Advant Garde Music?

Larry

Reaction score
Lawn Giland, New Yawk (as we natives call it)
I just heard a.....(well, I really don't know what it was)......thing by a group called the Zs. Apparently they are a well known "Advant Garde" group. It was the most bizarre type of music I have ever heard and makes Rap and Hip-Hop sound like Beethoven in comparison.

Do people actually listen to this stuff??

"www.zzzsss.com"

vkgphil

Reaction score
well... i can hear a little of zappa's orchestral influence... its ok i wouldn't be seeking it out but i listened to the five mp3 clips on their site. experimental in nature but very syncopated no? i see the pics show them sitting in front of huge charts so its been carefully constructed. i wish em continued success... they have found some of it obviously.

i noticed in the news section that their newest cd was played on the howard stern show for what that is worth (other than having a million listeners hear it)

alexrules43

Reaction score
Avant-garde in music refers to an extreme form of musical improvisation in which little or no regard is given by soloists to any underlying chord structure or rhythm, such as free jazz and some forms of noise music. It can often refer to any form of experimental music, even those working within the traditional structures. An extreme example here is 4'33" by John Cage, in which no instrument is played in the traditional sense, yet the audience still leaves with the tangible experience that something happened within a performance. Since the experience of this particular work is unique to every audience, it might be argued that this piece is perennially avant-garde.

I find it interesting. ???

Voxman

Staff Member
Reaction score
With this kind of music some have the ears for it and some don't with the argument being that it might or might not border on even being music in the foist place hence how one hears it or another does.

mickeyfrets

Reaction score
I think its alright myself. I listened to 2 of the clips though they are very short. That stuff is harder to play than you might think. Zappa took a lot from avant garde composers and not the other way around, though he probably has influenced these guys.
An extreme example here is 4'33" by John Cage, in which no instrument is played in the traditional sense, yet the audience still leaves with the tangible experience that something happened within a performance.

Cage's 4'33" was 4 minutes and 33 seconds of absolute silence and was minimalism taken to the extreme.

Steve Reich is worth checking out if you like minimalism especially his Electric Counterpoint for guitar ensemble.

alexrules43

Reaction score
The Grateful Dead were also heavily influenced by avant-garde. According to Phil Lesh's autobiography, many of his collegiate friends were interested in it as well, going so far as composing.

Six String

Staff Member
Reaction score
It's ahhh................ ummmmmmm................... errrr.................... differant?

mickeyfrets

Reaction score
I love jazz, but I wouldn't really describe these recordings as jazz. I love Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Django Rheindhart etc. These guys IMO are better players than Hendrix, Clapton, Van Halen etc.

Zeppelin Rules

Reaction score
Its different and probably doesn't appeal to everyone but I think thats the point. I see what you mean Phil in the Zappa-ness. Its not something I'd go out of my way to listen too, but some of the fusion stuff I listen too isn't too far removed from it.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
i checked the first two and have to say I'd listen to them before rap any day! The first one was strange but interesting. The second one was just mostly a beat but didn't annoy me like rap does.

Larry

Reaction score
Lawn Giland, New Yawk (as we natives call it)
Hmmm......I still don't get it. To me, "minimalism" means you're too lazy to make an effort to create something. As far as "art", has anyone ever seen the Murphy Brown episode where Eldon shows his art for the first time? It's a classic and so true.

vkgphil

Reaction score
i know what show murphy brown was and used to catch it most of the time but it has left my brain for sometime now.

as far a minimalism, well its not for everyone. the space between notes is just as important as the notes sometimes. when i see that term i tend to think of ambient styles of music but im sure im off base there.

this thread makes me think about Einstürzende Neubauten whom i found very interesting 'back in the day' and have a few lps and mp3s off... maybe on the industrial side

good stuff

Latest posts