Adding a Maestro Vibrola to a Standard SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by FF71, Apr 23, 2021.

1. FF71

FF71 New Member

I really love the look of an SG with one. Even thought about going the "Derek Trucks" route with the Faux Vibrola. Anyone done it? Do you regret it? How did you cover the old holes? Please post a photo of yours.

2. Bob L

Bob L Member

I bought my 64 Standard used in 1974. The previous owner had removed the Maestro and installed a Bigsby. It was not the right Bigsby for a flat top, and he routed the body to accommodate it. I didn't like the look and because of the mounting compromise, the Bigsby was nearly unusable. I had the rout patched and a current replacement Maestro installed. I think it looks better and the tone and sustain are better.

Here are before and after photos.

64sg before repairs.jpg

IMG_1774 resized.jpg

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Why not sell the SG you have without a Maestro and get an SG that already has a factory Maestro installed?

There’s so many SG available with and without a Maestro that there is no need to hack up a good stock SG, especially if it’s a feature that is just for looks.

More often than not, too many people hack up perfectly good stock guitars with irreversible mods and still end up selling them because things did not work out as expected or for whatever other reason.

4. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Good call! Not only was the Bigsby an ugly hack job but it was barely functional as well. (heck I'd privately say it was even hideously stoopid looking..)

So Do NOT listen to the haters man.

You did this guitar some proper & straight-up righteous justice. Frankly, you should get an ESG Merit Badge! Or at least a lapel pin. Ah screw it, I think nothing short of being awarded a gotdang honorary plaque for valiant service, standards of excellence & overall dedication rendered to this SG will do here!

upload_2021-4-27_10-22-5.png

There ya go pal! Keep up the nice work!

5. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

IDK if your after just looks or functionality or BOTH ? But if its functionality you are after a Duesenberg Les Trem II is the ticket, on and off the axe in seconds, no mods ! I have both the Doozy LT-II and Chrome Maestro's on SG Standards and from a performance point of view, the Doozy is slightly better as far as tuning goes, as for looks, well, as you know the MAESTRO has the Doozy beat by a long ways !

As usual I can not post pics due to pic size restrictions on this here website.

Actually, I was being kind about the Maestro, as far as tuning stability goes the Doozy LT-II has the Maestro beat hands down, its not even close.I did a test beating before I posted this, and yeah, its not even close.. some people want tuning stability, go figure. Some people are vainity driven.Some want both, but....if your playing in front of an audience.....lots of people DGAS what your guitar looks like..... but a lot of people will notice if your out of tune, u will too.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I like the function of both the bigsby and the maestro.

The biggest problem is covering up the tailpiece holes to make it look nice.

AND there has been a pretty large resurgence of maestro equipped sg's lately, like @cerebral gasket sez, trade or sell and get a factory equipped one.

I would disown a child if they ever got that duesenberg or les trem crap. That is the singlemost fugly thing you can put on an instrument. don't give a flying #$%# if it's stable or folds your laundry, it's #$)&ing ugly.

7. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Bwah ha ha, you would disown a child over a $125 piece of removable German Engineered Chrome? BWAH HA HA, !!!

8. kongssund

kongssund Member

If you found the one, do what you want. I just prefer the look, so it`s not coming off :)
    sfgsg.PNG

FF71 and jota like this.
  9. Zman28

Zman28 New Member

Many years ago I wanted to replace the P90s in my Special with humbuckers. I have owned it since 1970. A very wise guitar tech told me back then, what others have said, don't do it. Just buy another one that came with humbuckers. I followed his advise and I still have my P90 guitar in pristine condition. I have many HB guitars but I treasure my Special. I would say the same thing to you.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  10. TJR

TJR New Member

I’ve seen these where it’s not the whole vibrola setup. What’s the deal, why not just throw the whole thing on there? I always thought it looked weird with the normal tailpiece plus the vibrola plate.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  11. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

I have to agree with you there, if I wanted the look I would just go all in and get the fully functional vibrato unit. I currently have more hard tails than I have vibrato equipped guitars (all fender style units at the moment), one more of a different flavor certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings one little bit. :dude:

TJR likes this.
  12. FF71

FF71 New Member

How's the neck dive with the Grovers? I have a set laying around, but I feel that with the vibrola plate it really helped the guitar to be more balanced with the Deluxe Klusons.

[​IMG]

13. kongssund

kongssund Member

I use a leather strap, so no neck dive. With a nylon strap, it dives a bit

14. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

now im curious...can u actually just buy the plate itself?

15. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

16. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

17. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I'm shocked!

18. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan New Member

19. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Those late 60's SG Specials are my favorite. My first SG was a 1969 SG Special.

Back in the day some folks routed their SG Specials for full size humbuckers. Today, that is not necessary now that we have Fralin and Kinman P-90's which are available with hum cancelling options.

My favorite pup combo is a P-90 at the neck for cleans and a hum cancelling P-90 at the bridge for hi gain use.