A "Tail" of Two Monkeys

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Tobacco Worm, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Ok, we are aware of the Digitech Bad Monkey right? I mean me and Black have been spouting off about them for a bit now. But, what's better than a Bad Monkey? Yup, you guesed it, TWO Bad Monkeys!:)

My new one arrived about an hour ago. I had my board all set for the second unit and was in and going at under a minute. Now the new one is MIC and is a bit darker in color than the old USA model I've had for ages. OK, but how does the new unit compare to the old? Doing an A/B with them set the same, well, they were the same. No difference between them. Different decade and different plant made no difference in their tone and drive. Digitech is consistant I gotta give 'em that.

My plan was to set the two up with one as a stand alone OD pedal for that great mild and smooth distortion that they give. And the other was to be set with it slightly above unity with just a hint of gain. A booster pedal. With the booster at the end of the dirt chain, I had the RAT, Joyo UD, old BM, in front. (My three personal favorite dirt boxes of all time)

The above was then run though my very clean playing Fender Frontman 25R with the Jensen Falcon speaker. Delightful SS amp that still amazes me. I already had my LP Custom out so I went with it. Everything was as normal with the first three. RAT singing with tones, Joyo with grunt and some grit, and the old BM with smooth tube-like OD...So far, so normal...

Then with the old BM going with a great blues tone, I stepped on the new BM Booster. The jump in the OD was there. Just as I thought it would be, but with greater gain and yet still held all the clairity from before. A real bump in the output with no fizz or noise. So I went further with the RAT and the Booster Monkey. WOW! The RAT took off like it was shot from a cannon! Went from a Satch-like sweet singing drive to something akin to an incomming round! Remarkable boost in drive. Similar results with the Joyo UD and the Booster Monkey. Went from a Skinnard type grunt and grind to something just short of Sonic Southern Meltdown!

So, if one needs a decent booster that can also do a good job on it's own as a fine mild OD pedal, the Bad Monkey is a great fill for the job and at under $50 delivered to the door, how can you loose? I am really glad I went for a second Bad Monkey. It was worth the coin that I was going to use to eat out some this month, but I don't mind dining in. Now I can entertain myself with some more overdriven sonic bombasts while I munch away on what I fix.

One special note: Now with the addition of yet another dirt pedal to the many that are already here, my cats have resolved to have me committed as soon as they can draft the papers to submit to the authorities. They may just be able to get enough signatures to pull it off, so if I disappear for a bit, I got locked up in the asylum. But fear not, they can't contain an old Ranger too long. I'll escape and return to play more.:naughty:

Well, that's the Tail of Two Monkeys. Thanks for listening. I'm going back to cranking out some mayhem and run my cats up the walls and into the ozone!!

Wade

dbb and BlackSG91 like this.
  2. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

And a Tale of Two Rhinos

Sounds cool Wade. I kinda do the same thing you do with 2 green rhino overdrive Pedals. Sure I could just use a boost but much like you pointed out, 2 versatile drive pedals can be sooo much more fun!

[​IMG]
    As you can see the Rhino has a bunch of adjustments and a variable dynamic range.

Funny thing is that I bought them almost a year apart and I perceive one as sounding smooth and one able to sound edgier. The smooth one is great for fattening up the signal. (that 100Hz knob can really put some thump into the low end). I end up using it with the drive almost off and it sounds absolutely wonderful!

Oh if it wasn't for the little things in life that brings us guitar players such joy why, I just hate to think of life without them. Thanks for reminding me of how much extra we got on the average Joe that never gets to experience such things. Food for thought anyways.

BlackSG91, Tobacco Worm and frankd like this.
  3. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Sounds like your havin a party. I know this pedal has its fans.
    I may try one eventualy but seeing as I just got 4 joyos it will be awhile
    i wll give my 02 on the joyos here directly.
    frankd

BlackSG91 likes this.
  4. Tobacco Worm

It's funny in a way. When I started playing back in the early 60's there were about 5 or 6 pedals around. I never had a pedal until the mid 70's. Then off and on just a few until the late 80's. Then I went nuts with pedals. I bought, sold, traded, and built tons of 'em! I was out of control by the time the new century came. There were rumors that I was being readied for the rubber room as I had so many pedals that it took a box the size of a Twin to hold 'em all.

But now I have maybe a dozen dirt boxes, and 4 or 5 others for modulation (chorus, tremolo, delay and such) But ya know, I've NEVER spent over $100 on ANY pedal I ever had or have. Guess that's why I love the Digitech's basic line, The RAT, the Joyo's, and Biyangs. Fantastic pedals all and none cost over $80. I sure am a cheap old fart huh?

Barry, you're right about the little things bringing us joy. I was in the "dumps" so to speak for a bit, then one new pedal in the mix. Total sonic hardcore headbangin', thunder thumpin', monster mash tones and I'm on top of the world!:thumb: Though I did see two of my cats try to open the gun cabinet so they could shoot me to make me stop.:naughty:

Frank, those Joyo's you have are great pedals. I know you have fun with them and it'll be a while before you ever get bored with any of them. I've got the UD set for real deep toned hard drive that sounds like a cross between Freightliner's jake break and a B 52 on a take off roll... Brutal drive with an edge.... Awsome as the young ones say....

Ok, back to making sonic bombasts!:wave:

Wade,
    the self-proclaimed Emperor of Economic Dirt boxes on 10, no make that 11!!

BlackSG91 likes this.
  5. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

Wow, two Bad Monkeys...now that's a barrel of Bad Monkeys!:laugh2: That's a real good idea having a second BM in the mix because the Bad Monkey alone doesn't provide the searing tube distortion unless of coarse you add another pedal like in this situation. The Bad Monkey has a great overall distortion or overdrive sound. I find it to have the most versatile tones so it's my go-to pedal period! But adding other distortion pedal with it just gives it more depth. I've already experimented with an old pedal that I've had for over 20 years now and it was my first distortion pedal. It's an Ibanez Metal Screamer and it's actually a real good pedal for that 80's hair-metal sound. It's even has a pink label for that Hollywood Metal look. Anyway, I paired it up with the Bad Monkey and boom...the BM made the distortion more 3-dimensional. It was like the BM added depth to the sound. The Metal Screamer is a straightforward distortion sound, but a bit one-dimensional. The BM made it more alive and as Tobacco mentioned, it still maintained a clear sound without crapping out. The BM makes a great booster and overdrive pedal all-in-one.

My next purchase, since it's inspired by the Bad Monkey, is the Screamin' Blues by Digitech. The same price as the Bad Monkey and the same four control knobs which I love. This pedal does what it says and imagine it paired up with the BM. Now that's total distortion right there. I'm thoroughly impressed by Digitech and their sturdy line of pedals. Congratulations to Wade on his second Monkey! I'm still having a honeymoon with mine and my Fender Twin Reverb loves this pedal. But it makes it's tubes just a bit too hot underneath the collar. Wait until the Screamin' Blues comes aboard as the Bad Monkey's new playmate. My cat Morris is going to be finding a new hiding spot. ;)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  6. BlackSG91

Now that's one sexy looking pedal, Barry, from Catskill Mountains. I love the two extra control knobs for that added ultimate tone shaping. How much do these pedals usually go for? I love the look and it seems pretty sturdy and durable. If you ever get tired of it, let me know and I will take it off your hands for you. I hate to see you burdened. :hmm::naughty:

[​IMG]

7. Tobacco Worm

I had mentioned before that I had demo'ed the Digitech Hot Head and found it a bit much. Well I had messed up on the name of the pedal I tested. It was the Hot Rod that I tested out and didn't really warm up to. I got the two names mixed up when I was talking about the Hot Head. That one, the Hot Head, is like a warmer version of the Bad Monkey. More drive and such but still has good clear tone. Sorry for the mixup. Guess getting old makes me forgetful! Hope ya'll forgive me on the slip. The Hot Head is a good pedal and is analog, as is the Bad Monkey and the Screamin' Blues. The Hot Rod is digital morph stuff and very different.

Ok, oldman slipping up disclaimer/retraction made....:o

And yes, I'm having the time of my life with "the dueling monks". It's like Kung Fu Theater around here!:run:

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program already in progress......

Wade...

BlackSG91 likes this.
  8. Relic61

Hey, it looks like this bad monkey has da blues man!

[​IMG]

Hmmm, maybe he needs a new pedal?? I'd keep him away from a Blue Tube or anything with Blues or Blue in the name period! He makes me think of that silly glow in the dark cat!

[​IMG]

Silly *****, the dark is for hiding, not glowing! At least that Bad Blue Monkey doesnt have one of these bad monkey backsides.

[​IMG]

And while I was feeling sorry for stincking up the thread with bad monkey butts, I found this one bad monkey that could make his smell rainbow fresh.

[​IMG]

Sorry guys. Smell the rainbow. And please laugh.
    Animals are funny.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  9. Tobacco Worm

Barry,

You don't get out much do ya? :hmm:

Now I'll never be able look at my two Bad Monkey pedals the same ever again!! I need therapy now....:ohno::laugh2:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  10. Relic61

Sorry bud. There's almost no ass-cuse for that! I blame Skittles and their catch the rainbow commercials.

Honestly I came across the pic on a 'monkey' search and it made me laugh. Thought we all could use one. (A laugh, not a rainbow shootin bad monkey)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programing. If thats still possible. Thanks for being so understanding. Winter is almost over up here. Yea!

BlackSG91 likes this.
  11. Tobacco Worm

:lol:

I got so giggily with that one I almost lost my poor little crippled cat off my lap! Odd in that her name is Monk(ey) but no relation to those with rainbows blowing in the air though... Poor thing got her spine shattered a few months ago and the vet said he'd do more damage than good if he went in to fix it. She has almost on control over her hindlegs and walks worse than a drunken sailor... But Monk is the only one that likes my guitar playing... It's that or she just can't get away fast enough anymore!:)

The regular program went off the air with the last blast from that rainbow monkey! I think it killed the TV....

BlackSG91 likes this.
  12. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Rainbow-shooting monkeys aside...

Wade, as a connoisseur of the value pedal, have you ever tried any Mooer pedals? They're nice and cheap and tiny and they have quite a range. A quick Google search brings up mostly UK pages, but there are some on ebay too. Their website does say they have distributors in the US, although annoyingly don't say which ones.

Here is a link to the ones sold at Andertons:

Clickme!

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Man, I might have to try one of those Monkey pedals!

14. Tobacco Worm

David,

They're highly recommended, but I'd avoid the "Rainbow Mod" if I could. :shock:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  15. BlackSG91

Hey, I just found the Hot Rod in my little book that came with the Bad Monkey pedal. It's a little book or a mini-encyclopedia of tones. The Hot Rod is a rock distortion that provides a wide range of rock distortions. It has a 'morph' control knob that allows you to hear various distortion sounds like the ProCo RAT, Boss DS-1 to the Arbiter Fuzz Face and lots of unique in-between rock distortion sounds.

The Hot Head is an analog distortion that is a multi-purpose pedal for any style music. While the Bad Monkey is an analog tube overdrive, the Hot Head (analog distortion) according to Tobacco is a warmer version of the BM. I'll definitely have to check out this pedal in the store and A/B it with a BM just to hear the differences, which are all good. Thanks for the update, Wade. ;)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  16. Tobacco Worm

"A connoisseur of the value pedal" , Miss Heket, I've been called many things in my time, but never that. It's so refreshing to see some true class here among the rest of us heathens!! That's one of the many reasons you're so special to this bunch of guitar playing lunatics. You lend us a touch of style and class. Though we're a rowdy lot, we mean well and our hearts are in the right place.:)

Now as to the pedals you sopke of. No, I've never tried any Mooer pedals? Seen them in a few adds and on Amazon.com I think, but not in the flesh so to speak. Next time I'm in the "Big City", (Dallas) I'll try to give them a look at one of the major shops there. Perhaps they may have a few. I will look into them as they permit themselves for inspection. Thanks for pointing them out...

Wade

Relic61 and Heket like this.
  17. BlackSG91

Don't try, just buy the BM pedal, Dave! That's a direct order or we are all going to steal the hub-caps off your car. I'm serious!!! :hmm::naughty:

[​IMG]

18. BlackSG91

Barry, from way up there in Catskill Mountains, you are severely & extremely crazy!!! Here's some Rainbow Butt Monkeys for ya! BTW they are now called Finger Eleven.:thumb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0lVjky2roU]Rainbow Butt Monkeys - Circles ( finger eleven ) - YouTube[/ame]

___________________________________________[​IMG]

19. Slim Guitar

Slim Guitar Member

I like my "Screamin Blues" pedal, I prefer its sound to my Boss "Blues Driver" - I think of it as a supercharged Bad Monkey.
    I don't know if my one is a bit dodgy (bought cheap secondhand !) but it loves batteries, most of the time I plug it in.

BlackSG91 and Tobacco Worm like this.
  20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Geez, I thought I liked a lotta distortion, but you guys are twisted . I respect that .
    Biddlin ;>)/

BlackSG91 likes this.