A Tale of Madness, Hubris and Crib-death

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Ah MAN ! That is horrible ! I imagine both you and the guitar are crushed...

How in the hell could Gibson ship it with no padding? Even Trogly on Youtube has videos on how to pack guitars for shipping.

A case shouldn't need padding, this is just poor case design. It should be snug so that it can't move. It's also possible the shipping company bent it hard enough to twist the entire case.

Hector

Reaction score
A case shouldn't need padding, this is just poor case design. It should be snug so that it can't move. It's also possible the shipping company bent it hard enough to twist the entire case.

I did not mean the case needs padding, but the guitar should have at least some padding added around it in the case to protect it from delivery people dreaming of kicking a conversion (rugby) / field goal (american football).

3bolt79

Reaction score
Wow, that really hurts. Hope you get the upgrade.

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
I did not mean the case needs padding, but the guitar should have at least some padding added around it in the case to protect it from delivery people dreaming of kicking a conversion (rugby) / field goal (american football).
Thinking the same. My Gibby came in a soft case, but the retailer wrapped the headstock in two layers of bubble wrap, and the body in one. Then put Gibson's shipping box, inside another box that used foam to fill the gap between boxes. Kinda hard to believe that Gibson wouldn't do the same even if shipped direct. Being that a human was involved, I'm not gonna fault Gibson as a company, it could have been a new employee not trained correctly. Regardless, I hope everything works out for you and Gibson makes good on this. I know the feeling of dreaming of an instrument you saw a hero play, and the anticipation of finally achieving that dream. Your heart break upon realizing it was broken was palpable. Best of luck Sir.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Thinking the same. My Gibby came in a soft case, but the retailer wrapped the headstock in two layers of bubble wrap, and the body in one. Then put Gibson's shipping box, inside another box that used foam to fill the gap between boxes. Kinda hard to believe that Gibson wouldn't do the same even if shipped direct. Being that a human was involved, I'm not gonna fault Gibson as a company, it could have been a new employee not trained correctly. Regardless, I hope everything works out for you and Gibson makes good on this. I know the feeling of dreaming of an instrument you saw a hero play, and the anticipation of finally achieving that dream. Your heart break upon realizing it was broken was palpable. Best of luck Sir.
Thanks. We will see but first the darn thing has to get to Tennessee before anything else happens. If UPS is consistent probably five days to get there and then if there is a replacement I'll get the guitar, if not, the refund.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score

That's what I meant; the case is designed to protect the guitar. It's supposed to be fitted to the body so that the guitar doesn't move within it. Unless it's a universal case, there shouldn't even be room for padding except around the headstock (where you do NOT want to put any).

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
YES.
The break has to be caused by pressure on the headstock, and any padding on that is a possible pressure point. Best to have the support on the neck just below the nut with the headstock "free floating'" as with the provided case. With no damage to the outer container or the case itself, I would suspect the damage occurred prior to shipping and was either missed or hidden by whoever did it.

Hector

Reaction score
That's what I meant; the case is designed to protect the guitar. It's supposed to be fitted to the body so that the guitar doesn't move within it. Unless it's a universal case, there shouldn't even be room for padding except around the headstock (where you do NOT want to put any).
Agreed.

I have often wondered, however, how Gibson deals with a Slim Taper neck compared to the Rounded profile in a case.

Or even body thickness. One of my other Gibsons is an Les Paul CM. Rounded neck, but the body is half as thick as a regular Les Paul (but twice as heavy!) so I would imagine a regular Les Paul case would have a lot of "play" in the area around the body and through lever action, put a lot of pressure on the neck / head stock in a case (when not being played, it currently resides in a brown Gibson soft case for this very reason).

Hector

Reaction score
YES.
The break has to be caused by pressure on the headstock, and any padding on that is a possible pressure point. Best to have the support on the neck just below the nut with the headstock "free floating'" as with the provided case. With no damage to the outer container or the case itself, I would suspect the damage occurred prior to shipping and was either missed or hidden by whoever did it.

i supposed that is possible. Only way to know would be to inspect the guitar for some sort of impact damage that would cause the head stock to break off. If it broke in the case, I would imagine it would not show a point of impact...

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
It would be weird if a Gibson employee who was putting the guitar in its case dropped it and panicked, threw it in the case and then let UPS take the blame. Weird but understandable, because he/she would probably be fired on the spot be that careless with an expensive guitar like that.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I suppose there is always a possibility that it was just a hidden flaw or weakness in the wood that was not visible while under construction. That does happen with natural materials like wood or stone sometimes. If that is the case, it is fortunate that it showed itself right away instead of a year from now.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
YES.

That's why I was thinking the case must have been bent to the point where the headstock pressed against the side of the case. Or the play around the body allowed it to slide up and hit the top during an impact.

It's funny, my USA case is very snug. I wonder if this is another case of historical accuracy coming before practicality. Vintage cases aren't always the best for protection. I do love that they brought back the '60s yellow lining, though.

Agreed.

I have often wondered, however, how Gibson deals with a Slim Taper neck compared to the Rounded profile in a case.

Or even body thickness. One of my other Gibsons is an Les Paul CM. Rounded neck, but the body is half as thick as a regular Les Paul (but twice as heavy!) so I would imagine a regular Les Paul case would have a lot of "play" in the area around the body and through lever action, put a lot of pressure on the neck / head stock in a case (when not being played, it currently resides in a brown Gibson soft case for this very reason).

I think neck thickness probably doesn't matter so much because what is really supposed to hold it in place is the contouring around the body. Maybe it's even good to leave a little wiggle room for the neck? Because if it's really tight around the neck, any impact will then get transmitted to the neck.

I think the CM models came with soft cases, right? I'd imagine if they came with hardshells, they would indeed be designed for the thinner body. I've used my regular LP case for my weirdo bolt-on with a thin body and it definitely jostles around in there. It works fine for regular use, but I wouldn't want to ship it that way.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
It would be weird if a Gibson employee who was putting the guitar in its case dropped it and panicked, threw it in the case and then let UPS take the blame. Weird but understandable, because he/she would probably be fired on the spot be that careless with an expensive guitar like that.
I would have never thought of that. Are there any chips in the paint that suggest it was dropped? Because if it broke inside the case, the soft lining would probably prevent any chips where it made contact. I'd wager it was a shipping issue. I worked at UPS for a short time and it's mayhem in there.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
I would have never thought of that. Are there any chips in the paint that suggest it was dropped? Because if it broke inside the case, the soft lining would probably prevent any chips where it made contact. I'd wager it was a shipping issue. I worked at UPS for a short time and it's mayhem in there.
Since it is already on its way back to Tennessee, I can't say for sure. I didn't notice any paint chips in the case though, but then again there didn't seem to be any paint missing from around the break. The break, for all its ugliness, looked pretty clean, almost like someone stood the guitar up and then let it fall backward like a tree being cut down. It looked like the only thing connecting the headstock to the neck was the veneer and the binding otherwise I think the headstock would have been completely separated from the top of the neck. The case had no damage or scuffs that I could see and as I mentioned earlier it felt much heavier than any other conventional Gibson SG case I've ever owned, like there was a thin layer of steel bound in the lining somehow. The box indicated no damage as well. There was some definite play in how it sat in the case though, maybe shifting about an inch back and forth.

Honorrey45

Reaction score
A beautiful guitar like that should always have extra protection for it. This doesn't speak well. My sincere condolence to you sir.

Gibbo SG

Reaction score
I think it was that way from the factory. I would have a professional do the repair and be done with new Gibsons for good. After this thread, I know I am.

MR D

Reaction score
Since it is already on its way back to Tennessee, I can't say for sure. I didn't notice any paint chips in the case though, but then again there didn't seem to be any paint missing from around the break. The break, for all its ugliness, looked pretty clean, almost like someone stood the guitar up and then let it fall backward like a tree being cut down. It looked like the only thing connecting the headstock to the neck was the veneer and the binding otherwise I think the headstock would have been completely separated from the top of the neck. The case had no damage or scuffs that I could see and as I mentioned earlier it felt much heavier than any other conventional Gibson SG case I've ever owned, like there was a thin layer of steel bound in the lining somehow. The box indicated no damage as well. There was some definite play in how it sat in the case though, maybe shifting about an inch back and forth.
YO DUDE, Ur Killin me with the decision not yet announced (unless I missed it !)...Whats it gonna be Bro ?

Replacement or Refund ?

Seeing as it was a 'Glenn Buxton' inspired purchase (The lead in 'Schools Out' should sound NASTY !)..Imma thinkin its REPLACEMENT time ? Yes?.....it just looks so BAD-A$$ ! Whatta shame of a Guitar like that to be cracked.....IDR if U mentioned it has Custom-Buckers or not. I have yet to play an SG w/CB's...the NUT width is ?(1-11/16ths? or 1-9/16ths ?) A true Re-Issue of a '63 CUSTOM, IDK what the specs would be on the NUT ('61 was 1-9/16"?) but it could be found out easily enough...

I've noticed over the years that GIBSON plays fast and loose with its 'Re-Issue' specs, did you see any differences between the RI and the Original '63 CUSTOM?

If it were me, I'd be droolin over what the REPLACEMNT is gonna sound like ! A KILLER !!! KILLER !!! KILLER !!!! So totally BAD-A$$$ OMG !

Latest posts