A "Tail" of Two Monkeys

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Tobacco Worm, Apr 11, 2013.

1. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

What makes you say twisted? I don't understand? :hmm:

[​IMG]

2. BlackSG91

I think that's the best way to describe the Screamin' Blues pedal. I bet this paired up with a Bad Monkey would be the ultimate in meltdown distortion. ;) Here's a demo I really like and I think I have my mind made up on this juicy little box.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N00yr6BzCkA]Digitech Screamin Blues distortion overdrive guitar effects pedal demo w SG & Jaguar Jr amp - YouTube[/ame]

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

OK, this is quite an odd thread...but -

If I'm looking for the sweetest smoothest fusion violin-like tone, particularly suited to a neck pickup, volume pedal and delay, which of all the pedals mentioned above would get that sound the easiest?

BlackSG91 likes this.
  4. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

David, that's an easy one. Your basic ProCo RAT. With the Filter at better than 2 o'clock and the Distortion up around 3 o'clock and you have all the smooth sweet singing tones you ever heard. Never had another pedal that could pull that off that well and that easy. Works with bottle jobs and trannys amps with ease.....

Wade

BlackSG91 likes this.
  5. BlackSG91

I would go either the Hot Head or the Bad Monkey. Tobacco mentioned the Hot Head is a bit warmer than the BM. ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

1) Bad Monkey - Tube Overdrive 00:10
    2) Screamin' Blues - Overdrive/Distortion 00:46
    3) Tone Driver - Overdrive 01:30
    4) Hot Rod - Rock Distortion 02:00
    5) Hot Head - Overdrive 02:30
    6) Grunge - Distortion 03:01
    7) Metal Master - Metal Distortion 03:42
    8) Death Metal - Metal Distortion 04:26

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktTue7AwoLU]Eight Digitech Distortion / Overdrive Pedals DEMO - Digitech Stompboxes Review Demonstration - YouTube[/ame]

6. BlackSG91

...with a Bad Monkey! ;):)

[​IMG]

7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I should have guessed....the RAT.

I'm not kidding....it may be this of some version of the Big Muff.

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  8. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Those Rainbow Butt Monkees rock bro!!

What distortion pedals where they using???

Look at that crazy monkee shootin rainbows out dat butt! Craaazzzeeee!!
    Caution!! Do Not taste the rainbow!

9. Tobacco Worm

Yes sir, David, I've been using a RAT since they first arrived. So I suppose over the years I've learned how to milk different tones from it. I've had a couple of the Muff series in the past and for me, I had a hard time as they clipped so hard and such that I could never get it right with them. I've known others that could do amazing things with a Muff so it may be that I simply understood the RAT better...:hmm:

But with the settings I gave, I can get the most sweet sounding tone that it simply sings. When I play Jeff Beck's Where Were You, that's what I use and it is stunning...Of course I don't play as well as Jeff.:naughty:

Wade

BlackSG91 likes this.
  10. BlackSG91

They are a pretty good band. They remind me of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers for that style of music. They're from Toronto but now they have more success under a different band name. For distortion pedals? They are probably using a Bad Monkey, of course. ;)

Now you got me thinking of the RAT. Especially after the way you described the sound after pairing it up with the Bad Monkey, like the sound of a cannon! I love the way you described that. I have some neighbours that really piss me off. The RAT and BM would be a great way to get revenge, especially 4 a.m. in the morning. ;)

11. Relic61

The bad Monkey and running the shootout scene from Scarface 'on loop' through your sound system should tell the neighbors not to mess with you. Say ello to my little fren!

BlackSG91 and Biddlin like this.
  12. BlackSG91

I just need a special amplifier for this here banjo! :thumb:

[​IMG]

13. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Evert Club has to have a Theme song!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVM8eGBgbeQ]Immortals Fight Scene - Down With The Sickness - YouTube[/ame]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  14. Relic61

Ooo waah a-a-a!

15. Tobacco Worm

Uhhh, I don't get it. Must be since I can't get videos to work huh? :dunno:

But being that as it may, the world of the monkeys goes on...
    Ran two into my FM65R with my trusty Epi Dot Deluxe and it was like something from another world....Monkeys in my archtop!:wow:
    A moment of sonic mayhem to be sure.... I didn't dare add the RAT as I would have surely blown my house up with the sonic bombast!!:ohno:

This monkey moment has been brought to you courtesy of the makers of Rainbow Booty Pop. Remember,
    Rainbow Booty Pop, when you really want to make a statement that will last, use Rainbow Booty Pop.
    Available at your local supermarket and corner stores everywhere, right next to the finger condoms markerted by Biddlin Inc. In fact, buy both for a real party tonight!

BlackSG91, Relic61 and dbb like this.
  16. BlackSG91

You should be ashamed of yourself, Wade! You're making Sylvester all nervous, especially the thought of a Pro Co RAT and a Bad Monkey together. He just moved into a log cabin deep in the woods of East Texas, so you guys are practically neighbours. Look, his nerves are shot!

[​IMG]

Speaking of Pro Co RAT as a side note, here's John Scofield who is one of the premier jazz guitarists of all time, and in his arsenal is a Pro Co RAT. :hmm: I think this is the pedal I would love to get in the future so I can pair it up with my Bad Monkey for the ultimate sonic blast. Last night I played for a good two hours through my Bad Monkey and I'm still impressed by this pedal. It really is a great, all-around overdrive pedal that truly delivers. The wide range of tones still tickles me pink. I'm planning to glue it on my Twin-Reverb. :fingersx:

[​IMG]

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  17. Tobacco Worm

Oh man! That's some funny stuff!!!:laugh2:

I was drinking my coffee, as always, and read the part about gluing your Bad Monkey to your twin! You've heard some guys say that they almost spit stuff all over their computer screen and stuff....well, I did choke some as I was in mid gulp of my coffee when I read that part. My cats looked at me like I was trying to cough up a hairball or something. That just struck me as so damn funny I'm still chuckling over that!

Oh, and Sylvester looks like me when I first get up in the morning. Not worth a hoot until I've had some coffee and a smoke or two! But 'dat puddy cat' has no need to worry though, I'll behave.....sorta.:fingersx:

I use my RAT now mostly for that singing smooth violin tone and use the monkeys and the Joyo UD for the rest of my dirt stuff. Sometimes the Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory (a discontinued unit) for other stuff. That one has 7 different dirt boxes in it. Remarkable for a digital unit, but has some interesting stuff none the less. Lots of tone adjustments. Shucks, my board is covered with distortion boxes! Being a worm, I like DIRT! We worms thrive upon dirt. We play in it all day long. So I guess it's natural that I have a bunch of dirt boxes huh? :hmm:

Thanks for the huge laugh about the gluing bit. That was priceless!

Wade

BlackSG91 likes this.
  18. BlackSG91

Well Wade, you just made my day also!:thumb: I'm glad to bring a smile to yours or anyone's face brother. Poor old Sylvester must be drinking Kicking Horse coffee too. No wonder he looks so wound up. Well, I don't think I would literally glue my Bad Monkey to my Twin, but since the Twin doesn't have a distortion channel, the Bad Monkey has become the official distortion channel of the Twin. They just work so well together! Maybe I could wire the BM into the Twin's circuit so I wouldn't have to worry about replacing batteries no more. :fingersx: Those other pedals you mentioned sound real good also. I've seen a demo of the Joyo UD and I was impressed. It has a nice growling, sweet distortion which sang. You see, you got me addicted to distortion pedals! I would definitely like to get a RAT. Hopefully I see a used rental that I could snag for half the price. I was planning in the past to get the Ibanez TS-9, but the Pro Co sounds like a better option. And speaking of cats, my cat Morris just loves to meow his brains out whenever he gets a chance. That's why I have sleepless nights. But now I get my revenge when he starts up his raucous meows by turning up the level on my Bad Monkey to 11. :dude: Instead of meowing, he says this...

[​IMG]