A quick reality check...

shamu1

Reaction score
If you ever find yourself getting worked up, trying to find things to complain about your guitar, obsessing about how stock pickups suck, etc., etc., just watch this video for a reality check:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-ebiCuVpo[/ame]

You think Big Joe Williams gave a rat's ass if his guitar had 57 Classics in it? He was a great reminder to us all that it's all about the MUSIC and PLAYING the guitar.

Rowdymoon

Reaction score
....with the great willie Dixon as well, nice stuff....how about some more of the masters 2 of many of my personal favs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyIquE0izAg"]Charley Patton - Spoonful Blues (Delta Blues 1929) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_o4omd8T5c[/ame]

maddog53

Reaction score
If you ever find yourself getting worked up, trying to find things to complain about your guitar, obsessing about how stock pickups suck, etc., etc., just watch this video for a reality check:

You think Big Joe Williams gave a rat's ass if his guitar had 57 Classics in it? He was a great reminder to us all that it's all about the MUSIC and PLAYING the guitar.

Ain't THAT the TRUTH, Brother!!!!

Biddlin

Reaction score

Big Joe Williams She Left Me A Mule To Ride 1966 mpg - YouTube

Like the label says,
biddlin-albums-98-workhorse-picture1330-biddlins-butthurt-balm.jpg

Playing is my cure for damned near everything!:laugh2:
;>)/

AC 30

Reaction score

Big Joe Williams She Left Me A Mule To Ride 1966 mpg - YouTube

That was great! I haven't seen that clip thanks for posting!

shamu1

Reaction score

Col Mustard

Reaction score
many of those guys couldn't afford new strings, so they wrapped the whole string around the peg. then if it broke, they could unwrap some and tie it back on.

me, I buy strings in packs of ten when they go onsale, and since my guitars rarely break strings (now) I seem to take them off and put them on in sets. But I think about that fact every time I do. Those guys who could not afford the best of anything, made great music on Stella guitars, or Sears guitars, or a Harmony if they got lucky with The Numbers.

so yea, lucky us. It's a blessing to be able to afford a few hundred bucks for a used
Epiphone, the way we get paid. Me, I'm blessed with excellent instruments... the kind that inspire awe in the rare audience member who comes up during the break to see what the heck I was playing. And just hearing these old bluesmen makes me feel very grateful for each gig I've managed to do, and each recording, and each audience member who pays something to get in.

a fine reality check. thanks for posting.

shamu1

Reaction score
Forest....trees. Shanmu forest/trees:)

Glad you posted here.really enjoyed all those clips. :thumb:

Thanks bro. Seriously, a couple of days ago, I'd posted a thread in MylesPaul.com about how I installed chrome mounting rings on my LPJ. Shortly after posting that, I saw this Big Joe video on YouTube, and I thought, "Man, now THIS is what it's really all about - playing the guitar well, no bullshit about having the fanciest or most expensive guitar". Big Joe probably would have thought my post about the mounting rings was stupid (even though he was quite the modder himself).

shamu1

Reaction score
many of those guys couldn't afford new strings, so they wrapped the whole string around the peg. then if it broke, they could unwrap some and tie it back on.

me, I buy strings in packs of ten when they go onsale, and since my guitars rarely break strings (now) I seem to take them off and put them on in sets. But I think about that fact every time I do. Those guys who could not afford the best of anything, made great music on Stella guitars, or Sears guitars, or a Harmony if they got lucky with The Numbers.

so yea, lucky us. It's a blessing to be able to afford a few hundred bucks for a used
Epiphone, the way we get paid. Me, I'm blessed with excellent instruments... the kind that inspire awe in the rare audience member who comes up during the break to see what the heck I was playing. And just hearing these old bluesmen makes me feel very grateful for each gig I've managed to do, and each recording, and each audience member who pays something to get in.

a fine reality check. thanks for posting.

Wow, on this site I get people thanking me for this post, meanwhile I'm getting a ton of s**t on MyLesPaul for posting the exact same thing. They need the reality check more than anyone.

eS.G.

Reaction score
My first Electric was a Harmony L.P. copy bought from...........yep SEARS catalog. Good times. :-) Wish I still had that little lump.
Agreed great reality check.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
in those days, guitarists were just beginning to expand the limits
of the possible. I watched Big Joe play, he was playing finger style
with no picks I believe. And he had an early pickup attached to his
soundhole, which was cutting edge at that time.

So it's hard to say what any of the old timers would do if they could
figure out how to be a musician in the world we have now. Many of
them were gearheads, just like me and thee. Many of them were too
stoned to deal with anything, and died young.

Many of them were brilliant in their own ways, just like a lot of us around
here. So they might have been able to make the jump, and go down to GC
and make excellent choices (as long as Biddlin's paying the bill...)

Give Big Joe a Gibson ES-335 and a Fender Deluxe amp and about four carefully
chosen pedals, (Biddlin's budget: $4000) and I'll bet he'd figure it out in a hurry
and lay a few licks on an unsuspecting world. Then Biddlin might make back
his investment times ten. (if he got to make a percentage on the tour)

Give Big Joe's bass player a Fender Precison bass, and a month to get over the
Culture Shock, and together they might wake that drummer
up and get him to take his shirt off and hit it.

Isn't this a movie we'd all like to see? Get Michael J Fox to get the time
machine again and go bring Big Joe back to the future, as long as he
gets a date with Peggy Sue.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Wait, wait.....all I heard was we are all heading to GC and "Biddlin is buyin'"!!!!
WOOHOO!!! When we leaving I call SHOTGUN! :shock::dude::cheers:
I can no other answer make, but:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zWrxlcfJ3Q]Duane & Gregg Allman / Nobody Knows You When You're Down Out - YouTube[/ame]

Your impoverished servt.
;>)/

maddog53

Reaction score
All these ^^^^ posts of respect, admiration, and appreciation!!!!! I hope you guys realize how respectfully kind this forum is.

It's like a breath of fresh air after mucking thru the negativity most of the other forums exhibit....

The only other forum that parallels this is the Dr Z Amp forum where I've posted a few thousand times. This SG haven is likewise a similar oasis of kindness..... Bless all yer little pointy heads ....and pointy guitars :)

likea45

Reaction score
I didn't grow up with any of these blues players as a kid...I'm much younger and bred on the rock super-guitarists of the 80s & 90s. Ive devoted the better part of my life thus far to music. I'm gonna take heat for this but I find blues to be a bit sloppy and loose..something that's cool for that style of play but nothing that's never interested me as a player (not that I don't respect it). People used to walk or ride horses everywhere. Times change and so does music.

Last edited:

Biddlin

Reaction score
Perhaps in your youth, you've failed to distinguish "loose" from "sloppy."
;>)/

Latest posts