Adding bigsby with a wraparound bridge

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by kaizer, Aug 31, 2014.

1. kaizer

kaizer New Member

So I have a Gibson SG Special HH with a wraparound bridge and absolutely love the guitar! I was thinking of adding a bigsby to make it a little more usable, anyone tried anything like this? whats are the pitfalls?[​IMG]

2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Ive seen um on here but i think there the intonable ones with the string notches cut in tbem.dont see why it wouldnt work

3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Thats a great looking guitar. I am certain others who have done this mod will be along to be more helpful.

Congrats and welcome :)

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

That SG special looks great just the way it is to my eye.

If that's yours and not some stock photo, I'd leave it alone. The wood is beautiful.

The simple SG special with the wraparound bridge has a reputation for excellent tone,
    so if you clutter it up with hardware you run the risk of destroying its best qualities.

It's also possible that the holes for the wraparound bridge posts are drilled at an angle
    and the holes for the Nashville bridge posts are drilled straight across. I'm not sure about that on your model, but if it's true, it means that the luthier would put dowels in the existing holes, and re-drill for the bigsby and the new bridge, doing irreversible harm and destroying your guitar's value.

Bad idea IMHO. If you want a dive bomber, you should get a guitar with a Floyd Rose as part of the design. I would honor your wrapover SG for the tone that it has, and use it for that.

Alternately, it's possible to put a B-5 Bigsby on an SG with a Tuna Matic bridge without
    wrecking its value... the Bigsby goes right where the Tailpiece was, and requires no drilling, and the Tuna Matic bridge gives proper intonation. That works, although you might want to replace the Tuna matic with a roller bridge. That will cut down on tuning problems due to friction. That's an easy mod, and works well. (but not with the wrapover bridge IMHO).

alexander paul and Biddlin like this.
  5. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

If you put a Bigsby on a guitar with a stop-bar, the stop-bar will move around while playing. I have a Maestro Tremolo on my '69 Junior, and the tailpiece likes to migrate while playing. To cure that, I got a set of the Tone-Pros locking studs. They work the dog's whatsits, and the stop-bar no longer migrates if I use the trem.

Biddlin likes this.
  6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

+1 Bad idea IMHO.
    You have a great guitar, don't jack it up.
    A good used faded Special with a stopbar and TOM goes for $400-500. By the time you've saved that, maybe you'll have acquired the wisdom to want a Maestro Vibrola!:laugh2:
    ;>)/

koaguilds likes this.
  7. Biddlin

You should probably have purchased it that way, new.:naughty:

You haven't strung one up, before.:naughty:

You must have scratched the body and need a cover-up.:applause:

You had to do something with it, now that your 68 VW bus is gone and you won't need it for an accelerator pedal. :dude:

You just can't get that Harmony Rocket to sink, without it.:laugh2:
    [​IMG]

;>)/

58pit likes this.
  8. kaizer

kaizer New Member

I'm really not concerned with maintaining value, I'm not looking to cover anything ether, I play the guitar for fun, allowing the guitar you like to do more is fun. It would be the difference between enjoying doing ventures covers(and I already do) and really enjoying playing them.

I have a first pressing of Loves Forever Changes, and a friend of mine who collected records would yell at me all the time for listening to it, saying I was ruining the value and I should sell it to him. I don't see a point in having something great if your not willing to enjoy it. I can't take my records or guitars to heaven with me(I'd need a really, really big casket).

9. Biddlin

"So I have a Gibson SG Special HH with a wraparound bridge and absolutely love the guitar!"
    Adding a Bigsby will forever change the character, i.e. feel, performance and tone, of the guitar for which you assert absolute love. :hmm:
    If I disliked a client enough:naughty:, I might accede to a configuration like this:
    [​IMG]
    setting the insidious device far enough back, to leave the rear of the bridge unencumbered by string and allow a reasonable break angle from the roller. Even at that, you can see that this industrious soul has already regretted his decision and is running the string over the top of the roller bar, rendering the new hardware, ornamental, at best. :dunno:
    It's your sundae, so top it how you like. :thumb:
    ;>)/

10. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Running the strings over the top of the roller bar will work just fine. It will raise the break angle a little, though, which could be the reason it's been done on that one.

That said, not sure I'd try it on a wraparound.

LeadFinger likes this.
  11. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

The way its strung up the Bigsby is still operatable though.that looks just like my guitar only my Bigsby is forward a bit more than that.and in all honesty i put mine on there as more of a ornimental piece.hell i dont know what to do with it anyway which is probably assinine but i did it and as long as its not being used it stays in tune really well. Adds alittle heft to the beast to

12. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

My answer to this is easy..
    Short Maestro Vibrola..
    Cheaper than a Bigsby, works well with wraparound, and ultimately, you can pull the string comb/handle off and go wraparound anytime you want.
    Not to mention keeps with the "Special" vibe..:thumb:

mrk, Col Mustard, tolm and 1 other person like this.
  13. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Doesn't Schaller make a unit specifically for that type of guitar?

14. Biddlin

Bigsbys have a minimal drop range, if nominally set up. Over the top yields barely a shimmer, but sometimes improves other, non-tremolo, functions. I get the industrial aesthetic, but for me, it is functionally and aesthetically more suited to archtops, like ES-295s and Les Pauls. If you want to add some heft, put in an active eq.
    ;>)/

Col Mustard and LeadFinger like this.
  15. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I was wondering about the ins and outs of over-the-top stringing and Bigsby issues.

16. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

I had a Gretsch with a B3 - which doesn't have a roller bar. Best vibrato action of any Bigsby I've played.

Biddlin likes this.
  17. Biddlin

Almost like it was designed to be built that way, yeah? :laugh2:
    I had one of the Harrison autographs in my hand, Saturday. A great player and the B3 works flawlessly.
    ;>)/

18. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I own this.
    The Bigsby works fine
    and the guitar stays in tune.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Biddlin, SG John and lineboat like this.
  19. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

That Guild is SWEET!

20. R.A.F.

R.A.F. Active Member

Yep. B3's are cool.