good basis for feeding in to various amps & hopefully some pedals in the future?

Currently have a Blackstar ID 10, but thinking of trading up to their HT-1 / HT-5 for some valve goodness, so as long as it would work with those, I'm open to persuasion, suggestion and outright bullying! :D

(Stands back for the rush of knowledge...)

Cheers,

Bob

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Ebay is gonna be your friend, if you're wanting to build it yourself.
Bourns, or CTS pots, some people have a preference. Bourns are gonna be less expensive, with no discernible difference in quality.
Here's a decent place to start, they have everything you'll need, & a fair price.
http://stores.ebay.com/THE-ART-of-TONE

I'm sure there will be other suggestions to follow, there are others here with more knowledge than myself.

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Thanks DPaulcustom, might have to look on the UK store first though, shipping from the USA could add a bit to the total cost...
Yea, that could drive the price up a bit.
I'll defer to someone on your side of the water.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Just suggestions. I've explained my thing about tolerances so these shouldn't be shocking.

Pots: 525k 5% from Art of Tone
The set I bought was 530, 521, 509, 509. (NV, BV, T, T)

Caps: Mallory 150 .022uf 5%
Dirt cheap, axial leads help with soldering (no leg spreading). I have a set that I bought intending to swap in to my G400, but I might never bring myself to do it now. Spare you the story, moving on...

Switch: Switchcraft
Short or L ought to be fine. I had a short Epi copy, so I went for the L just for the "L" of it.

Output Jack: I'm of mixed minds on this one. Switchcraft is bottom line the standard here, but I've been checking out Pure Tone jacks of late and I may just be feeling froggy about them. Might be snake oil, might be awesome, either way fairly cheap and pretty simple swap back. Of course someone's gonna say that it was good enough in 1878 blah blah :p

Wires: Are you planning on shielding? If so, any good quality wire will do. Hell, you can use lamp cord! Electrons don't care!
If not, old school braided shield wire (Gavitt is a brand) is a good choice.

Either way, a nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Looks like there's a 'standard mod' out there these days!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282150795517

Takes all the fun out of tracking down the parts though... :hmm: and maybe finding something a bit different too.

Will see what's available from your list over here in the UK Raiyn, will post UK links if I find them, might help someone else down the line.

Half the fun is seeing what's out there :D

Would like to try shielding the cavities, just for the experience if nothing else! So shielded wire shouldn't be necessary, might go braided covered seeing as it looks nice :smile:

Plenty of food for thought there...think I'm going to enjoy the project - I'm guessing I should post pics as I go? Or has it been done to death already? :shock:

Bob

Raiyn

Reaction score
Looks like there's a 'standard mod' out there these days!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282150795517

Takes all the fun out of tracking down the parts though... :hmm: and maybe finding something a bit different too.
Kits are a shortcut, sure. I find I'm happier when I hand select my parts, regardless of the project.
Will see what's available from your list over here in the UK Raiyn, will post UK links if I find them, might help someone else down the line.

Half the fun is seeing what's out there :D
Indeed. I went with eBay to make things a bit easier for you to search. FWIW I ended up finding a deal on those Pure Tone jacks. 6 for about the price of two.
f8f1e6156a4596ae3c15fee0284e23bc-970-80.jpg

Would like to try shielding the cavities, just for the experience if nothing else! So shielded wire shouldn't be necessary, might go braided covered seeing as it looks nice :smile:
Perhaps I'm an odd duck, but I rather enjoyed shielding my axe. I used a copper tape with a conductive adhesive to make my life easier.

Plenty of food for thought there...think I'm going to enjoy the project - I'm guessing I should post pics as I go? Or has it been done to death already? :shock:

Bob
The more, the merrier. :cheers:

Last edited:

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Like the look of those pure tone connectors, solid...

Bought a new soldering iron stand today, and have some 63/37 solder coming via Amazon, and some G400 pickups from a forum member (Thanks Raiyn) so it's all systems go.

Have a donor body to supply a pickguard and switch...

IMG_0180.JPG

And will probably just swap the whole harness for now, and then replace it with a new one when I've chosen the components.

More pics soon when I start dismantling the '89 and readying it for the transplant :smile:

Bob

Raiyn

Reaction score
Like the look of those pure tone connectors, solid...

Bought a new soldering iron stand today, and have some 63/37 solder coming via Amazon, and some G400 pickups from a forum member (Thanks Raiyn) so it's all systems go.

Have a donor body to supply a pickguard and switch...

View attachment 25354

And will probably just swap the whole harness for now, and then replace it with a new one when I've chosen the components.

More pics soon when I start dismantling the '89 and readying it for the transplant :smile:

Bob
No problem Scooter. :)

Good choice on the 63/37, it's eutectic properties will make the soldering job a bit easier. Good enough for NASA, good enough for me.

As for the controls, I'd suggest ditching the metric stuff. While you'd need to enlarge the holes a bit, it's well worth it. I touch on the process in my build thread.
control-holes-jpg.21749

Holes to ream.. Went pretty easy, I've got a Harbor Freight reamer I bought for this and a step drill bit with a 3/8" step that I used in a bit driver. I just used a washer from one of the new pots and taped the reamer off slightly behind that. I followed up with the step bit.
I should note, that the step bit was used in a bit-type screwdriver operated by hand. It was only used to square the sides of the hole following careful reaming.

It's easy enough, but use caution and don't force it.
square-peg.jpg

This is going to be a fun project, I think you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Me too! Not sure about any non-reversible alterations to the '89 though - at least not without a bit of practice first!

Want to keep the '89 So that I can put it back to standard if necessary - at least for the time being, but thanks for the advice, have a feeling this won't be my last project! :smile:

Raiyn

Reaction score
Me too! Not sure about any non-reversible alterations to the '89 though - at least not without a bit of practice first!

Want to keep the '89 So that I can put it back to standard if necessary - at least for the time being, but thanks for the advice, have a feeling this won't be my last project! :smile:
Like I said, so long as you don't go ham on it you should be fine. It'd be a good "leave in place" upgrade that the (nonexistent) Epi Corksniffers wouldn't balk at. YMMV

Speaking of Ham, I randomly stumbled upon this:
just-delicious-things_c_4892491.webp

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Oh no, am I becoming an 'Epi Corksniffer'? :shock: Hope it's not to late...

If the pots and switches need the holes enlarging, like you say, would certainly be a worthwhile upgrade over 27 year old stuff...

Having removed the pickguard, there's only one set of holes - and typically they don't align with the newer pickguard holes - so looks like I'll be having a go at making one myself!

Determined to do a better job than the previous replacer though, that's definitely a ham job - comparison with the later one shows the cut outs for the pickups aren't square to the strings! :facepalm:

By the way, can't see that image you posted :(...?

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Well, at least the body under the pickguard isn't mutilated,

IMG_0182.JPG

only one set of holes, so decided to have a go at making my own pickguard.

Can't do a worse job than the one that was on it!... I hope :shock:

IMG_0189.JPG

Think they might have been in a hurry! Luckily, I have the luxury of having other guitars to play, so there's no rush.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Nice one, Cheers Raiyn! Will see if I can print their template and check it against the guitar, I know holes from later ones don't come close, so will be interesting to see how it compares....

Raiyn

Reaction score
Nice one, Cheers Raiyn! Will see if I can print their template and check it against the guitar, I know holes from later ones don't come close, so will be interesting to see how it compares....
If nothing else, you might contact them and fill them in on your situation.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
The story continues, had a package today...

IMG_0265.PNG

What could it be... :hmm:

IMG_0266.JPG

Yep, my ESG Recycled pickups have arrived from across the pond. Again, many thanks to Raiyn for his trouble in packing them up and sending them over, they'll be fitted in once I get the new pickguard done (have 2 shiny reasons to do it now!)

I daresay they'll get replaced at some future time, and as promised, when I do, I'll be passing them on to someone on the forum, probably a n00b like me!

In the meantime, they'll be helping to give a new lease of life to the old girl :D

Latest posts