A problem with pup switch

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Cranex, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Cranex

Cranex New Member

So I found a weird thing about my new sg: when the pickup selector is in the middle position, the bridge mic isn't on? I guess I will have to call the store I bought it from tomorrow... A bit disappointing :(

2. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Flick it back and forth rapidly a few times. Worth a try.

3. Cranex

Cranex New Member

Didn't work.

4. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I would suggest make sure your volume is up on the bridge pickup, but you say the bridge pickup is working when the switch is selected to that pickup.

So the bridge pickup is not working when selector switch is in middle. Seems like a wiring connection went afoul. Guitar should, obviously, not have been sold in that condition. Nor bought. Did you try out the guitar? Did it work properly when you tried it out?

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

That's odd, if the bridge pickup works on it's own then the wiring should be fine. There must be an issue with the switch. If it's the open style one then have a look at it from inside while flipping it back and forth and see if there's something stopping the bridge contact from connecting when in the middle position. You might be able to fix it easily and prevent having to go back to the shop.

6. Cranex

Cranex New Member

I tried it out and spent quite a lot of time checking it out, but I guess this is something that didn't occur to me as I haven't owned an sg before; my other guitar is a strat and there you either have the volume on or off, these two volume knobs is what threw me off. I'll call the shop before opening up anything, I don't want to void the warranty (two years luckily).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Set both volume and both tone controls to 10.
    With selector switch to middle position see what happens.

When in middle position, if either the neck or bridge volume control is set to 0, there should be no sound.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Cranex likes this.
  8. Cranex

Cranex New Member

Yeah that's the thing, with the switch in the middle, neck pickup 0 and bridge pickup 10, there is no sound.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  9. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

That sounds normal to me. :dude:

10. Cranex

Cranex New Member

So yeah..did some actual Googleing about it and I guess it's normal? The pups are wired that way? Feel stupid now :) but it isn't actually very intuitive is it?

11. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

12. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Before the COvid hit I found a brand new Les Paul at local GC with the same problem. Can't remember now which pup didn't work But that's just ridiculous. This one . One pup flat didn't work. I've been playing Gibson for 40 years I know how they are wired. The "Tech" at GC said we'll have to send that one back to Gibson. Get out a screwdriver, open the back and fix it. You're a tech, aren't you?

13. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The problem with this mod is that it dulls the pickup sound horribly as you turn the volume down. But provided you only work near the top of the volume control, it has great benefits, particularly if you have phase-reversed one pickup.

14. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

From what you described in original post, I had a feeling there was nothing wrong with the switch and that you had one of the volume controls set to 0.

Cranex likes this.
  15. Cranex

Cranex New Member

Yeah... So it's just a feature :)

cerebral gasket likes this.
  16. donepearce

There are no bugs. They are features that will no longer be supported at the next release.

DrBGood likes this.
  17. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Thats not normal, the toggle switches between pickups and in the middle is both pickups. Put the switch in the middle and tap on each pickup gently with something metal, do you hear the tapping in both pickups?

18. donepearce

Turns out it was OK. If you turn one volume to zero, everything goes quiet in middle position. That's normal.

chilipeppermaniac and SGBreadfan like this.
  19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

On my Riviera P93, there are three toggle positions, three volume controls and a master tone. The middle pickup is always engaged, eliminating hum. The middle switch position allows for huge variety by adjusting all three volumes and the tone.

20. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

The middle position is for cowards anyway so no big deal and clearly of no use in Finland.. But seriously, I find it handy because when you do the kill switch action you go from treble to middle instead of middle to to rhythm.