Adding bigsby with a wraparound bridge

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by kaizer, Aug 31, 2014.

1. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

That Guild is sweet there Tonym

2. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Well, it had a tuneomatic bridge and non-locking tuners so I'm not sure anything had been done specifically in the design. The B3 has less "angles" for the strings to follow, though, which I think helps keep the mechanism smooth.

I may put a B3 on my 335 but the nut will need some attention first - I can hear strings sticking and pinging when tuning up. It's okay playing normally but I reckon it'll play havoc with tuning stability if I slap a tremolo on there!

3. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    Ha!, I got her cousin :laugh2:

[​IMG]

That B-3 works really good, no complains. First it had a B-7 that the previous owner changed (still can't understand why). I didn't stopped until he got the original one and gave it to me.... After that, Y swapped pickups into P-94 and Bridge from ebony to a Gretsch roller (all changes easilly retrofitted)

[​IMG]

Regarding with the topic.

I DID IT.... really bad idea. Look!

[​IMG]

Bridge stays there due the stings tension and angle, no problem. The problem is that that bridge is not notched and strings go out of place once and twice and always. No good at all.

So, I made big works at the guitar and loaded an N-ville... Now much better. No problem at all

[​IMG]

smitty_p likes this.
  4. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Do it how I did mine, you won't regret it ! ! !
    1973-SG-II.jpg

Bigsby's are BEST ! ! !

5. pingdum

pingdum Member

I put a Bigsby on my Special II and love it. It did change the tone, but for the better in my mind. It got more open.
    As far as the wrap around, I would suggest a roller type bridge. I set it way back and use the roller bar.

6. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

My '66 had a short Maestro with a wraparound bridge. It came that way. It was not usable The Maestro was never used, and eventually removed and lost. Ahh. Much better.

A Bigsby will cost you $160 or so. Professional installation another $100.

I'd save your beautiful guitar, put some money away, then look for a guitar with a tremelo already on it.

PS -- Bigsbys are cool, but they give you a smooth shallow wobble. Not what most modern players are looking for.

P.

7. WallaceWinston

WallaceWinston Active Member

Sorry for bringing back a dead topic but what about a b3 on a wrap tail? What did you end up doing?

8. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

id advise using Tonepros locking tailpiece studs if ur gonna put a Bigsby on a wrap tail guitar.there kind of a PITA but they do hold it solid.

ScottMarlowe likes this.